What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Discussion Poll: Do you encrypt gdrive - yes or no

Do you encrypt your gdrive?

• yes

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • no

Votes: 80 59.3%
  • no - but i'm moving to encryption soon

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • yes - but it was a mistake and i regret it

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

pYTTH

Blitz Legioner
Staff
i'm wondering how many are encrypting their gdrives.
if you encrypt, please state why, what are your toughts on this. is it just peace of mind, higher security
and if not, do you even care or not? or is it better because you can share your gdrive library?

share your toughts.

i believe this might help new people to decide what direction to go if they start at 0

i was there and i wish i had some help in some decisions.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
i'm wondering how many are encrypting their gdrives.
if you encrypt, please state why, what are your toughts on this. is it just peace of mind, higher security
and if not, do you even care or not? or is it better because you can share your gdrive library?

share your toughts.

i believe this might help new people to decide what direction to go if they start at 0

i was there and i wish i had some help in some decisions.
i don't :D

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Neither do I, but lately I have begun to have a sinking feeling that we are dancing to a borrowed jukebox with this one, Admin.
haha lol, hey the option is there now :D

DrgnFyre

Blitz 1st Class
I'm just getting started an am unsure which direction to go.

You say that GSuite Business guarantees they're not looking, but does that mean they'll never look or comply with a court order to unlock the files for an account?

Once I encrypt things, is the only way to decrypt them with rclone / my backed up server? Is there an extension for Windows / Chrome that I can use to see the decrypted files / filenames? (and can I stream files from gdrive if they're encrypted like so)?

Thanks!

Methoxy

Blitz 1st Class
I'm just getting started an am unsure which direction to go.

You say that GSuite Business guarantees they're not looking, but does that mean they'll never look or comply with a court order to unlock the files for an account?

Once I encrypt things, is the only way to decrypt them with rclone / my backed up server? Is there an extension for Windows / Chrome that I can use to see the decrypted files / filenames? (and can I stream files from gdrive if they're encrypted like so)?

Thanks!
This I'd like to know too

titooo7

Blitz Sergeant
As far as I know as long as you have a computer where you can install rclone, then yuo can always decrypt it. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong....

I don't encrypt because it's easier to be able to watch a video from google drive, better to use with google drive kodi addons without rclone and easier to list the content when the stuff is unencrypted. But despite I y pay for an G-Suite account I still think maybe I should....

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
As far as I know as long as you have a computer where you can install rclone, then yuo can always decrypt it. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong....

I don't encrypt because it's easier to be able to watch a video from google drive, better to use with google drive kodi addons without rclone and easier to list the content when the stuff is unencrypted. But despite I y pay for an G-Suite account I still think maybe I should....
you can always deencrypt as long as you know what to do :D with rclone

Marinerdevil

Blitz 1st Class
Donor
Decided to encrypt.

Wife told me if the FBI comes to the house she ain't lying for me. Figure I better lay down as many layers of protection as possible. Besides this is a for fun project and I'm not hoarding anything so if it goes sideways for me, no big deal.

Fredrik

Blitz Noob
Not set up anything yet so this might be clear once I set everything up., but if I choose to encrypt, is it then possible to decrypt on the fly like BitLocker? Having a 100TB media library that I can't access unless I download and decrypt the movies/TV show is not practicable.

MrSweet1991

Blitz Sergeant
I encrypt for the same reasons some people use a VPN.. It may very well be okay unencrypted but as I venture to a petabyte (optimistic) I'll always be wondering.. What if

So yeah I feel more comfortable with encryption

Ross

Blitz 2nd Class
Is there a way to move to encrypted when you set out not encrypted? (IE, to convert existing media and obviously upload new content encrypted).

Thanks!

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager
I think you should be able to create a short script to do it for you.
I had one last year that involved copying my files from one gdrive to another one, I think I used Hetzner Cloud to avoid using up my bandwidth.
It's been a while since I've been on this project as I have been super busy with my new job, so I am still catching up with all the changes here.:geek:
When I have time I will either create a wiki or post the script I used if I can find it again!;)

If no one here can provide instructions then I'm sure a quick google search will give some examples, think that's how I found one?!
Search for rclone copy, source should be your unionfs drive and destination your crypt, but maybe I'm wrong....hopefully someone else can chime in and clarify?!:unsure:

UncleBuck

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
To clarify I am more interested in knowing if there is a way to encrypt existing unencrypted data without downloading and uploading the data. It would be very easy to make a script using rclone via a move or copy command but that would involve downloading and then uploading again. This would be time intensive and use an absolute ton of bandwidth for large libraries.

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager
Actually I think I used a Google Instance to do the copying and left it running until all was done as there was no ingress/egress charge! ;)

loa92

Blitz 2nd Class
Donor
The short answer is no. You’re locked in either way you go. Encrypted/unencrypted. The long answer, as others have mentioned, involves downloading all of your content and reuploading.

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager
Not if you use Google's own servers, then everything stays in their DC's so it would be more like transferring!;)

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager
I have been encrypting my stuff since when I used Amazon Cloud Drive and Rclone together as Amazon did have a habit of checking contents!:geek:
I kinda stuck to it with Gdrive because it's better to be safe than sorry and it would be a shame to lose everything you've amassed over the years! :p

DukeGr

Blitz 3rd Class
Sponsor
I find it pointless to encrypt, unless you share the stuff on your drive noone will bother. Moreover google knows what your thousands of 1-2gb of encrypted files are, they are not stupid.

Deiteq

Administrator
Project Manager
Not necessarily, I know a few 3D artists and film makers that have file sizes ranging from 1gb to 50gb, some do indeed encrypt their work!;)

If Google do end up going the Amazon route and start scanning drives then it'll be harder to catch out those that have chosen to encrypt!:p

loa92

Blitz 2nd Class
Donor
Google can’t dedupe our encrypted data. So all of our encrypted data is potentially taking up more room on their servers than accounts who they can dedupliacte. This might get us on someone’s radar one day.

freeloader

Blitz 2nd Class
I personally encrypt because I seem to have no impact on performance and at least it gives you a degree of "plausible deniability" (it has the filesize of a movie, but you cannot prove that it is a movie). From a technical pov, Loa92's point is a pertinent one though, mass encryption eats up an incredible amount of Google disk space. (Then again, it's only a matter of time before Google starts shutting down the GSuite "backdoor": people here use tens or hundreds of terrabytes of diskspace, that simply is not a viable business model over time -- just like it wasn't at Amazon).

If you're worried about getting caught, Google should be the least of your concerns to be honest. Nowadays, there's practically no clean way to get hold of your media in the first place. You're much more likely to get caught if the feds subpoena:
  • your torrent (private) tracker: by its very nature, all your activity is being tracked and many trackers don't allow VPN use when accessing their forum (and even if you use VPN, slipping up once may link your real IP to your full torrent tracker history -- if you think you'll never slip up, ask "Dread Pirate Roberts" how likely that is);
  • your usenet provider: most don't allow you to pay with bitcoin (and even then, even most bitcoins are trackable), so they have access to your real name and billing information, as well as a full record of what you download (even when they say they don't keep logs, they might be forced by court order to keep track for e.g. 30 days);
  • your server hosting or seedbox company: they often also have your real name and billing details and they keep your GSuite key and secret on file, so they can read fully unencrypted contents of your drives (even if you encrypted).

Total safety is an illusion unfortunately. If they want to get you, they'll get you. Still, I think the whole thing remains low-risk: they're much more likely to shut down hosts, providers, trackers, etc. It would simply take too much time and resources to track down individual users.

systemd

Blitz 3rd Class
If you encrypt you are hurting google as they cannot dedupe the data. I wish that our tools would throw a user facing message like

"Google cannot dedupe data if you encrypt. You increase googles load by doing so. You are ruining this for everyone."

I also wish our tools had an incentive to use 5 accounts. I use 5 accounts because the terms clearly state unlimited starts at $60/month. Thats fine. I wish I could plug in all 5 of my api creds and have it cycle through them. I think more people would pay for the correct number of accounts if the software could handle it. This decreases the likelihood gsuite unlimited is getting shut down.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.