Discussion Planning new home server

Sejrup

Blitz 2nd Class
Original poster
Planning a new server at home as I have parts lying around. Was thinking about the following setup.

• 2 x 120 GB SSDs in Raid 1 for Ubuntu. Only OS disk, nothing else
  • 1 x nvme 500 GB SSD as a processing drive. I would like this drive to handle all processing of files before offloading them to the archive drives. Also for Plex metadata, database etc.
  • 10 x HDDs for storage. Just to keep all media files once processed.
I was planning on using mergerfs for setting up the drives. And perhaps use SnapRAID as well as proposed in the Linuxserver.io blog.

https://blog.linuxserver.io/2016/02/02/the-perfect-media-server-2016/
https://blog.linuxserver.io/2017/06/24/the-perfect-media-server-2017/

nvme would be setup as /mnt/process
HDDs as /mnt/tank

I am fairly ok with reading and following misc Linux guides :p

Any inputs on how big a task would it be to configure this setup? Does it even make sense to do it like this?
Would the Multi HDD version be the right one to use? At the moment no need for me to use Google Drive as spare drive. I have plenty of space on the HDDs at the moment

Thanks for your input!

Reactions: zippy

M3GATRON

Blitz Noob
Planning a new server at home as I have parts lying around. Was thinking about the following setup.

• 2 x 120 GB SSDs in Raid 1 for Ubuntu. Only OS disk, nothing else
  • 1 x nvme 500 GB SSD as a processing drive. I would like this drive to handle all processing of files before offloading them to the archive drives. Also for Plex metadata, database etc.
  • 10 x HDDs for storage. Just to keep all media files once processed.
I was planning on using mergerfs for setting up the drives. And perhaps use SnapRAID as well as proposed in the Linuxserver.io blog.

https://blog.linuxserver.io/2016/02/02/the-perfect-media-server-2016/
https://blog.linuxserver.io/2017/06/24/the-perfect-media-server-2017/

nvme would be setup as /mnt/process
HDDs as /mnt/tank

I am fairly ok with reading and following misc Linux guides :p

Any inputs on how big a task would it be to configure this setup? Does it even make sense to do it like this?
Would the Multi HDD version be the right one to use? At the moment no need for me to use Google Drive as spare drive. I have plenty of space on the HDDs at the moment

Thanks for your input!
I currently host Plex and everything else from home with local storage. I might be able to provide some insight.

2 x 120 GB SSDs for OS seems overkill. Either get 2 x 60GB if you want redundancy or install Plex and other apps on that 2 x 120GB volume. The reason I say this is because as much as NVMe would help plex update libraries and metadata, it also grows as you add movies. If you want to upgrade/migrate anything down the road, moving plex is more risky.

I would recommend you install Plex with your OS drive so that you get the most use out of your space and redundancy. Having 500GB NVMe scratch drive works file. If you want to get the most out of your NVMe, I would recommend setting up your raid such that it can sustain high write speeds. Otherwise your high read speeds from NVMe would not be used because your 10 x HDD would become a bottleneck,

I am running FreeNAS and it has been working great except the electricity cost haha!
Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

zippy

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
I run my PlexGuide server and a OpenMediaVault server in a VM running with ESXI.
My PG server has a 150gb ssd for fast downloads and processing. After the download is finished sonarr/radarr moves the file and renames it to my network nas (running from OMV).
Works perfectly.

Sejrup

Blitz 2nd Class
Original poster
Thanks for the quick reply (y)

The only reason for two 120 GB SSDs in Raid 1 is, that I have the disks already :)

• For the sake of simplicity, would it be better / easier to simply install the OS on the nvme drive, skip the two SSDs in Raid 1 and just figure out how to transfer files to the storage array once processing is done?
  • If I merge the storage drives in one array, would this then be considered as a "single drive" in PG terminology?
  • If I am to install the OS on the nvme drive, can I still assign this as the processing drive using the solo edition?
  • I am still in doubt about which version of PG to install if I want to have processing done on the nvme before transferring to the storage array?

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.