Recommend a VPS please!

chrisl106

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
Hi guys,

I'm in Ireland, I've been using Ultraseedbox for torrents and plex, that was until I found out about this.

I was wondering if you could recommend a VPS for me to switch to as my practice vps wouldn't be good enough.

I currently have about 5/6 friends on my plex, somedays they could all be on at the same time.

My files are all 720p/1080p x264 and x265 (TV shows 200-800mb in size and movies 900mb-3gb in size) my budget is around €20/month (USB costs €15.90).

It would be nice to stay with Ultraseedbox but I'm not sure how they would feel about me installing this!

Thanks for everything you do

Reactions: pcs333

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Hi guys,

I'm in Ireland, I've been using Ultraseedbox for torrents and plex, that was until I found out about this.

I was wondering if you could recommend a VPS for me to switch to as my practice vps wouldn't be good enough.

I currently have about 5/6 friends on my plex, somedays they could all be on at the same time.

My files are all 720p/1080p x264 and x265 (TV shows 200-800mb in size and movies 900mb-3gb in size) my budget is around €20/month (USB costs €15.90).

It would be nice to stay with Ultraseedbox but I'm not sure how they would feel about me installing this!

Thanks for everything you do
I don’t use any VPS. Just dedicated. The problem is having enough diskspace for backups and a plexmeta library. @Datamonkeh is EU based and is well versed.

Reactions: chrisl106

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Sorry for the delay in replying.

For the budget i'd suggest switching to news where possible and making use of a Hetzner Cloud instance, it's cheap (under 3 euro a month) and with the rest of the budget you can switch over to news and enjoy much, much faster downloads without the need to seed. Generally you find with a small user count that the odds are not everyone will be streaming at the same time, even if they are then as long as they direct play you can go cheap on the spec of the cloud instance, if people need to transcode, then you may need to spend a few euro more for additional CPU.

It's hard to get a better deal with SSD/10Gb for that amount of money.

Reactions: pianomanx

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
I'd not recommend online.net or oneprovider to anyone, on paper they look good, in reality if you look at LET or any other hosting based forum, they have a well deserved history for being frankly awful, tech support genuinely dgaf.

chrisl106

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
Thank you very much for the replies, I will look into hetzner cloud and news. I used to do NG years ago, I cant really remember now how to but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it again

@Datamonkeh do you think the 2 vCPU, 4gb RAM, 40GB Disk space and 20TB Traffic would be suitable or will I go higher?

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
@Datamonkeh do you think the 2 vCPU, 4gb RAM, 40GB Disk space and 20TB Traffic would be suitable or will I go higher?
The beauty of Hetzner Cloud is you can upgrade it on the fly, for a single user (or even a few users who don't transcode), 2vCPU and 4GB is fine, storage wise you *might* want a little more, but see how you get on.

chrisl106

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
That's excellent that it can be upgraded as needed, thanks for the information! I also just signed up for an indexer and i believe I saw providers recommended somewhere here earlier, so I'm going to go look for that now.

Thanks for all of the help!

Reactions: Datamonkeh

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager
Thank you very much for the replies, I will look into hetzner cloud and news. I used to do NG years ago, I cant really remember now how to but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it again

Also, remember that 40GB disk space won't be enough if you plan to use it for usenet, should be fine for Plex use with a small library, but metadata will eat into it eventually as you library grows!;)

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Also, remember that 40GB disk space won't be enough if you plan to use it for usenet, should be fine for Plex use with a small library, but metadata will eat into it eventually as you library grows!;)
40GB is a lot of meta data, unless you have thumbnails active (why?), then you’re fine for a while. News or torrents it depends on how big your downloads are and processing themselves (news). The beauty of Hetzner Cloud is you can scale it up as required.

Reactions: pcs333

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager
40GB is a lot of meta data, unless you have thumbnails active (why?), then you’re fine for a while. News or torrents it depends on how big your downloads are and processing themselves (news). The beauty of Hetzner Cloud is you can scale it up as required.
Very true, but I'm just speaking from experience....I had 60GB SSD with Netcup and found it struggling with usenet downloading & unpacking especially after my libraries grew....as my metadata included subtitles files!

WildWayz

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Donor
Over the last few weeks I have tried dedicated servers with

Hetzner (Literally about 10+!)
Online.net
Seedhost.eu

VPS with
Ultraseedbox
Bytesized Hosting
Feral Hosting

Currently using Hetzner 24TB server (69 Euros a month) and a Seedhost.eu 12TB server (but had a rough start with them, so likely to ditch them).

Hetzner server auctions are hit and miss with performance. Some servers perform great, others 'meh'. They DO have a great install system so you can re-install easily.

Online.net has good spec servers but 500Mbit speed for 79 Euros a month is a bit low... and to make it 1Gbit, it is 79 Euros more!

For VPSs - Bytesized are great - but no root access. Feral were good too, but sometimes their boxes are stretched (but they will move you if you ask).

None of the options I tried allowed 4K Direct Stream in Plex without it buffering every 20-30 seconds. I'm on a 385Mbit line at home too. I've tried setting up CDNs too.
However, normal 1080p, even high bitrate ones are flawless.

quadiator

Blitz 3rd Class
Whats Feral Hosting like?

20Gbits network speed sounds too real to be good. They dont specify any ram/cpu in their packages. It sounds like they will install from their limited set of pre-approved applications.

MrDoob

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
I use hetzner now .

And I can play 4 x 4K direct streams .
They same on my oneprovider server .

EX42 - 64GB RAM
1 x 120Gb Os SSD
2 X 4TB cache/ Download

E5- 1231 V2 32GB RAM
4 x 1TB RAID 1

8 - 10 x 1080p direct play no problem
2 x 4k plus 6 x 1080p direct play no problem

I can confirm DL and Upload at Hetzner full GB down and full GB upload at the same time.

Online.net is GB full duplex and I can say they give more then 500mbits

Edit Picture added Down /
Upload Hetzner !
At the same time !

Last edited:

Rasha

Blitz 3rd Class
Donor
@quadiator if you also need cheap dedibox, keep an eye on online.net, they’ll be having some promotions here and then.

I have one server from them:
C2750 (Avoton)
16GB DDR3 ECC ram
1x 250GB SSD + 1x 1Tb
1Gbit unlimited

3 direct play (1 in 1080 and 2 in 4K after little server optimization which is rocking hard rn) for $3.90 monthly

Last edited:
Reactions: quadiator

Rasha

Blitz 3rd Class
Donor
Yeah it was during both winter sales and New Years sales which was nice. Just the heads up, there’ll another for spring just like last year, so make sure to check it out.

pro_engineer

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
Donor
Patron
Hey man, I’m on hetzner aNd it’s great so far. I haven’t been able to setup torrents on my server properly through a vpn so as a stop gap I used sshfs to mount my ultraseedbox directly into mnt/move.. not an ideal solution but it works really well. I’ve had 2 streams at a time going in my 2vcpu with only 50% usage so I’m dead happy with hetzner

pYTTH

Blitz Legioner
Staff
Online sucks in support. If you have any issues youre fckd so i'd not recommend them

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.