What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Where do I start?

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

AllSeven

Blitz 3rd Class
So I'm a long time plex user who has been running my old gaming machines as servers using a mixture of internal and external usb hard drives running windows 10. I have around 110-120TB of media spread across like 17 different drives. I'd like to move to gdrive hosted storage while still using my local machine to run plex, handle downloads/etc. I'm moderately comfortable with linux and I have gigabit internet at the house. How do I make the transition without being down for a month+ while everything moves to gdrive? I'm not looking so much for specific instructions so much as, can I install pgblitz with local storage and then use it to move everything to gdrive while simultaneously running plex to serve the media, or is there an analogous program to pgblitz that I can use to quickly move the files from my windows os before shutting it down and then just setting up pgblitz in gdrive mode?

Hope that made some sense and any advice would be appreciated.

Porkie

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Depending on your home upload connection and that much data you might be faster just to re download rather than upload from your home connection. Here in the UK I have excellent download speed (300mbs) but upload is almost none (20mbps) and it would take me years probably to upload that amount of data.

AllSeven

Blitz 3rd Class
What you could do though is combine the both, local and remote files which would much easier.
I get 800-900 mbps both up and down so my connection is pretty solid.

Generally speaking how would I need to install it to do both and setting it up that way could I eventually wind up moving most media to gdrive?

Porkie

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
What I did was setup PGblitz remotely just as a feeder to gsuite, then locally I mounted my gsuite with rclone and added both my local media paths and the rclone mounted paths to plex.

nachobel

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Donor
What I'd do if I were you is install rclone on your windows machine and shuttle all of your media into the cloud. This will take some time.

Once that's set up, now you've got a backup and you can cold store most of those drives and get PGBlitz setup on a linux machine locally or in the cloud. Since your media is already in GDrive (or a Team Drive which you'd likely prefer on gigabit internet - so get that setup and upload all your media directly there), when you point PG at that drive it'll be able to see everything and setup your new Plex Server. This will take some time also but only a day or so and not months. Then anything new is added as it comes.

One note - I'm not sure what your quality currently is but I had a library amassed primarily with torrents, but once I get into PG I switched over to Usenet and my average file size ballooned from 2-3 gigs to 15-20 gigs, so I ended up replacing almost all of the media I already had.

Good luck and welcome!

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
What I'd do if I were you is install rclone on your windows machine and shuttle all of your media into the cloud. This will take some time.

Once that's set up, now you've got a backup and you can cold store most of those drives and get PGBlitz setup on a linux machine locally or in the cloud. Since your media is already in GDrive (or a Team Drive which you'd likely prefer on gigabit internet - so get that setup and upload all your media directly there), when you point PG at that drive it'll be able to see everything and setup your new Plex Server. This will take some time also but only a day or so and not months. Then anything new is added as it comes.

One note - I'm not sure what your quality currently is but I had a library amassed primarily with torrents, but once I get into PG I switched over to Usenet and my average file size ballooned from 2-3 gigs to 15-20 gigs, so I ended up replacing almost all of the media I already had.

Good luck and welcome!
yep and the irony was Usenet was it’s way out of the door prior to automations

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.