What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Plex server not reachable and/or remote connetion not working all of the sudden

titooo7

***Dedicated Server from Oneprovider
***Plexguide 7.004b
***Plex Pass

During the last 3 days I have had too many problems with Plex. Every couple of hours all of the sudden I get the "Your server is not reachable" message, which means that I can't even touch part of the settings.

Then after some minutes it seems that the server is reachable but it doesn't have remote access despite I enabled it:
"Not available outside your network
Your server is signed in to Plex, but is not reachable from outside your network. "

Any idea of why this would happen and how to fix it permanently?

When it happens it doesn't matter the router, ip address or device I try to use... all of them get the same error

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Might wanna check your remote host and the Plex forums. All pg does is deploy it. If it worked before and it’s just randomly happening, it’s a good chance it’s something with your host. Use portainer and check the logs also.

Porkie

Staff
If your using traefik or a reverse proxy it will show in plex as unavailable but it actually isnt. Im not sure if plexguide adds the relevant proxy url to the plex settings but it needs to be added. In plex go to settings/network and add your plex proxy url to Custom server access URLs .

Once added you shouldn't even need to enable remote access, Its should just work through the proxy.

titooo7

Might wanna check your remote host and the Plex forums. All pg does is deploy it. If it worked before and it’s just randomly happening, it’s a good chance it’s something with your host. Use portainer and check the logs also.
My ports are open (the one of my friends as well) and we didn't had any issue for weeks but since 4 days ago it's a real pain in the a**. It looks like thats something that sometimes happens to people who didn't change anything and had Plex workingly perfect for months...

If your using traefik or a reverse proxy it will show in plex as unavailable but it actually isnt. Im not sure if plexguide adds the relevant proxy url to the plex settings but it needs to be added. In plex go to settings/network and add your plex proxy url to Custom server access URLs .

Once added you shouldn't even need to enable remote access, Its should just work through the proxy.
I just deployed Traefik with Plexguide. What would be the Plex proxy URL? Would it be plex.mydomain.com:32400?

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

titooo7

It would be just plex.mydomain.com traefik forwards all traffic over port https 443.
Thanks nothing I accessible with plex.mydomain.com. Not even mydomain.com

The only thing I did was:
  1. install plexguide and some containers such as plex, sonarr, nzbget, ecterera
  2. point the A records to the server ip address & assign it to cloudflare dns
  3. deploy traefik
Do I need to do something with the domain in apache2 or ngxin to have it working and linked to traefik or that's automatically done by traefik?

Porkie

Staff
Maybe its cloudflare that is the problem. When you first add records to cloudflare you must make sure the cloud icon is grey. You can change it from orange to grey by clicking it. It must be grey before deploying any kind of traefik or reverse proxy.

Once your traefik/proxy is working you can click that cloud icon to make it orange again. I say this but I haven't used cloudflare with plexguide but its the normal way to get proxies through cdn.

titooo7

Maybe its cloudflare that is the problem. When you first add records to cloudflare you must make sure the cloud icon is grey. You can change it from orange to grey by clicking it. It must be grey before deploying any kind of traefik or reverse proxy.

Once your traefik/proxy is working you can click that cloud icon to make it orange again. I say this but I haven't used cloudflare with plexguide but its the normal way to get proxies through cdn.
I think it did it that way already but I'll re-do the DNS parts (remove DNS from cloudfare, deploy Traefik and turn on cloudfare again) just in case.

But then it I don't need to have my website hosted with Nginx it Apache in the decicated server before deploying Traefik??
Is the Traefik process the equivalent to setting up Nginx or Apache to host my website then?

Thanks in advance

timekills

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor

(Highlight added by me to ensure clarity on which point I disagree with.)
Not true. Only true if you follow the CDN version as written, but there is a better way to use Traefik with Cloudflare that will enable Plex as available as well as actually be available.

https://plexguide.com/threads/plex-domain-com-not-working.2078/post-13381

Last edited:

titooo7

Thank you now I have been able to access to portainer using portainter.mydomain.com

I'm having some trouble having it as plex.mydomain.com but trying to get it fixed following the instructions of this post; https://plexguide.com/threads/plex-domain-com-not-working.2078/post-13381

Last edited:

timekills

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
Thank you now I have been able to access to portainer using portainter.bravongomo.com

I'm having some trouble having it as plex.bravongomo.com but trying to get it fixed following the instructions of this post; https://plexguide.com/threads/plex-domain-com-not-working.2078/post-13381
I have some screenshots of Cloudflare posted under a Heimdall fix thread, but they're the same settings and include all the recommended Cloudflare settings if you need them.

https://plexguide.com/threads/heimdall-unauthorized-scripts-error-invalid-https-after-traefik-fix-with-cloudflare.2259/#post-12187

timekills

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
Whats not true? When you reverse proxy plex you dont need to port forward as it goes through the proxy https port 443 but plex will says its not accessible in ui.
It's not true that using the reverse proxy that there is no way to have your Plex server show through the plex.tv and otherwise that it's reachable from outside.

The old CDN instructions allowed it to be reachable, but it would show as unreachable inside settings. Yes - it generally worked, but can cause problems. There is a better way, still using the Traefik reverse proxy and even getting the benefit of Cloudflare's security and speeds that also allows your server to be and advertise as reachable.

Porkie

Staff
It's not true that using the reverse proxy that there is no way to have your Plex server show through the plex.tv and otherwise that it's reachable from outside.

The old CDN instructions allowed it to be reachable, but it would show as unreachable inside settings. Yes - it generally worked, but can cause problems. There is a better way, still using the Traefik reverse proxy and even getting the benefit of Cloudflare's security and speeds that also allows your server to be and advertise as reachable.
Im new to treafik and only used nginx previously. Forwarding plex through a proxy was never a issue with LE/Nginx. I dont use plexguide for plex but just as a feeder so Im commenting on my past experience with nginx.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.