What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Server Recommendation for about 40 people

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

raphsabb

Hi guys, Im trying to build something in the cloud and need specs for something that can host for about 40 people.

Thanks!

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Hi guys, Im trying to build something in the cloud and need specs for something that can host for about 40 people.

Thanks!
haha, good luck. nvme, tons of ram, 1gig guaranteed throughput, dual xeons with 20+ cores or gpu processing, and limit the size of the videos you download. if not, it's better to run 2 cheaper servers.

raphsabb

I was afraid of that. Im open to running two but then would I still be using the same content accross both?
Its my family so they help pay but it has to b somewhat painless otherwise Im sticking to my own stuff lol
Im about to tell everyone forget it lol, i even looked at wkcd but it seems they ran out of servers.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
The problem is going to be the bottleneck from google to your server of potentially 40 users at the same time, even if they all direct play that's likely to be a problem, at 2K of CPU per 1080p transcode, that's also 80K of CPU, for example a Threadripper 2 2990WX manages 24.4k of CPU mark, so in theory that's only 12 streams transcoding, you'd be much better off spending the money on a Quadra P4000 or using the modified Nvidia drivers that SlothTechTV published a video about, a low end i52500k managed 20+ transcodes on a 980GTX, with something more modern and more RAM with local storage you should be OK. The thing to consider though is realistically how many concurrent users you'll have, it normally works that 25-33% of users are on at peak times, it's higher for new releases and if you have IPTV etc. but the odds of 100% of users all watching at the same time are quite low.

randyjc

Patron
No idea if this is something you can use, but hetzner is offering this server (it's the one i'm using)
https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex51-ssd-gpu

I have it setup in Proxmox with 3 VM's.
1x Router PFsense
1x VM Ubuntu (Plexguide) Passhthrough iGPU INTEL
1x Windows 10 Pro Passhtrough GTX1080 for gaming.
In primetime i have about 12 users wachting and my VM CPU max is about 80-90 and i'm using HW transcoding (iGPU)

Maybe you can do it with the GTX 1080?

raphsabb

No idea if this is something you can use, but hetzner is offering this server (it's the one i'm using)
https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex51-ssd-gpu

I have it setup in Proxmox with 3 VM's.
1x Router PFsense
1x VM Ubuntu (Plexguide) Passhthrough iGPU INTEL
1x Windows 10 Pro Passhtrough GTX1080 for gaming.
In primetime i have about 12 users wachting and my VM CPU max is about 80-90 and i'm using HW transcoding (iGPU)

Maybe you can do it with the GTX 1080?
I'll check it out for sure! Thanx for the heads up

randyjc

Patron
If you end up with the server, hit me up in Pgblitz,I will give you some hints how to setup the prerequirements for the pass through.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.