What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Recommend US VPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Check the peering ideally by asking someone with one to do some testing with you, Hetzner claim a 10Gbit private pipe to Myloc (who I use), it’s SAF considering they are in the same country with a dedicated link and also share a backbone provider. That said they do have a decent refund policy if you want to give it a shot yourself.

German hosts ask for ID, they also generally take longer to verify and have a more restrictive content policy.

Last edited:

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
I tried 3 transcodes with a 1080p 10GB file and they all worked perfectly :D
Out if curiosity which package did you go for? Reason I ask is vCPU is a term that’s been abused over the years and they don’t provide benchmark details, just tell you what the host hardware is, which always makes me a little nervous.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Prices look attractive. Would be helpful if Plex wasn’t the factor holding back. Traffic decent too
1 euro per TB over the allowance is decent, the only question I really have is about temp space required. A REMUX can easily be 50GB, if you download and then unpack 50GB via news, you need enough space to unpack it and that puts you into a price bracket that's more suited to a dedicated box. For torrent work it's easier, this could be a great cheap download/streaming box for not a lot of money.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
1 euro per TB over the allowance is decent, the only question I really have is about temp space required. A REMUX can easily be 50GB, if you download and then unpack 50GB via news, you need enough space to unpack it and that puts you into a price bracket that's more suited to a dedicated box. For torrent work it's easier, this could be a great cheap download/streaming box for not a lot of money.
haha, part of the reason why i have a dedicated box. it's some money, but the upside is i don't have power issues, my vm's shutting down, and all sorts of issues that keep me busy as a LOCAL admin :D

barryclamsworth

Legendary Member
Donor
Just thought I'd add that I installed on a Hetzner Cloud server. It's all new to me so being the only recommendation I could find so far and the cheapest I went with that.

Prices seem to have gone up since I signed up but I went with the 4GB / 40GB package first. It took me a day or two to get it installed and set up, I have no experience with this sort of thing and it took me a while to understand . I do know my way around all the programs though and run a server at home. I might come back and start a thread about my stumbling blocks. Anyway, once working I added a series (Altered Carbon) & a movie or two to test. All went fine with the series but as mentioned in the thread earlier a 20GB movie needs 40GB to unpack. So movies failed on me, it took me a while to find out why.

Have now jumped to the 8GB/80GB pack and will see how I go. Upgrade was simple, shutdown server, select upgrade and it expands in a few minutes, nothing lost, just bigger. Movie has now unpacked and uploaded to gdrive, everything seems very fast compared to my connection at home, uploading a 20GB movie to google drive would take at least a week.

I have no idea how much space the library will require, or how temporary the downloads are so I will see how I go.

kalyway

Donor
Just thought I'd add that I installed on a Hetzner Cloud server. It's all new to me so being the only recommendation I could find so far and the cheapest I went with that.

Prices seem to have gone up since I signed up but I went with the 4GB / 40GB package first. It took me a day or two to get it installed and set up, I have no experience with this sort of thing and it took me a while to understand . I do know my way around all the programs though and run a server at home. I might come back and start a thread about my stumbling blocks. Anyway, once working I added a series (Altered Carbon) & a movie or two to test. All went fine with the series but as mentioned in the thread earlier a 20GB movie needs 40GB to unpack. So movies failed on me, it took me a while to find out why.

Have now jumped to the 8GB/80GB pack and will see how I go. Upgrade was simple, shutdown server, select upgrade and it expands in a few minutes, nothing lost, just bigger. Movie has now unpacked and uploaded to gdrive, everything seems very fast compared to my connection at home, uploading a 20GB movie to google drive would take at least a week.

I have no idea how much space the library will require, or how temporary the downloads are so I will see how I go.
I like your "mini review" on this. I had Hetzner for a little bit but decided to search for other providers simply due to the size of the disk (40-80GB) and of course transcoding from Plex is a no code apparently - according to others. The reason it is a bad idea is because it really eats up CPU resources for other users when you're using vCores. Lastly, I think Hetzner is no pro torrenting.

barryclamsworth

Legendary Member
Donor
I tried torrenting via the vpn offering in the script and found it to be ridiculously slow but nzbs seem to be around 25mb with the settings I have.

I was going to just shift to the cheapest wholesaleinternet server as mentioned in the diskspace Wiki but upgraded the storage to try first. I don't really have the time to go through the whole setup again for a week or two anyway.

I haven't tried to watch anything yet so no idea about transcoding, I prefer emby for this reason but I can't get emby to see anything in the plex4 directory. Both Plex and Emby appear to be mapped to /mnt/plexdrive4 in the containers settings however in Plex I can set the TV library to /yourcomputer/mnt/plexdrive4/tv but emby will throw the error "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again" and can only be mapped to /plexdrive4/tv.

I also tried to install the MP4 converter in NZBGet to avoid transcoding but it hasn't appeared in the menu so something is amiss there. I think it's likely I will shift to something else but will need to investigate a little further, if it weren't for the limited space the cheap option would be great for just filling a g-drive I could access from home.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager

barryclamsworth

Legendary Member
Donor
@pentaganos - just public, it was only for a test but I was getting just over zero.

I should mention that I had to install vpn and the rtoorent vpn / deluge vpn client about five times before I got it to work and once it did nzbget disappeared on me so I gave up quite quickly. I've been using premiumize for when I need to torrent at home via blackhole and the https://github.com/piejanssens/premiumizer docker image but mostly I just use newsgroups these days.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
@pentaganos - just public, it was only for a test but I was getting just over zero.

I should mention that I had to install vpn and the rtoorent vpn / deluge vpn client about five times before I got it to work and once it did nzbget disappeared on me so I gave up quite quickly. I've been using premiumize for when I need to torrent at home via blackhole and the https://github.com/piejanssens/premiumizer docker image but mostly I just use newsgroups these days.
For VPN torrent/News check out the BinHex containers, I use them with Privoxy enable locally and different VPN end points/providers, easy way to switch location and offer VPN to any device that will use a proxy without the system overhead of running on device encryption. If using something other than PIA remember to use IP’s rather than host names.

Status
Not open for further replies.