What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Discussion PG9 Feedback Forum

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
pgupdate doesn't seem to work yet:

/bin/pgupdate: line 11: sudocheck: command not found
/bin/pgupdate: line 12: missingpull: command not found
/bin/pgupdate: line 13: exitcheck: command not found
Ya it’s in the writeup about pgupdate not ready yet. Was improving the installer. The pgupdate will be next and thanks for the typo catch haha

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Hello, on regard of the OS, is it worth testing on Debian 10, or should I stay on Debian 9?
I have not test 10 but you can try and would help for feedback.

fa99x24

Basically any/all directory references in every app will need to be updated. RuTorrent, Sabnzbd, Jackett, NZBHydra, Emby, Plex... Thats a massive change to any existing setup that creates many potential failure points and/or a lot of work for the user to upgrade.

Not to mention any custom mount points based on the existing directory structure.

If the user has thousands of Movies and TV Shows, this could be days of downtime?
Once backup/restore is working for PG9, you will be able to add the new library locations /pg/unity before removing the old ones. I assume Plex will be (much) faster scanning the libraries this way. Afterwards you can remove the /mnt/unionfs paths in the libraries and empty the trash. Unfortunately I don't know how much time you save by doing it that way (but will find out soon enough :) )

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Once backup/restore is working for PG9, you will be able to add the new library locations /pg/unity before removing the old ones. I assume Plex will be (much) faster scanning the libraries this way. Afterwards you can remove the /mnt/unionfs paths in the libraries and empty the trash. Unfortunately I don't know how much time you save by doing it that way (but will find out soon enough :) )
I tried just changing the file paths and don’t work out well. It does that delete thing and then scan.

G-San

The new pg folder structure will wipe out all the custom changes users made to their databases, will take well over a week if not more for my library to be scanned. Does it really matter if teamdrives are called shared drives somewhere? Why change the paths?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
The new pg folder structure will wipe out all the custom changes users made to their databases, will take well over a week if not more for my library to be scanned. Does it really matter if teamdrives are called shared drives somewhere? Why change the paths?
It's a complete groud up rewrite. This is to prevent future forced changes. This also relives many permission issues and everything is contained under /pg including the mounts. Overtime yes, the API will change. Also we do not use unionfs which has caused confusion for newer members.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager

antigravity

Respected Member
Just thought i'd raise the potential pain changing folder paths will cause users. As long as you're aware of it - that's all I can ask.

If I stay on PG8, and an urgent update is required to keep functionality (say for example the recent update to the Rclone user agent), will PG8 be updated along with PG9? Or will only PG9 be kept up to date to ensure long term functionality?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Somehow I missed this. How does the process now work, or is it too OT?
Just thought i'd raise the potential pain changing folder paths will cause users. As long as you're aware of it - that's all I can ask.

If I stay on PG8, and an urgent update is required to keep functionality (say for example the recent update to the Rclone user agent), will PG8 be updated along with PG9? Or will only PG9 be kept up to date to ensure long term functionality?
You are now using mergerfs. This changed starting in 8.3 and up.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager

Ya basic changes can easily be made. Also anyone can send a pull request in that case also.

vFlagR

Respected Member
Staff
While this update will be a lot of work from the end user perspective I think it's a good change that's going in the right direction. We've known that PG9 would be a complete rewrite and would contain a new folder structure for quite some time now. I fully anticipated about a week of back and forth to make sure everything is working correctly. This isn't just an incremental update, it's a total shift and I think we all have to appreciate it for that. If you like the way things are and can't be bothered with the change then absolutely feel free to stay on PG8, it works perfectly fine. Going forward for the future though this re-write was badly needed and I think if it's easier to make changes reliably because of this re-write then that's nothing but a good thing.

Thank you Admin for all of your hard work, and to anyone else who's contributed. This is a fantastic service you've provided, for free, to many people & I for one greatly appreciate it. Long may it continue!

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
pgupdate doesn't seem to work yet:

/bin/pgupdate: line 11: sudocheck: command not found
/bin/pgupdate: line 12: missingpull: command not found
/bin/pgupdate: line 13: exitcheck: command not found
works now, but you'll have to rerun the main installer again to kick in.

Xployt

People to need to keep in mind that you don't HAVE to update and especially NOT straight away!

The hard effort put in is to make things easier for yourselves in the long run. When you buy new shoes you have to wear them in, nothing is perfect straight away.
It's not as if you have to sit there and watch a scan so if there's something you or your users wish to watch then setup up a smaller library and scan that one first.

Appreciate everyone's efforts so far even those that have spoken out, everything is absorbed and appreciated.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Admin9705 PG Script Questions & Bugs 1
Escondido Blitz Apps 1
Whatdafuq Ideas & Suggestions 2