Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Hi all,

As promised i created a another openvpn container, this time:
- Docker container for "rTorrent (with ruTorrent) OpenVPN integrated"

As the name may says it already this App offers the following features:
  • Starting and maintaining active OpenVPN connection of your choice (capable of User/Pass/Cert authentication)
  • Starts rTorrent Service + ruTorrent with autodl-irssi
All configuration files can be edited an accessed from outside the docker container on the usual /opt/appdata/rflood-openvpn/ path.

A detailed Guide and instruction can be found at:
The app is already in the repository for testing. You can install it with the normal procedures.

- choose: rutorrent-openvpn
Short Usage:
  • Install the app
  • modify the VPN configuration to your needs
  • wait about 1-2 min till the service is restarted, you can verify by the "my-external-ip.txt" in /opt/appdata/rutorrent-openvpn/
  • access your page and login with rtorrent : rtorrent
  • Enjoy
All config changes and from https://pgblitz.com/threads/rtorrent-floodui-openvpn-integrated.4156/ are built in already:

- Added Sonarr support. Modification at the nginx.conf was needed. You can configure Sonarr like this:
  1. Name: rutorrent-openvpn
  2. Enable: Yes
  3. Host: rutorrent-openvpn
  4. Port: 80
  5. URL Path: /rutorrent/plugins/httprpc/action.php
  6. Username & Password: rtorrent : rtorrent
- Downloads will be copied to /mnt/downloads/rflood-openvpn, the original files will remain at /mnt/incomplete/rflood-openvpn to proceed seeding. (Info: Once the downloads hit /mn/downloads/rflood-openvpn/ they get moved to /mnt/move/rflood-openvpn -> /mnt/unionfs/rflood-openvpn - Sonarr needs to monior this path.)
- force a re-hashing after the files get copied - without it bugged sometimes.
- added `log-append /config/vpn/openvpn.log` to the client.conf for logging of vpn
- Downloads which are tagged for example with "tv" will be copied once their completed to /mnt/downloads/rflood-openvpn/tv
- Downloads which have no tag will be copied on default to /mnt/downloads/rflood-openvpn/unsorted

Feedback is welcome and needed! Thats it for me regarding app-development. I will try to maintain my 4 released apps for now :)

Cheers and Enjoy
H1f0x

H1f0x

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
Staff
Donor
EDIT#1: I copy pasted the features of the rflood thread. Please replace everything you see above mentioned as "rflood-openvpn" with "rutorrent-openvpn".

titooo7

Blitz Sergeant
By the way I think you made some mistakes in the OP as you mention several times rflood-openvpn paths but I don't have any path with that name after installing the container.

I'm also having some issue to get connected via openvpn so I will post later so maybe you can help me to understand what I'm doing wrong :)

• Thinking
Reactions: H1f0x

H1f0x

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
Staff
Donor
ouu.. well rflood is wrong.. haha i have two containers build.. maybe i didnt update the manuals accordingly.. :( my bad.. where do you see this?

EDIT#1: Ahh.. found.. replace all rflood-openvpn with rutorrent-openvpn

nachobel

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Donor
I'm sorry I'm so bad at this -- I'm trying to use the Newshosting Open VPN configuration and I cannot figure it out. I've modified the client.conf file to include the cert between the <ca> markers, added the remote on the appropriate line, and then changed the <key> section to just 'vpn' (no ticks) IAW their directions as best I can understand. I added my username and password to the vpn.auth file...and that's about it. The IP file is my actual IP, not a VPN one. Help!

H1f0x

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Alright, drop me a pm with your newshosting vpn provider. i will figure out how to do it. Is there an openvpn configuration available that your newshoster is providing you?

Reactions: nachobel

titooo7

Blitz Sergeant
The my ip address txt located at /opt/appearance/rutorrent-openvpn/ is showing my server IP instead of one from my vpn so I assume that it's not working right?

My vpn provider is torguard. Should I still use the only the vpn.conf file changing only the remote line and the ones related to my key and ca.crt?

H1f0x

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Nope this is an example of ExpressVPN. My bad actually. I will rebuild a container over night with better instructions. :(

You can modify the hole client.conf to your needs, expect:

auth-user-pass /config/vpn/vpn.auth

up /usr/bin/up.sh
down /usr/bin/down.sh

log-append /config/vpn/openvpn.log

Reactions: titooo7

titooo7

Blitz Sergeant
Thanks! I used the client.conf of torguard adding only those lines you just mentioned and also the line

script-security 2

I also copied the ca.crt file from torguard to the pt/appdata/rutorrent-openvpn/vpn directory just in case

By the way, is there any way to disable the vpn so I can use rutorrent with my server ip? Basically I would like to download some torrents with vpn, but others without. So it would be nice if there is a way to do that :)

H1f0x

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Awesome! :) Hmm.. no currently not. There is no stopping mechanism.. OpenVPN is on Linux a bit.. rusty. What you could do.. would be rename the config file to something else, and then rename it back :/

titooo7

Blitz Sergeant
Thanks. By the way I can't download anything via autodl-irssi.
I'm using torrentllech and I can listen their announces channel but when something I filered is released in the irc I get this (see screenshot attached)

Did you face this problem will creating the container? Any idea of what could be the reason?

// EDIT

PIC removed !!

Last edited by a moderator:

H1f0x

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Oh wow.. hmm.. nope haven't seen that yet. I will check this out and come back at you with an answer!

titooo7

Blitz Sergeant
thanks I really appreciate it. Since you created this thread I have been tryng for several hours every day different settings in the autodl.cfg, googling and so on so I'm really frustrated already, lol.

Just in case. here is the autodl.cfg I use: https://pastebin.com/i3qzPFzk

brutesqd

Blitz 3rd Class
Donor
I'm trying to set this up, think I've got it but my-external-ip is still showing my real IP address.

Hetzner dedi, ubuntu 18.

I replaced the contents of client.conf with the contents of my ***.ovpn file from newshosting and added the mandatory lines from the above comment. Added login details to vpn.auth. Restarted the container but my-external-ip doesnt change.

Any ideas guys?

***EDIT*** Sorry ignore this! Looks like I was being impatient. IP is updated nicely now. Cheers all (y)

titooo7

Blitz Sergeant
Am I the only one who hasn't been able to get autidl-irssi to add torrents to rutorrent? :(

I keep getting this error (my key are removed):

@H1f0x can you download with autodl-irssi? which tracker do you use?

PIC removed
// MrDoob

Last edited by a moderator:

H1f0x

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Hey @titooo7

Alright lets get into this, ys my trackers are working so far, can you provide me with a pm with your config and tracker and i try to rebuild it with it on my end :)

Cheers

T0bias

Blitz 3rd Class
I'm trying to set this up but I can't get it to work.
I'm using a .ovpn profile from VPN-Unlimited, added also these lines

auth-user-pass /config/vpn/vpn.auth

up /usr/bin/up.sh
down /usr/bin/down.sh

log-append /config/vpn/openvpn.log

Even the my-external-ip.txt file won't show any IP.
The web interface starts up but can't connect to rTorrent.
I'm on a VPS from Contabo, do I need to open some ports?

titooo7

Blitz Sergeant
In my case I also had to add the line:
script-security 2

And I uploaded the ca.crt file from my vpn provider to the vpn folder

Reactions: nachobel

T0bias

Blitz 3rd Class
okay saw in the openvpn.log file that connection is established with that line: script-security 2 inside my client.conf file.

But I'm still not able to access the WebUI trough http://myip:5897, do I have to change something in portainer or is it another port when the VPN is connected?

H1f0x

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
Staff
Donor
You can also access it by your rutorrent-openvpn.domain.com :)

T0bias

Blitz 3rd Class
Yes Traefik now deployed and port guard on and get a "404 page not found" error on rutorrent-openvpn.domain.com. It also seems like Traefik skips rutorrent-openvpn during deployment, it just says "Traefik - Rebuilding [rutorrent-openvpn]" and nothing thereafter same for port guard.
Do I have to install it as a root user or is it ok to install rutorrent-openvpn as a su user with sudo command?

H1f0x

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
Staff
Donor
This looks to me not like an issue with the container. But yes the container needs privileged access rights in the container. Several reasons: The VPN bridge in CentOS needs ist as well as the systemd commands. If you do not run pgblitz as root this may cause you troubles.

nachobel

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Donor
the OpenVPN portion of this is working great, but for some reason now ruTorrent won't connect to rTorrent. I've deleted everything and reinstalled from the community image, and it's still not connecting. The log doesn't show anything interesting (a lot of OpenVPN successes, but nothin with rTorrent).

H1f0x

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Can you provide me the log files of docker logs --details rutorrent-openvpn?

GIorgioBrux:_

Blitz Noob
I have the same problem, and running that command returns nothing (it's another problem?, with floodui they showed | Portainer shows "No logs avaible" too). Tried to reinstall 2 times.
/opt/appdata/rutorrent-openvpn/rtorrent/log is also empty if it matters.

H1f0x

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Alright i do several re-deployments tonight to verify if i can get the same results as you guys do :/

Reactions: GIorgioBrux:_

nachobel

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Donor
In portioner when I click on the docker and select logs, there are no logs to display. Is there another place those get written? I couldn't find anything in /var either.

H1f0x

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Alright sorry guys I was very busy the last few days! I will check all open issues and provide you feedback as soon as possible!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Trending