What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Should I run a VM on an SSD or M2?

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Without you providing a specific IO usage case, the benefits are likely to un-noticable in the real world. In that sort of case, i'd go with whatever made the best sense, if the M2/NVMe is only slightly more expensive, then get it. If it's got a significant premium and SSD is quick enough, then stick with SATA.

cloud07

Patron
i use a 5400 rpm harddrive. i do not have that much stuff downloading so i would say it's more of what you use

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
i use a 5400 rpm harddrive. i do not have that much stuff downloading so i would say it's more of what you use
Downloading via newsgroups at near gigabit and doing RAR/PAR work can make a mechanical single disk system grind. Once you get backed up, it gets messy quickly.

DarkSteel

Respected Member
Staff
Downloading via newsgroups at near gigabit and doing RAR/PAR work can make a mechanical single disk system grind. Once you get backed up, it gets messy quickly.
It’s funny u say that. When my hard drive tapped out before, Plex would stutter and speeds would slow to 20 while the unpacking and repairing took forever

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
RAR/PAR work (especially PAR) will hurt a single mechanical disk system. Normal practice was to split the work over multiple drives where possible and try and configure your client to play nice.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Has anyone tried using a raid with a large Plex library before?
No reason why you can't, but i'd argue that putting Plex in a docker and that docker running from SSD is a much more efficient way of doing it. Media is all but static once processed, the main benefits of RAID being higher IOP's and potential redundancy seem somewhat moot when you have unlimited cloud storage available (unless you have connection issues).

SilverSix311

Staff
@DarkSteel I have a 28TB ZFS Raid pool running mine. Run's great! I still see some I/O Queues peak pretty high, but I also have a TON of s*hit running off my server. Plex running over iSCSI Target on 10GbE SFP, as well as my other host using that same storage pool via NFS for "old plex server" media. I personally plan on moving my SSD raid over to my Plexguide server host and just run my VM from there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.