Solved Password and Salt work in 8.5.8 but do not in 8.6.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbitron

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
Staff
I am working on upgrading to 8.6.1. I install 8.5.8 and my password/salt work. I install 8.6.1 with the exact same password and they do not.

Thank you!

hooper

Blitz Legioner
Staff
Donor
how are you setting the password? Did you record your original password when you deployed 8.5.8? or are you just copying what you see in the rclone.conf and inputting that into the 8.6.1 install?

orbitron

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
Staff
I recorded the original password when I deployed 8.5.8 and copying and pasting that password from my notes into the 8.6.1 pgblitz w/encryption wizard.

phoenixxx

Blitz 3rd Class
Similar scenario here, I'm upgrading from a much older version, but my files are not showing as decrypted in 8.6.1, the encrypted folder and contents are listed.

hooper

Blitz Legioner
Staff
Donor
@orbitron, @phoenixxx use the rclone reveal command against the hashed version of your password and salt (the values in the rclone.conf file) and make sure they match what you think your actual password/salt are.

JBM88

Blitz 3rd Class
@orbitron, @phoenixxx use the rclone reveal command against the hashed version of your password and salt (the values in the rclone.conf file) and make sure they match what you think your actual password/salt are.
Can confirm the same problem on 8.6.1 , triple checked with rclone reveal and entered them manually again during setting up PG Clone on a new server, the hash that is finally in the rclone.conf is completely different than the one from the previous rclone.conf that is working in 8.5.8
Also restoring keys is not working in 8.6.1 as it tries to restore from a .tar.gz but the backup files are saved only in a folder in gdrive not as a zip.

You can manually enter the old pw hashes if you have a working rclone.conf for gcrypt and tcrypt and then reboot the server and it will work, but it would be nice to find out why the exact same passwords produce different hashes in 8.6.1 that are unable to decrypt any content already in tdrive

hooper

Blitz Legioner
Staff
Donor
@JBM88 It would be interesting to run rclone reveal against the hashes generated for 8.6.1. In a previous release of PG there was a bug that added an extra CR/LF to the password, making it not match. I wonder if something like that has occurred again with 8.6.1 release.

phoenixxx

Blitz 3rd Class
@hooper - rclone reveal does not show passwords against the hashes stored in the rclone.conf file in 8.6.1

If I use the hashes for an older configuration, rclone reveal confirms these.

@JBM88 - Thanks, I had noticed this and tried this yesterday - but the contents were not decrypted afterwards. I'm going to repeat if this has been successful for you, perhaps I left a trailing space or similar.

phoenixxx

Blitz 3rd Class
@Admin9705 - Yes, thanks - something is broken in 8.6.1, as you can see from the thread, but manually putting the keys in works :) Pretty sure I had made the schoolboy error of not rebooting when I tried this first time around.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
@Admin9705 - Yes, thanks - something is broken in 8.6.1, as you can see from the thread, but manually putting the keys in works :) Pretty sure I had made the schoolboy error of not rebooting when I tried this first time around.
I'll run test later. I'll setup a 8.5.8 version drop a file then upgrade and rerun. Have to do later today. When originally building, i test uploaded files showing up with no issues. Part in do i do not use the encryption. It's the reason why we let RC1 sit for awhile, but didn't see issues.

wuffers

Blitz 3rd Class
I can confirm something is wacky. I had 8.5.8 and tried to pgupdate to 8.6.1. It didn't take my email at all, so I remade my VM. Vanilla 8.6.1 install, no tcrypt folders were there after mounting (did that several times), and had to modify my rclone.conf with the password and salt with my old values. It looked like my only option was to create new keys too, and no option to restore like the older versions.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
STEP 1

I'm running a test now and will post screenshots. I'm running a CLEAN 8.5.8 with a media team drive called test with the password and salt both being plexguide.

STEP 2

Deployed Encrypted Blitz. Dropped a dummy file in /mnt/move

Ok now gone

Ok uploaded

Now checking /mnt/tcrypt

Good, so the file bbq.corn is there.

So now we see bbq.corn under /mnt/unionfs/

So now lets move on

STEP 3

Now upgrading to 8.6.2 and seeing if the files are there using the same password and salt on new setup.

Next

Both are set to plexguide

Just a double tap

Ok everything is good to go and deploying.

FINAL CHECKS

So mount deployed

Now lets check on /mnt/tcrypt

And there you go!

I would make sure you ADD THE NEW USERS TO YOUR TEAMDRIVE and that your password and salt are correct. People in the past who upgraded to 8.3 had the same problems (but realized their passwords were wrong and forgot em, which is why i warn people about encrypted; do not forget).

1556241958239.png

Attachments

Last edited:

orbitron

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
Staff
Status
Not open for further replies.