What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

VPS or Dedi

Barrow1990

Hi All, I know this has being asked plenty of times. But im struggling to put my finger on what i require. I want to have either a VPS or Dedi for £15pm that will handle plex and usenet downloads and upload them upto an encrypted tdrive. The plex requirements are that it requires 3 Users direct play with 1 transcoding (iOS Device)

alpha343

The answer seems to be "it depends" - direct streaming doesn't use much cpu it'll more be about available bandwidth if they're large files and all streaming at the same time, 1 transcode spikes my hetzner vps with 4vcores to around 90% for a while. I don't think it'd have a major effect on people direct streaming at the same time but I've never had more than 1 transcode and 1 direct at the same time.

No harm in trying a hetzner cloud server for a few days maybe then just cancel it since it's pay by the hour if it doesn't work out

Barrow1990

The answer seems to be "it depends" - direct streaming doesn't use much cpu it'll more be about available bandwidth if they're large files and all streaming at the same time, 1 transcode spikes my hetzner vps with 4vcores to around 90% for a while. I don't think it'd have a major effect on people direct streaming at the same time but I've never had more than 1 transcode and 1 direct at the same time.

No harm in trying a hetzner cloud server for a few days maybe then just cancel it since it's pay by the hour if it doesn't work out
Cheers. Was thinking of using contabo.com, netcup.eu or hetzner. I find hetzner are fair expensive. But seem to be the choice on these forums. Struggling to find reliable reviews of the other services.

alpha343

Your benefit of using hetzner cloud to see performance is you can run it for a couple of days for not much money then just delete it

Barrow1990

Your benefit of using hetzner cloud to see performance is you can run it for a couple of days for not much money then just delete it
Ive has a mini VPs from Afterburst which was sweet until I put on all the apps and it was pegged at 100% all the time and that’s without any streaming. Would you recommend the Hetzner over say contabo or netcup? Just thinking from a price point of view

alpha343

I've not used either - although quite a few people on here use netcup, only issue with them seems to be people having difficulty cancelling

Barrow1990

I've not used either - although quite a few people on here use netcup, only issue with them seems to be people having difficulty cancelling
Yea that’s my worry. I’m thinking I’ll just go with hetzner and then possibly migrate to an auction server

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Hetzner Cloud every single time for testing. Netcup are a joke to deal with, I won my paypal dispute with them, got a refund... they are still trying (and failing) to recover the money they claim I owe them.

Personally I use a VPS 8GB/160GB/2c/4t on 400/400. Works great as a download feeder.

Barrow1990

Hetzner Cloud every single time for testing. Netcup are a joke to deal with, I won my paypal dispute with them, got a refund... they are still trying (and failing) to recover the money they claim I owe them.

Personally I use a VPS 8GB/160GB/2c/4t on 400/400. Works great as a download feeder.
What would you recommend then for my use case? What server is that for? And what do you use for your Plex server?

M

MrDoob

I use hetzner ex42-HDD + 240gb SSD the old one

Old one : 7 streams without any problems

The NEW one EX42-HDD + 2 X 500GB NVME ( HWRAID 1 )
that's to expensive and to much for 4 User only .

New one 10 - 12 streams without any problems

I7-7700k
64gb RAM

For you is the NVME more then enough.

But please don't use the SB40 or SB32 that's crap and to old.

Location : Helsinki is pretty fast and 0 problems to all around the world

Barrow1990

And please 15£ is pretty cheap :(

You want an Porsche , but you want pay a bus ticket.
So for £15 your saying thats unrealistic to have a reasonable vps/dedi for 4 users?
I was thinking of getting an auction server for around 23eur mark with a benchmark of around 9000 with ssd.
But thats after trying the hetzner cloud.

Last edited:

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
So for £15 your saying thats unrealistic to have a reasonable vps/dedi for 4 users?
I was thinking of getting an auction server for around 23eur mark with a benchmark of around 9000 with ssd.
But thats after trying the hetzner cloud.
it depends on the size of the files, their location, and if they are all playing at the same time.

captngimpy

Staff
Hetzner Auction - you can pick up a pretty good server for like 20-25euro a month.
€ 21.85 / month
135h 49m left

• Intel Core i7-3770
  • (CPU-B 9445)
2x 3 TB
16 GB

Barrow1990

it depends on the size of the files, their location, and if they are all playing at the same time.
Files are 2-4GB for TV Shows and 8-15GB for Movies stored on TCrypt

Hetzner Auction - you can pick up a pretty good server for like 20-25euro a month.
€ 21.85 / month
135h 49m left

• Intel Core i7-3770
  • (CPU-B 9445)
2x 3 TB
16 GB
That’s the sort of server im looking for. All be i would prefer SSD over the 2x3TB HDD.
Also ive not found anything at that sort of money. The cheapest i seem to find is € 26.22 / month

Ive signed upto a CX21 last night and was impressed how quickly i managed to install pgblitz on it.

Will be configuring the docker apps this evening and ill test the performance compared to the afterburst.com vps.
So far so good. I can see why people recommend them.

What SSD/HDD is recommended? Will I gain a lot by sticking to me initially thoughts and going with a SSD on the auction side (At the moment the SSD Dedis are out of my budget) or would HDD/EHDD suffice?

Last edited:

Barrow1990

I used vps for a long time but one i used a dedi and learnt my way around blitz i'd never go back to a vps they are just not good enough
I know what you mean now. I decided on a netcup.eu RS1000 G8 and its night and day over a VPS.
Im considering upgrading to the RS2000 G8 as when i download stuff i peg the 2 CPUs at 100%.
Downloads come in at an average of 70MB/s.
If i decide to use this server with plex ill probably upgrade to either the RS2000 G8 or the RS4000 G8SE.

Alegeek

I have the VPS 2000 G8 PLUS from netcup which is from their vServer range, it's a special for 14,49 per month and comes with 1.5TB Raid 10 diskspace and it makes use of Optane memory to give faster disc access speeds, I've got access to 8 cores too and the server has been amazing so far!

They currently have the following on offer with 4 dedicated cores, https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2208. Their SAS storage range handles large amounts of downloads without any issues.

Barrow1990

I have the VPS 2000 G8 PLUS from netcup which is from their vServer range, it's a special for 14,49 per month and comes with 1.5TB Raid 10 diskspace and it makes use of Optane memory to give faster disc access speeds, I've got access to 8 cores too and the server has been amazing so far!

They currently have the following on offer with 4 dedicated cores, https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2208. Their SAS storage range handles large amounts of downloads without any issues.
Would you recommend that over the RS1000 then?
What do you use it for?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.