What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Shadow - Could this be the furure of computing?

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
i think it's more of an on demand desktop that is suppose to have low latency.
suppose? it HAS low latency. Guys, instead of just tossing mud at it, just try it LOL. Skeptisism is one thing but just going all out without actually trying it is wel,....

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
Guess its good for gaming?It would be nice to have a remote desktop to login to but hard to for me to justify £29 a month.
Well, for those £29/month, you get a system that is actually worth £2k. And, they upgrade hardware when it's needed. It comes with 256 gB SSD but is expandable with another 1 TB. The beauty of it is, you can access it trough any device. I run mine on a raspberry PI. Just try and explain to someone you're playing fortnite with Epic settings on a Pi. you don't need a solid computer at home to make it work since the shadow does all the computing power. So yeah, there's justifying it.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff

pianomanx

REVIEW: The Shadow Server

link: https://shadow.tech/int/applications

Hello people's of the 'Blitz :)

Here's myreview of some hours I spent on the server I spun up today.

I completely agree on with you, gadgethome about the price of what is essentially a highly tuned vm accessible via a rdp wrapper (and pretty good coding on the apps I might add. The UI is nice on the client side)

Personally, having x3 GCP instances feeding drives of .nzb's with 2 TB nvme RAID0, and dual-gigabit that cost almost nothing a month (except wondering why I never thought of setups like this before...thanks to our insanely talented community here) is more my style.

However...here's where I see the benefit of the 'Shadow' server, and of course Google's new platform that is now officially announced:

You get a Windows 10 box (it came with Home, and changed that once installed), 12 gigs RAM (little low, but better than most)...256 Gb storage...and one hell of a surprise with the Quadro P5000 as pass through. The site says a 1080 Ti, but they recently upgraded their hardware.

Now first month of sub is $20 with a promo code, and $34.95 after (no contract).

IF I was someone that had terrible internet, a subpar machine to play games, and had some security best practice to make sure the box didn't have sketchy services calling home ...this is where it's absolutely worth every penny.

I've been doing benchmarks on it today, and it's quite insane what results I'm seeing. I'll be posting screenshots here if ya'll are curious.

Here's first one I did for bandwith test, since 'Shadow' is quite clear you're getting straight up 1 Gb. (Since the server is in France, the time on the vm is like 1:50am):

Under heaviest load, it'll get to about 500Mbps. So no issue there whatsoever.

Now..the graphics benchmark. I've already been playing 'Firewatch' at literally ultra settings...and when got up, and went outside and logged in with the Android app...it was flawless. The app Sitennected my desktop client, froze the vm (so there's obviously well tuned snapshots going on in the back end), and I started where I left off on my Pixel 2 XL.. I switched to my old Nexus 10 tablet that can play Hearthstone ok...and it was like butter. Started right where I left off.

So..stay tuned..I'll put up some screenshot results and bring this thing to it's knees properly with a battery of tests.

All of this for $34.95?

Yeah, seems that way.

I can see and appreciate the allure for a lot of people on this.. Of course, I have to have my machines, and pimp them out on upgrades and have that kind of connection. But not everyone is as fortunate as some of us, and I always love when bright minds mold tech ideas into an actionable and cost-efficient unique spin, and same time giving people a greater quality of life.

You know what this kind of tech reminds me of?

It's exactly what [B]Admin9705[/B] has done for us with this 'PG' project.

Years ago when Plex implemented 'Amazon Drive' and GDrive into a connector for Plex...I remember sitting outside and thinking:

You know...if I upload my entire collection (I think I had a mere 3 TB back then) into my unlimited GDrive, I wonder if I would see a latency issue??..hmmm...

I ended up uploading around 10 movies into the Plex Cloud, and I think I saw those movies all but 4 times since they had more issues with it almost never staying up long.

Then, what do you know....I was on r/datahoarder, and someone mentioned a theory, which I ended up here after I tried a few other alternatives that didn't have the power of continuous integration and updates behind it like this does.

The realization that we had everything at our disposal to create an absolute effing monster of unlimited storage for our Plex machines that transcode (if needed) and can handle a lot of users, and tie in with great security for the front end...and costs us almost nothing but time and patience for new results with the updates that flowed like wine over the months. Oh..and I got to get utilize and consolidate my servers, thus my datacenter (bedroom) no longer is at 100 degrees in the winter.
I've never been involved with anything on a daily basis with so much passion for a project (on my off time), and just the sheer growth (I started on version 5) of upgrades and help I've encountered is inspiring.

Damn dude. You (and the volunteers) don't get enough credit for all that has made 'PG' awesome. I know the sheer amount of hours spent in a rabbit hole with every little thing that had to work on the pipeline..it does not go unnoticed.

Totally got off track there, but I wanted obviously give my quick review of the 'Shadow' and why it'll have a niche for a lot of people. Most of us here are just fine with ssh and a ton of i/o, but I love this thing so far.

Stay tuned for more screenshots!

- pianomanx

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
REVIEW: The Shadow Server

link: https://shadow.tech/int/applications

Hello people's of the 'Blitz :)

Here's myreview of some hours I spent on the server I spun up today.

I completely agree on with you, gadgethome about the price of what is essentially a highly tuned vm accessible via a rdp wrapper (and pretty good coding on the apps I might add. The UI is nice on the client side)

Personally, having x3 GCP instances feeding drives of .nzb's with 2 TB nvme RAID0, and dual-gigabit that cost almost nothing a month (except wondering why I never thought of setups like this before...thanks to our insanely talented community here) is more my style.

However...here's where I see the benefit of the 'Shadow' server, and of course Google's new platform that is now officially announced:

You get a Windows 10 box (it came with Home, and changed that once installed), 12 gigs RAM (little low, but better than most)...256 Gb storage...and one hell of a surprise with the Quadro P5000 as pass through. The site says a 1080 Ti, but they recently upgraded their hardware.

Now first month of sub is $20 with a promo code, and $34.95 after (no contract).

IF I was someone that had terrible internet, a subpar machine to play games, and had some security best practice to make sure the box didn't have sketchy services calling home ...this is where it's absolutely worth every penny.

I've been doing benchmarks on it today, and it's quite insane what results I'm seeing. I'll be posting screenshots here if ya'll are curious.

Here's first one I did for bandwith test, since 'Shadow' is quite clear you're getting straight up 1 Gb. (Since the server is in France, the time on the vm is like 1:50am):

View attachment 3354

Under heaviest load, it'll get to about 500Mbps. So no issue there whatsoever.

Now..the graphics benchmark. I've already been playing 'Firewatch' at literally ultra settings...and when got up, and went outside and logged in with the Android app...it was flawless. The app Sitennected my desktop client, froze the vm (so there's obviously well tuned snapshots going on in the back end), and I started where I left off on my Pixel 2 XL.. I switched to my old Nexus 10 tablet that can play Hearthstone ok...and it was like butter. Started right where I left off.

So..stay tuned..I'll put up some screenshot results and bring this thing to it's knees properly with a battery of tests.

All of this for $34.95?

Yeah, seems that way.

I can see and appreciate the allure for a lot of people on this.. Of course, I have to have my machines, and pimp them out on upgrades and have that kind of connection. But not everyone is as fortunate as some of us, and I always love when bright minds mold tech ideas into an actionable and cost-efficient unique spin, and same time giving people a greater quality of life.

You know what this kind of tech reminds me of?

It's exactly what [B]Admin9705[/B] has done for us with this 'PG' project.

Years ago when Plex implemented 'Amazon Drive' and GDrive into a connector for Plex...I remember sitting outside and thinking:

You know...if I upload my entire collection (I think I had a mere 3 TB back then) into my unlimited GDrive, I wonder if I would see a latency issue??..hmmm...

I ended up uploading around 10 movies into the Plex Cloud, and I think I saw those movies all but 4 times since they had more issues with it almost never staying up long.

Then, what do you know....I was on r/datahoarder, and someone mentioned a theory, which I ended up here after I tried a few other alternatives that didn't have the power of continuous integration and updates behind it like this does.

The realization that we had everything at our disposal to create an absolute effing monster of unlimited storage for our Plex machines that transcode (if needed) and can handle a lot of users, and tie in with great security for the front end...and costs us almost nothing but time and patience for new results with the updates that flowed like wine over the months. Oh..and I got to get utilize and consolidate my servers, thus my datacenter (bedroom) no longer is at 100 degrees in the winter.
I've never been involved with anything on a daily basis with so much passion for a project (on my off time), and just the sheer growth (I started on version 5) of upgrades and help I've encountered is inspiring.

Damn dude. You (and the volunteers) don't get enough credit for all that has made 'PG' awesome. I know the sheer amount of hours spent in a rabbit hole with every little thing that had to work on the pipeline..it does not go unnoticed.

Totally got off track there, but I wanted obviously give my quick review of the 'Shadow' and why it'll have a niche for a lot of people. Most of us here are just fine with ssh and a ton of i/o, but I love this thing so far.

Stay tuned for more screenshots!

- pianomanx
Haha thank plex for messing up plex cloud. I was so enraged including using stablebit, netdrive, expandrive and bad websites with a hole directions. Na, it is the community. Around pg5, I wanted to scrap the whole thing but everyone kept pitching in. I rest more now with it being fairly stable with the modularity and random fixes people send. Thanks for just being a member ;) note we don't use CI. It's bad in a way because people focus on too much execution. With all the commits, I direct test the execution. Hopefully with win10 announcing full lineu support, pg will integrate.

Last edited:

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Onlive was a great idea, but ultimately Sony got the tech and did very little with it. Value wise, this is interesting, but not game changing, also seems unavailable in many locations :(

SteveCliff

Hmm - tech specs are "not available", hosting is not in the UK ... and most worryingly, I've never known Microsoft to agree to a licensing deal like this for small companies around "client" OS as opposed to "server" OS (servers are fairly easily licensed under data centre agreements - client OS is usually explicitly banned).

Thanks for posting - and yeah it's an interesting way of doing it - but suspect it's not quite ready for prime time yet? Will also be keeping an eye on it :)

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
It's actually quite ready for prime time. It is funny cause they should be active in the UK. Last I hard they were.

PlexFan

Staff
Hmm - tech specs are "not available", hosting is not in the UK ... and most worryingly, I've never known Microsoft to agree to a licensing deal like this for small companies around "client" OS as opposed to "server" OS (servers are fairly easily licensed under data centre agreements - client OS is usually explicitly banned).

Thanks for posting - and yeah it's an interesting way of doing it - but suspect it's not quite ready for prime time yet? Will also be keeping an eye on it :)
Anything with cloud written all over it doesn't seem ready to me. Google is trying their luck with gaming. I wonder if they solved latency issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Development Donations

Top NZB NewsGroups!

Members - Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors