Unable to claim Plex Server

seanweldon

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
I have successfully installed nzbget and sonarr and have it downloading TV shows. I'm now attempting to get Plex installed and setup. I run through the Plexguide installer, selecting 'Plex Public' and 'Plex Local System' as this Plex instance is on the same physical server as everything else. The installation completes, and it gives me the URLs to go to for 'First Time Plex Claim Notice'. I go to the privateIP:32400/web address, it re-routes me to https://app.plex.tv/auth/**************************, and I login. The problem is I never get any kind of prompt to 'Claim my server', my friends Plex servers all display, but no where can I claim the local Plex instance.

seanweldon

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
I found this thread, so I re-installed using 'remote plex server' option.

It's looking good so far....

seanweldon

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
Based on my understanding, since my Plex server is on the same physical server as everything else, I should have selected 'Local Plex Server', but for whatever reason it wasn't working. Using 'Remote Plex Server' allowed me to claim the server, and upon going to privateIP:32400/web allowed me to configure the server.

Proelior

Blitz 3rd Class
Based on my understanding, since my Plex server is on the same physical server as everything else, I should have selected 'Local Plex Server', but for whatever reason it wasn't working. Using 'Remote Plex Server' allowed me to claim the server, and upon going to privateIP:32400/web allowed me to configure the server.
If you have a dedicated server / seedbox or cloud instance from a company that you pay for with a different IP to your home network then it's the remote option you choose.
If your installing plex on a computer at your house then choose local as the server is on your home network.
Doesn't matter about any of the other programs you install they can be on a local or remote server.

mrniceguy

Blitz 3rd Class
Hello Pgblitz team and developers, at first thank you very much for your work, I really love your project and appreciate the effort you put in it.

Now I've setup my local pgblitz server on an old pc and am facing the same issue as the qotet user above. When I decided to install plex with the local network I wasn't able to claim the server. The same trick (using the remote server option and doing the manual claim process) also worked in my case.
I am nearly happy now with my setup. There's only one little thing missing. The DLNA capability doesn't work anymore (in comparisson to my previous setup with plexguide about 1 year ago). I'm not quit sure if the plex remote server trick is the reason for that, but according to the mentioned reason (dlna worked before in my setup) I came to this conclusion. Of course I ticked the enable dlna server checkbox in the plex server preferencies.

It's not extremely important to have the dlna but there are some use cases that require it (for example the plex app in my oculus go vr headset is really buggy and laggy and before I used a built in dlna player app that used to be more handy and smoothly compared to the native plex app). Besides of that all playback was direct play with this app called skybox player).

I know that your time is a limited good, but if you could possibly not forget about that thing would really help me very much.
Thank you all and have a nice day.

Greetings from Austria
mrniceguy

ZennyBenny

Blitz 3rd Class
For anyone else who has this issue you can also fix by creating an SSH tunnel to the target machine.

Scroll down to the section "On a different network"

mrniceguy

Blitz 3rd Class
Thanks for your answer. Just to make sure, that I got you right: I have to deploy the local plex edition, and then I need the ssh tunnel from my windows browser to the pgblitz machine, that it can find its way to be claimed by plex? Anything else works then the way it should with the plex local network edition?
thanks

ZennyBenny

Blitz 3rd Class
Thanks for your answer. Just to make sure, that I got you right: I have to deploy the local plex edition, and then I need the ssh tunnel from my windows browser to the pgblitz machine, that it can find its way to be claimed by plex? Anything else works then the way it should with the plex local network edition?
thanks
I've only tested it with an install of plex on the host system, but if docker is doing something weird with the traffic I guess it might not work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.