What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Reverse Proxy - Basic Instructions

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
[Back To Main Wiki Homepage]

Reverse Proxy - Basic Instructions
Improving The Wiki: Please post below and I will use your information to make adjustments.

Reverse Proxy?
A reverse proxy allows you to access your apps via a subdomain rather than through port number. For example, instead of typing http://domain.com:8989, you could type http://sonarr.domain.com.

View attachment 83
Example of a Reverse Proxy

Configuring Your Domain with PlexGuide
  1. During the install, it asks for your domain. If you don't have one, type anything.
  2. If you need to change the domain, goto Programs > Troubleshoot > Option #4 (Update Domain and etc...)
  3. That's It!
Configuring Your SubDomains to Your Apps
Configuring Your SubDomains to Your Apps

Q: Is this required?
A:
No, this is purely optional.

Q: Do I need a domain for this to work; the reverse proxy.
A: Yes

Q: Why is not coming up right away?
A: Remember, each container takes time to load up, do a port check. Ombi for example can take upto 3-5 minutes to start showing up.

Q: Nothing comes up, not even a badgate way error!
A: Check the IP address you set; 99 percent of the reasons (typos)

[Back To Main Wiki Homepage]

Last edited:

kalyway

Donor
Note: You can change the subdomain of an application by going to /opt/plexguide/appdata/APPNAME/main.yml. Then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the file until you get to, for example: sonarr.{domain]. Edit it to tv.{domain} or just {domain}.

Hopefully this helps others as it helped me. Thanks Admin9705! :)

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Note: You can change the subdomain of an application by going to /opt/plexguide/appdata/APPNAME/main.yml. Then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the file until you get to, for example: sonarr.{domain]. Edit it to tv.{domain} or just {domain}.

Oh is this reference in editing your own?

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager

Well it's actually /opt/plexguide/ansible/roles/APPNAME/tasks/main.yml but great tip for those that want to do the same as you!:)
Although it'll probably be easier from within Portainer when you click on duplicate/edit container
View attachment 110
and then click on the labels tab, change value then hit Deploy!
View attachment 111
But in both instances you will probably also need to change the traefik.toml as well if you plan to use https later on down the road when we get it working!;)

Edit: Oh and obviously edit what's on your domain providers site too!

boltn

Staff
@Deiteq - thank you for the instructions! I've followed them but can't seem to get it working, anything I might be missing?

* In Portainer, I've modified the container as you've outlined and deployed it
* Modified traefik.toml (/opt/appdata/traefik/traefik.toml)
* Ensured my domain provider is configured for the new subdomain name

When I attempt to access the subdomain, I get NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID. Is there something that needs to be done in Let's Encrypt, too?

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager
@Deiteq - thank you for the instructions! I've followed them but can't seem to get it working, anything I might be missing?

When I attempt to access the subdomain, I get NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID. Is there something that needs to be done in Let's Encrypt, too?
Hmmm...not sure....how long have you waited for it to activate?:unsure:
Sometimes it takes a while for domain names to update....but you could try checking in traefik's portainer log to see if there is a message about it.
View attachment 123
@designgears may have to chip in as I'm not too familiar with traefik!

EDIT: Oh and are you trying https:// by any chance? As it's currently not working!

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager

Google that cert error. At work, but I remember the info helping

Sounds like another video lol

boltn

Staff
Thank you @Deiteq and @Admin9705 !

Based on Googling as @Admin9705 suggested, I ended up just restarting Chrome and it is now working. (y)

Also, for anyone wanting to have multiple subdomains point to the same program as I wanted, you can use either as the traefik.frontend.rule value:

Host:sonarr.domain.com,tv.domain.com
OR
Host:sonarr.domain.com;Host:tv.domain.com

I'm still learning and just wanted to share :geek:

daveftw84

Legendary Member
Donor
do i need to enter http:// when entering the domain into plexguide?
im getting apache 2 default page on some sub domains.
even after purging apache 2

but like i say, if i do domain.net:32400 it works.

Last edited:

daveftw84

Legendary Member
Donor
ill pay someone 100 up front to setup this CDN for me to stream videos from my plex server. only reason why i bought this domain

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Try removing the www and @ A records. The wildcard should include those. Set TTL to as short as possible if you can to troubleshoot faster.
I have no issue with the @ being there.

sickoo0

Yup, just restart traefik, and it'll grab fresh new certs for you. docker restart traefik . Give it a few minutes. You can watch the logs as each domain is verified with docker logs -f traefik .

Make sure you do a hard refresh in your browser with ctrl or shift f5
Thanks it worked ... you rock (y):whistle:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Development Donations

Top NZB NewsGroups!

Members - Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors