What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Ideas Plex Media Player will no longer be supported or receive updates after January 30th, 2020

Xployt

Hi PG Community,

Figured this would be the best place to put this. I for one use the Plex Media Player.

Plex Media Player will no longer be supported or receive updates after January 30th, 2020. More information on alternatives and the retirement of Plex Media Player can be found at https://www.plex.tv/blog/desktop-af/?_ga=2.26042749.1744427028.1565988658-240100208.1554893524

Current versions can be downloaded below. We will provide links for newer versions as they become available https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-media-player/120475/last

This is a cut from this post here. What does this say for the rest of their players.....who knows.

Let us know what you think below and also what are your thoughts on the recent UI change!

Zippy

Staff
Why are they doing this? I use pmp because it doesn't have to transcode anything versus a browser that usually has to transcode video or audio as browsers don't support a lot of media formats.

Xployt

I have no idea! Really disappointing move though! My guess is they just want to focus on the platforms which are more popular like the PS4/Apple TV. Personally I think their PS4 Player is the worst one out of the lot!

seanweldon

I want to make sure I understand what is no longer going to receive updates. Plex media server? Pgblitz support of plex media server? Or something else?

zukato

Respected Member
Donor
PMP will not receive updates but will be/is replaced by another desktop application. The server part is not affected.

Xployt

Correct @zukato
The new Plex app has already been released and it isn't known as Plex Media Player but simply just Plex.

Also comes with a new offline capability. It's just now called 'Downloads' instead of 'Sync'. They are also dropping their 'TV mode'.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Ever get the feeling some people enjoy being overly dramatic for the sake of it? Who honestly uses PMP in an HTPC set-up in this day and age? I built my first dedicated HTPC 18 years ago (Shuttle SV24), I haven't bothered with an HTPC setup in at least 5 years, if not longer. Between Roku/FireTV, Shield, Pi, PS3/4/Xbox and smartTV platforms, better solutions have existed for a lot of years. Besides, it doesn't look like it would prevent anyone using Plex as an HTPC front end with some very minor tweaks if they really wanted to.

Now the new UI on the other hand has me sharpening my pitchfork ;)

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Ever get the feeling some people enjoy being overly dramatic for the sake of it? Who honestly uses PMP in an HTPC set-up in this day and age? I built my first dedicated HTPC 18 years ago (Shuttle SV24), I haven't bothered with an HTPC setup in at least 5 years, if not longer. Between Roku/FireTV, Shield, Pi, PS3/4/Xbox and smartTV platforms, better solutions have existed for a lot of years. Besides, it doesn't look like it would prevent anyone using Plex as an HTPC front end with some very minor tweaks if they really wanted to.

haha!

It seems the main thing is they are completely dropping support for a computer to be comfortably connected to a TV/projector. So, no remote support, and no interface that is suitable to be viewed more then a couple of feet away from the screen.

And there are lots of people with VERY high end systems that don't use set-top boxes for their Plex because they are all under-powered for very high end content. So, while the STB's that are available may be "better" for most people because they are easier to setup and they don't have a $10,000+ home theater, they are most definitely not better for people that want the absolute best and can afford to get it...

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
It seems the main thing is they are completely dropping support for a computer to be comfortably connected to a TV/projector. So, no remote support, and no interface that is suitable to be viewed more then a couple of feet away from the screen.

And there are lots of people with VERY high end systems that don't use set-top boxes for their Plex because they are all under-powered for very high end content. So, while the STB's that are available may be "better" for most people because they are easier to setup and they don't have a $10,000+ home theater, they are most definitely not better for people that want the absolute best and can afford to get it...
good point.

Xployt

@Datamonkeh @On_fire
I agree with both of your posts. I only use PMP whilst working on the computer or just when I'm on it in general. If I want to watch it casually then I use Infuse on my Apple TV.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor

I think we have vastly different ideas about high end, 10K US should buy you a half decent 4K PJ and screen, a decent AV set-up could easily run your budget to 2-3x or more than that depending on what you want to do.

Plex’s main strength is it’s ability to transcode (useless feature for high end as your focus is going to be quality, so 1:1 content direct played) and off the shelf mediocrity in the form of a not awful UI and ability to pull meta data. As the former is counter intuitive to quality, it’s largely useless, the latter is better achieved in Kodi for example and without the agro of forced upgrades and unplanned UI changes as well as full customisation of what you want, how you want it. That said I might have pinned a family member who’s home cinema set-up cost more than my first house and he hasn’t complained... yet :D

Xployt

Yeah but let's be honest this isn't a move based on the "big spenders" this is for those who go home and their best player is say a PS4.
Because it's a cheap and easy to use media centre (if you can even call is that) that even your non-technically minded nan could use!

With that being said @Datamonkeh said he was going to invite certain members round to this home cinema set-up....*cough*....I don't think I could make this any clearer.....maybe I should use caps?

zukato

Respected Member
Donor

Don’t forget the Apple TV 😉

KingyBear1

I use a HTPC because I wanted something cheap that could play 4k movies reliably. (I all so use it for gaming etc)

If they stopped today I wouldn't mind, I'm happy with the latest release.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
I use a HTPC because I wanted something cheap that could play 4k movies reliably. (I all so use it for gaming etc)

If they stopped today I wouldn't mind, I'm happy with the latest release.
Only downside is it may stop working properly if the change apis and etc but media players are so cheap these days.

PlexFan

Staff
This was last important to me when I ran a cpu on a tv back in 2012. After Apple TV and jailbreaks, Roku, chrome set and new tv, hasn’t been an issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.