What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

x2go Server

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager
WARNING! - Using any type of Desktop GUI on a remote server can be a security risk - I am looking into having X2Go Server as a Docker container so that it can be stopped when not in use - so use this guide at your own risk!

Install X2Go Server & Client

If you are like me and prefer to have a desktop environment to check out then you could try installing a few different options like TeamViewer, I personally use X2Go as it's lightweight, here are the steps I take when installing:-

NOTE: Make sure you install this from your chosen user account and not from root! - CLICK HERE for instructions
Install the X2Go Server on your Remote Server:
Code:
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:x2go/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install x2goserver x2goserver-xsession
sudo apt-get install xfce4
Install the X2Go client on your main pc/laptop from HERE!
Once X2Go client is started you will need to add your remote server details to a New Session
In the Server box next to Host: put your servers IP
Next to Login: put the username you use
Then in the Session type box change from KDE to XFCE and click OK
Now you can double click the newly created session and put in your password

Then once logged in I normally do the following in a terminal window:-
- For editing text files
sudo apt-get install gedit

- An easier to use terminal emulator
sudo apt-get install gnome-terminal

- This is to install opera web browser
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository 'deb https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free'
wget -qO- https://deb.opera.com/archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install opera-stable
Now go up to Applications in top right corner
Hover over Settings
Select Preferred Applications
For Web Browsing choose Opera
Then click on Utilities tab and change Terminal Emulator to Gnome terminal

Now you can go to localhost:32400/web in Opera so you can claim your Plex Media Server if still needing to!:p

If you have problems with dbus xfce4 when trying x2go, then from command line as root user (obviously change your-username to whatever one you actually use):-
chown your-username:your-username -R /home/your-username

Last edited:

DeadPool

DT
I cannot get past the connection page with x2go.(yes i have double, no triple, checked that x2go installed on server)...
i get error:

connection failed mesg: ttyname name failed: inappropriate ioctl for device bash: x2golistsessions: command not found

soem research indicates this might be soemthing to do with profiles(and me not yet having set one ont he server?)

Any help greatly appreciated.
getting this thing up and running is like running in mud, driving me crazy.

Any help appreciated

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager
DT
I cannot get past the connection page with x2go.(yes i have double, no triple, checked that x2go installed on server)...
i get error:

connection failed mesg: ttyname name failed: inappropriate ioctl for device bash: x2golistsessions: command not found

soem research indicates this might be soemthing to do with profiles(and me not yet having set one ont he server?)

Any help greatly appreciated.
getting this thing up and running is like running in mud, driving me crazy.

Any help appreciated
Hey there!:)
Oh you are having an uphill struggle!o_O

Just doing a quick search and found this:-
In your /home/user/.profile add the following line :
tty -s && mesg n
... and remove any other "mesg" line which is the root cause of the problem
(Obviously change user for your actual username)
So you will need to type:
nano /home/yourusername/.profile

The rest is found at:-
https://askubuntu.com/questions/819793/cant-connect-with-vps-running-ubuntu-server-16-with-x2go

Try that and if you still have issues then maybe temporarily change your password and private message me with your IP and login details and I'll try from my end to see if I can resolve it for you?!

DeadPool

i found that during my own searching many hours ago.lol.
but do not understand how to proceed..
how to i change the profile?

---- Automatically Merged Double Post ----

Hey there!:)
Oh you are having an uphill struggle!o_O

Just doing a quick search and found this:-

(Obviously change user for your actual username)
So you will need to type:
nano /home/yourusername/.profile

The rest is found at:-
https://askubuntu.com/questions/819793/cant-connect-with-vps-running-ubuntu-server-16-with-x2go

Try that and if you still have issues then maybe temporarily change your password and private message me with your IP and login details and I'll try from my end to see if I can resolve it for you?!
struggling like Sisyphus man! :LOL:
PM sent.

THANKS!
:)

Last edited:

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager
Just an update for those wondering....

I have added a note to the instructions to make sure you install x2go with the user you should've set up ideally before installing PlexGuide, as using root all the time is bad practice and can cause you to break your ubuntu install!:geek:
I believe x2go doesn't like being installed from root either!:LOL:

DeadPool

hi DT! (et al)
wondering if we could implement a(the 'best' one) method of containerising a desktop environment within PG, so it is installed as an option within the plexguide installer processes?
for example i REALLY Struggle without a desktop and each time i 're-do' a new server i spend absolutely bloody ages trying to gain access to the desktop environment...
gnome, kde plasma, unity(deprecated) etc and then add the further complications of wayland,lightdm etc etc... would really help those n00bs of us out who need the extra 'help' of visualisation.
?????????????
PS happy to start my own thread on this if necessary but there are only a few 'desktop environment' threads and this is the latest and closest to what i need.
TTFN

haha i am a PUTZ!
i re-read in the title DT wanting to (in future) implement x2go into a container(so--i cant read---but i CAN have a good idea(even though not original!) HA )
could we not also have a selection of other 'desktop access tools' such as TV,Realvnc,X2Go available to install from the plexguide installer?
(obviously with the necessary warnings about dangers written to the mini faq)

Last edited:

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager
hi DT! (et al)
wondering if we could implement a(the 'best' one) method of containerising a desktop environment within PG, so it is installed as an option within the plexguide installer processes?
for example i REALLY Struggle without a desktop and each time i 're-do' a new server i spend absolutely bloody ages trying to gain access to the desktop environment...
gnome, kde plasma, unity(deprecated) etc and then add the further complications of wayland,lightdm etc etc... would really help those n00bs of us out who need the extra 'help' of visualisation.
?????????????
PS happy to start my own thread on this if necessary but there are only a few 'desktop environment' threads and this is the latest and closest to what i need.
TTFN

haha i am a PUTZ!
i re-read in the title DT wanting to (in future) implement x2go into a container(so--i cant read---but i CAN have a good idea(even though not original!) HA )
could we not also have a selection of other 'desktop access tools' such as TV,Realvnc,X2Go available to install from the plexguide installer?
(obviously with the necessary warnings about dangers written to the mini faq)

Hey how's it!?:D

I was trying with x2go but it's on a back burner for now whilst we're working on PGDrive Encrypt.
I'm not really good at coding but there are others here that are amazing...especially with things like Docker.:)
So defo start a new thread on the topic and add any links for useful containers you've found to show you've done some research into it otherwise you may get a message from @Admin9705 pointing back to our FAQ's stating that your idea is out of scope or Scope CREEP!:p

I did find out the other day from @Desgyz that you can write up an ansible script that will setup new servers for you without you having to go through the basic steps every time.
Have a look HERE for a base to work from.

I hope to do the same soon when I have a bit more time and if it works well then I may either add a wiki for it or setup another base script users can edit for themselves.:geek:

Better still....if you figure out how to make those containers then you can fork plexguide from GitHub, add your containers to it then we can merge it back into plexguide plus you will get all the credit for it!;):giggle:

Last edited:

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager
@DeadPool Finally got an x2go server container going....it won't give you full access to your server but you can access /mnt and /opt plus use a web browser!;)

https://plexguide.com/wikis/x2go/

But if you really want to risk it then maybe you can edit the container to include / root directory and map it to another mount point to avoid conflict but you are better off using ssh from the terminal from within the container!

Last edited:

DeadPool

super effort on dt's part but personally i found the mounts limitation and constant new passwords a bit of a chore.
despite this i still follow DT's original x2go wiki setting up server and storing the session on the client side as best way to go re wanting desktop environment.
EITHER WAY please note dudes and dudettes that acheiving a constant stable and EASY desktop connex into ubuntu is STILL(now after two months of trying) a bloody ballache.
In all honesty TV host is probably the best way for most but that is in itself another whole story.
PEACE

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Development Donations

Top NZB NewsGroups!

Members - Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors