What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Chat Raspberry Pi as Read Only Secondary Plex Server

axlrod

I have plexguide working well on a remote virtual server and am using gsuite for storage, with encryption, all served by Plex. However I have a few plex client locations that I feel would be better served with the tdrive/tcrypt mounted locally on a tiny local plex server. As I have very little experience with accessing the google drive/team drive, rclone, etc as plexguide made all that super easy, I am not sure how to start with setting this up. As I have all my media pre-processed so I don't have to do any in flight conversion on the client end, I plan on using a Raspberry Pi. I am curious if anyone else has done this and can they share hints/steps/scripts.
  • OS/Docker/Networking/etc is easy for me on a RPi
  • Raspbian or is another OS on the RPi better?
  • Set Up access to the gdrive/tdrive., but preferably read only. I don't want unintentional deletions etc.
  • Set up the gcrypt/tcrypt access so the real files can be read.
  • Generate the hard links like pgblitz so the local plex library generating is "local" and fast. This process does not have to be frequent. Maybe once a day with the ability to do so as needed to force an addition for scanning in Plex.
I am not 100% wedded to a RPi, I just happen to have 4 of them and would rather not spend 3-5 times as much on a small PC if I can avoid it.

I also know I could do something like Rasplex and that might be the way to go, but I like the idea that I don't have to go through the main plex server using up bandwidth and running 3-4 streams at the same time. It would also mean that if the connection to the Plex server was lost or slow for some reason, as long as the mini-server could get to g/tdrive all should still work.

Kiminoth

I did something similar.

I purchased a NUC and set up plexguide on it, the reason being is that there was no way I could stream 4k movies from Hetzner to Australasia, and I found that even smaller REMUX movies buffered intermittently.

I set it up as a home server, and all the devices in the house play from that including having a local share network for browing the GDrive/TDrive. Made such an improvement.

But on the NUC I used ubunutu, so I can't comment on the RaspberryPI.

watchmeexplode5

I've run similar setups before in windows/Linux environments.

I've never done it for a pi but it should be pretty painless. Simply get the pi up and running with whatever distro you want. Then install rclone (google should help with that).

On your current pgblitz server go to "/opt/appdata/plexguide" and find the rclone.conf file. Copy that and move it onto your rclone directory for your pi.

Then just mount via rclone pointing to that config file. Should connect to your gdrive with the same credientials and everything that your current pgblitz server does.

From there install plex and point to your mounts.

Again, I haven't done it on a pi but I don't foresee it being too much of an issue. Google should point you to guides for getting rclone running and mounting on the pi.

mquan164

I purchased a NUC and set up plexguide on it, the reason being is that there was no way I could stream 4k movies.

I set it up as a home server, and all the devices in the house play from that including having a local share network for browing the GDrive/TDrive. Made such an improvement.

But on the NUC I used linux so I can't comment

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.