What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Speed Issues on Hetzner Dedi in Finland

kkalfun

Blitz 2nd Class
I signed up for a Dual Xeon E5, 480GB SSD, 32GB server for $59 a month. Sucks that it won't support hardware transcoding but I am very interested to see the difference in reliability. I am going to give this server a try for a couple of weeks. I can report back here for any who are interested in finding a North American host.

FYI, my speeds to Hetzner are very good this evening with 175Mbps down.
I know it hasn't even been a week yet (lol), but how is it so far? How many remote streams do you normally do? Just thinking if I want to get the i7 6700k for HW transcoding or not.

UncleBuck

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
I know it hasn't even been a week yet (lol), but how is it so far? How many remote streams do you normally do? Just thinking if I want to get the i7 6700k for HW transcoding or not.
I have not fully migrated to the WholeSaleInternet. I installed and configured PG. Speedtests are great but speeds to the tdrive are horrible. Speedtest shows 800Mbps upload but when uploading a file to the tdrive I get around 2Mbps. Usnet download speeds are also less then desired at around 30Mbps. I have tried reinstalling PG and tried a different OS. No matter what I do I get the same results.

sixshooterz

Blitz 2nd Class
Speedtests are great but speeds to the tdrive are horrible. Speedtest shows 800Mbps upload but when uploading a file to the tdrive I get around 2Mbps. Usnet download speeds are also less then desired at around 30Mbps. I have tried reinstalling PG and tried a different OS. No matter what I do I get the same results.
I was with wholesaleinternet years ago. I had to run my Usenet and torrents thru VPN as I did get a warning once for my Usenet usage. I’ve been looking into getting a Hetzner machine in Finland but these speed issues worry me a bit, even if they are intermittent.

Be careful what you do on wholesaleinternet as they will shut ya down. Route thru a VPN and save yourself any headaches.

kkalfun

Blitz 2nd Class
I was with wholesaleinternet years ago. I had to run my Usenet and torrents thru VPN as I did get a warning once for my Usenet usage. I’ve been looking into getting a Hetzner machine in Finland but these speed issues worry me a bit, even if they are intermittent.

Be careful what you do on wholesaleinternet as they will shut ya down. Route thru a VPN and save yourself any headaches.
I was thinking of just running plex on wholesaleinternet, and hetzner as the feeder. Even if the speeds were inconsistent - I wouldn't be too concerned.

UncleBuck

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
I never had problems with wholesale. I ran a dedicated so I'm unsure why unless a vps was used.
I am running a dedicated with Dual Xeon processor and 480GB SSD. No matter how I set things up I have a few issues.

As noted my downloads speeds vis sabnzbd are less than expected but not horrible.

When I run the Blitz command here are my results. On hetzner I would normally see around 30M/s upload and you can see here I am getting 3.5M/s. Also there is an error reading the log files. I have been running a stable Hetzner Dedi for months now so I thought maybe I am doing something wrong since I had not installed from scratch in a long time. I went and got me a Hetzner VPS for testing. Set that up the exact same way and no issues what so ever. I then had WSI reload my OS. Did the install again and same exact issues. So something is up with WSI.

mobo

Blitz 3rd Class
Donor
Donor
It seems I fixed my network issue on the hetzner server. I am not sure if all of them or only one fixed it or if it is fixed permanently. I have 2 nights without issues now. Had issues every night for 2 weeks before.

Thats what i did:

* Perform speed test from Hetzner support (they didn't find issues)
* Moved BGBlitz from Ubuntu to Debian
* Moved BGBlitz from v8.5.6 to v8.6.5
* Routing all traffic over cloudflare network

eclipseserena

Blitz 2nd Class
It seems I fixed my network issue on the hetzner server. I am not sure if all of them or only one fixed it or if it is fixed permanently. I have 2 nights without issues now. Had issues every night for 2 weeks before.

Thats what i did:

* Perform speed test from Hetzner support (they didn't find issues)
* Moved BGBlitz from Ubuntu to Debian
* Moved BGBlitz from v8.5.6 to v8.6.5
* Routing all traffic over cloudflare network
Probably that 4th one fixed it

Alex55

Blitz 3rd Class
I have the same terrible speed and i change it with a German data center and now everything its perfect.

UncleBuck

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Probably that 4th one fixed it
I think most of us having the issue were already using cloudflare. I know I was. The only thing @mobo did that would be different from my setup is switching to Debian. A while back I remember someone saying that the Hetzner Ubuntu image had some issues.

Either way I have not had any issues for the last two days myself and nothing changed on my end. So whatever the issue was I think it may have been fixed.

H1f0x

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
The issue is not fixed apparently :( I still got issues last night.. terrible ones too.

sudomonkey

Blitz 3rd Class
Donor
Donor
It's been ongoing for me as well, pretty frustrating when for once it wasn't because I decided to "tweak" something. I'm testing out a incero now to see how that works out. I'm at the same $40 price point but on a weaker system in comparison but with a much closer data center. What I learned was man it's easy to restore my data, plex had virtually no down time.

UncleBuck

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
I switched to a server in Hetzner's Germany data center. Been testing for two days and so far my speed tests are faster than they ever were on the Finland data center.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Development Donations

Top NZB NewsGroups!

Members - Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending