What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Discussion What Provider to go with Newsgroupdirect?

MrSweet1991

Blitz Sergeant
Hi All,

I've been told tweaknews may be a good option to go with newsgroupdirect but I wanted to get some opinions from others before I purchase, I've looked on Reddit at the usenet provider map an for the life of me I just don't get that map. Before reading it I thought I understood it, pick one from a different backbone but then others jumped in and said not necessarily the case as different countries with different servers may x, y and z so I got a little lost but I need to get one asap a newsgroupirect have blocked my connection due to download cap on my "unlimited account" lol

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Newsgroup direct has 3 locations, use them all. For current stuff you shouldn't need anything else, for older stuff I personally combine it with Eweka with very good completion rates, its just speed limited.

MrSweet1991

Blitz Sergeant
I didn't receive a notification for this reply but wow eweka has an amazing retention and is unlimited (that said, d
so was NGD) but downloads are active again so I'll have to see how it goes. Thanks for the recommendation.

Porkie

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Newsgroup Ninja are really good, they have good retention 3500 days and they are unlimited unlike NGD. https://www.newsgroup.ninja/en

They could be on the same backbone, but if they are I would recommend changing to Ninja.

Last edited:

unbew

Blitz 3rd Class
Newsgroup Ninja is on the same backbone as Newsgroupdirect (Highwinds) so that won't help at all. Tweaknews and Eweka would be both great compliments to Newsgroupdirect - they are on separate backbones. Eweka only sells unlimited accounts (not blocks) and Tweaknews sells both unlimited and blocks, but the block accounts are limited to 100 mbs download speeds.

Usenet Express is also another options as they are on a separate backbone from Newsgroupdirect, but their retention is not as long as Eweka and Tweaknews. They would mostly help with newer content.

deva5610

Blitz 3rd Class
Donor
Donor
I'd recommend not using Ninja. They're now owned by Omicron who own and run the backbone that resellers like Newsgroupdirect, Newsdemon, etc are operating on. Now there's nothing wrong with that except that they're using Ninja as a tool to sell at below the costs their other (non related) resellers can achieve.

Essentially they're trying to starve out the resellers to have the market to themselves, and then who knows what happens after that. Not something I want to support.

That rant out of the way I'd say listen to unbew. Ninja would be useless for you with NGD as they're the same backbone.

I'm using Eweka and NewsDemon (sister company to NGD) and am seeing great completion rates. In the past week I've pulled 3TB via ND, 1.5TB with Eweka and I've hit my Tweaknews block for 25MB. I think I've had maybe 2-5% of my downloads fail give or take.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Development Donations

Top NZB NewsGroups!

Members - Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending