What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Shadow - Could this be the furure of computing?

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
So I subscribed to this service since yestruday and I must say, I'm really impressed.

But what is shadow you may ask? Well, this video explains it in short.

Shadow is actually a full fledge computer in the cloud. And talking about full fledged, I'm really talking full fledged:

12GB of RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2678 V3
256GB dedicated storage
Dedicated Geforce Quadro P5000
1 Gb/s download
100 mbps upload
Windows 10 64bit

Yes, it is all dedicated and hosted in their datacenters.

But how does it work?
No you don't just access it by teamviewer or remote desktop. That would be silly right? They simply stream the video output to you at very high quality. That is 140+ fps in 1080p and 60 fps in 4K (4K I have yet to test). I know, I hear you thinking, there's gonna be serious latency because your mose, keyboard, gamectonroller etc etc will nee to be registered then video needs to be encoded and sent back to you. Well, wrong. I did a speedtest on the shadow and their ping is 1 ms, adding the 20 ms on my local connection then that's 21 ms. I've been using it since yesturday and I was used to it after 10 minutes already. I was working office documents, browsing facebook and yes, even playing Fortnite and completaly forgot that this machine was remote. It was just like it was underneeth my desk.

So where do you use it on? The good part is, you can use this virtually everywhere. For starters, shadow has their own hardware: the Shadow Ghost (currently sold out). It's a special setup kind of box wich is aspecially developped for their service. I'm using the shadow app on my very low end 7 year old laptop and my phone. There are also apps for Mac OS, iOS, Android and Linux. Any device that runs this system, you can install it on. Basically you have your gameing rig in your pocket and the apps work.

Could this bea replacement for in house systems? Well maybe not yet but it's getting there. For me I decided to use it as my main computer. for €29.99/month you can not buy this kind of system, not even on a yearly basis. I have the prev of living near Brussels (about 60-70 KM) where their datacenter is located and get the realtime experience almost maxed out so for me this is a gamechanger. Also, I never have to worry about faulty hardware or hardware ugrades ever again. Upgrades come with the subscription. There's a better videocard being relesed or faster CPU needed? They'll upgrade. I'd say that's a serious money saver right there. For people who can not afford €2k+ rigs this is the perfect outcome.

No, this is not a sponsored post and I'm writing this out of my own free will but for those that do want to try it out, head over to https://shadow.tech/int/ and if you do feel like giving them a try, enter this code upon registration:

ANDUL9NA

Have fun. I know I am.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
Odd. I thought UK was in the countrylist.

Zippy

Staff
I scored into the Nvidia Now beta a year or two ago and it was surreal watching a game being streamed to my computer from really good processing components in a server rack. There's a rumored Xbox that will be streaming only coming out in the near future as well.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
So I subscribed to this service since yestruday and I must say, I'm really impressed.

But what is shadow you may ask? Well, this video explains it in short.

Shadow is actually a full fledge computer in the cloud. And talking about full fledged, I'm really talking full fledged:

12GB of RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2678 V3
256GB dedicated storage
Dedicated Geforce Quadro P5000
1 Gb/s download
100 mbps upload
Windows 10 64bit

Yes, it is all dedicated and hosted in their datacenters.

But how does it work?
No you don't just access it by teamviewer or remote desktop. That would be silly right? They simply stream the video output to you at very high quality. That is 140+ fps in 1080p and 60 fps in 4K (4K I have yet to test). I know, I hear you thinking, there's gonna be serious latency because your mose, keyboard, gamectonroller etc etc will nee to be registered then video needs to be encoded and sent back to you. Well, wrong. I did a speedtest on the shadow and their ping is 1 ms, adding the 20 ms on my local connection then that's 21 ms. I've been using it since yesturday and I was used to it after 10 minutes already. I was working office documents, browsing facebook and yes, even playing Fortnite and completaly forgot that this machine was remote. It was just like it was underneeth my desk.

So where do you use it on? The good part is, you can use this virtually everywhere. For starters, shadow has their own hardware: the Shadow Ghost (currently sold out). It's a special setup kind of box wich is aspecially developped for their service. I'm using the shadow app on my very low end 7 year old laptop and my phone. There are also apps for Mac OS, iOS, Android and Linux. Any device that runs this system, you can install it on. Basically you have your gameing rig in your pocket and the apps work.

Could this bea replacement for in house systems? Well maybe not yet but it's getting there. For me I decided to use it as my main computer. for €29.99/month you can not buy this kind of system, not even on a yearly basis. I have the prev of living near Brussels (about 60-70 KM) where their datacenter is located and get the realtime experience almost maxed out so for me this is a gamechanger. Also, I never have to worry about faulty hardware or hardware ugrades ever again. Upgrades come with the subscription. There's a better videocard being relesed or faster CPU needed? They'll upgrade. I'd say that's a serious money saver right there. For people who can not afford €2k+ rigs this is the perfect outcome.

No, this is not a sponsored post and I'm writing this out of my own free will but for those that do want to try it out, head over to https://shadow.tech/int/ and if you do feel like giving them a try, enter this code upon registration:

ANDUL9NA

Have fun. I know I am.
I scored into the Nvidia Now beta a year or two ago and it was surreal watching a game being streamed to my computer from really good processing components in a server rack. There's a rumored Xbox that will be streaming only coming out in the near future as well.
google is going this route also

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
google is going this route also
Yeah so I heard. But this is absolutaly amazing. I don't know how they solved the latency problem but they did. And the huge + is that it's a basic windows10 machine. So you can use it for numerous things besides gaming aswell. Heck I streamed to yourube from it just to test it out using OBS. LOL It's littarly an offsite computer.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
Yeah but this is not NVidia Now. This is littarly a PC you can install stuff on. That's a huge difference with just streaming games. you can attach external storage to your pc and use that. Even webcams work.

zomboassasin

FreeLancer
I tried this service out for about a week or so a while back. I have gigabit internet at my house but even so the latency was a bit too much for me when actually playing a game. I live on the east coast US. Also the whole "windows 10" thing was cool but was still pretty restrictive in the way it was setup. I remember not being allowed to do certain things within the operating system like change firewall settings or remove pre installed software. It felt like what it realistically is, using some companies machine. Now for most people I think something like this would be fine. For me though I just wasn't that into it. I think there is something to this whole remote processing however. Now that google is in the mix, its gonna be hard for smaller startups to compete. Google is just so massive they can realistically cover most of the world and offer a reasonable latency everywhere. It is exciting to see technology like this get developed and I think with more competition and time it can only get better.

Latency is a big issue on these, as they have limited server locations.

Also, back when i used them, setup time took several days (which was fine i guess) and the machine were all unstable.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
No problems with latency hee and their serverlocations have grown over the past years. Setuptime took less then 10 minutes now.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
I tried this service out for about a week or so a while back. I have gigabit internet at my house but even so the latency was a bit too much for me when actually playing a game. I live on the east coast US. Also the whole "windows 10" thing was cool but was still pretty restrictive in the way it was setup. I remember not being allowed to do certain things within the operating system like change firewall settings or remove pre installed software. It felt like what it realistically is, using some companies machine. Now for most people I think something like this would be fine. For me though I just wasn't that into it. I think there is something to this whole remote processing however. Now that google is in the mix, its gonna be hard for smaller startups to compete. Google is just so massive they can realistically cover most of the world and offer a reasonable latency everywhere. It is exciting to see technology like this get developed and I think with more competition and time it can only get better.
how long has it been since you tried it? I know some people not looking into where datacenter locations are and then afterwords complaining about latency being huge.

And true, Curious to see what google will do with this. If a service like this could get more local datacenters to fill, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Now I don't have problems with the OS. I do have full control over it.

zomboassasin

FreeLancer
how long has it been since you tried it? I know some people not looking into where datacenter locations are and then afterwords complaining about latency being huge.

And true, Curious to see what google will do with this. If a service like this could get more local datacenters to fill, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Now I don't have problems with the OS. I do have full control over it.
It was a long time ago. I might give it another shot in the future, but atm I don't really have the need for something like that.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
aah yes, there you go. haha. Services improve over time and they have really braugtened their network.

pianomanx

Here's a code you can use if you want to try it for a month: CHAUBEPW

SO I started Shadow last night (thank you for the offer code btw OP!)

It's fucki*g incredible the paths you can take with this.

I....am....insanely impressed. I'm going to post more of a detailed review and how I'm using it with my desktops, cells and laps in a little bit.

The tech has been around for a bit (I also was fortunate to be in Geforce NOW beta...and I use gpu's for my job as a pentester...so I totally get it)

More to come...

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
yeah tech has been around for quite some time but this is taking it to a whole new level. It makes things like teamviewer crumble and fall.

gadgethome

Donor
Guess its good for gaming?It would be nice to have a remote desktop to login to but hard to for me to justify £29 a month.

captngimpy

Staff
Man I remember when I got on the Onlive service when it first came out and told people that it would become a main stream idea. Everyone told me I was crazy and it would never take off. It's been pretty cool watching how these content delivery services have evolved over time. Anyone remember Sega Channel or that one that N64 did in japan. Same basic ideas just expanding and evolving.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Development Donations

Top NZB NewsGroups!

Members - Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors