What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Overkill Home Server build complete, now to sort out cloud...

womble123

Hello all!

Well I went from a MacBook Air running OSX Server and a few USB external HD's (20GB usable JBOD) to a Synology DS918+ (32GB with 8GB Parity and 24GB usable) which I had for about 2 weeks before sending back to Amazon and building my overkill Home Server (64GB with 16GB Parity and 48GB usable) which is almost ready to move into my overkill rack:

Server:

Case: Logic Case 4U with 8 Hot Swap Bays (400mm deep, should of gone deeper, ooo er, ha)
Case Fans: 2 x Arctic F8 PWM - 80 mm
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7PESH2
CPU's: 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2
CPU Coolers: 2 x be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory: 64GB DDR3 1600MHz EEC Reg
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 1060 Mini 6GB
Base OS: Unraid Pro - 16GB Kingston USB
SAS Raid Controller: Dell H200
VM Storage: 2 x Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB
Cache Drives: 2 x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
Array: 8 x Shucked WD Red 8TB

All is running well on unraid with multiple dockers etc and have a VM windows 10 for playing steam games via Parsec on my Raspberry Pi. Im managing to get good FPS on High/Ultra @ 1080p with the Geforce 1060 but I don't game that much really.

I have terrible UK internet upload speeds which is a pain so I was wondering if I can use PG but instead of uploading my existing media, can it be downloaded straight onto the GDrive then syncing with my Home Server? Im very new to PG, in fact I only used it for a very short time a few weeks ago and my Hezner bill just came through for a grand total of £0.79p! So im looking to hopefully do the above (download straight the the Drive) and then Sync. If the files don't match in size im not terribly bothered as I monitor my media anyhow as im trying to get better bitrate and mostly 4K media now.

Cheers

IMG_3632.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
You did what I did before blitz, minus the server. Had 76tb of drives and realzied it was smarter to just go cloud. They provide a 25 day snap shot and you can run multiple servers with the same gmounts

M

MrDoob

Short info...
That's not "overkill".
More then normal build with 2 CPU^s and 1 GPU .

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Yes you can, use GCE or a VPS/dedicated box + a news provider and re-download, conventional move is 750GB/day, Blitz is up to 15TB/day, you can do a lot very quickly and just mount the drive to your local server as usual.

Nice board, was that the one that went for £40 on eBay recently? I'm in the midst of moving my unraid box to an SC833, NVMe for VM's works really well on my ESXi box, so i'm busy moving to a mixed HD/AHCI SSD/NVMe SSD set-up, then I spotted a cheap PCIe 1.2TB card... also the H310 has better port placement than the H200.

Last edited:

womble123

Cheers. I may go down the Hezner router again as I managed to do that last time. What do you mean by 'conventional move is 750GB/day, Blitz is up to 15TB/day'? I don't fully understand.

Yeah, thats the one. My M'board does have a onboard SAS controller but its work broken on arrival fro the US and it would be cheaper to buy the board again and ship it than to RMA it which is pain. The board is $175 but cost me around $275 to get it here after shipping/tax etc.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
One popped up two weeks ago int he UK for £40, another cheap one in the US for similar money and one of the US sellers has been doing them cheap with CPU's for a while, I keep looking at the intel version for £75, but I can drop a single CPU with more cores and better performance/efficiency in my x99 set-up's for similar money as I already have the board/RAM/cooler etc.

Basically you're exactly where I was about two years ago with unraid, I chose to start from scratch with a VPS+GDrive set-up to add media and a local Plex instance as my VPS is light on CPU resources and haven't looked back. Even a low end Kimsufi 100Mbit box will do 750GB/day no problem, or a cheap Hetzner instance.

M

MrDoob

PGMove | GDrive = 750GB each day maximum Upload

PGBlitz | TDrive with max. 20 Service keys = 15TB each day maximum Upload

Why you dont buy not a " DELL Perc H310i IT-FLASH " it's a very good HW Controller with 2 Port SAS 6GBp/s

Each port can 4 drive handle and seperate Raid handle.

It's not so expensive . Check ebay ~ 50€ I pay for this.

And actually UK is in the EU so you dont pay TAX from EU .

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Functionally the H200 and H310 are identical and use the same LSI SAS2008 chipset - I have both, the 200 just has ports pointing up from the PCIe slot, the H310 has them pointing away from the back plate. The Dell firmware has some minor differences in terms of buffers vs stock, but they flash to stock easy enough and once done properly with the generic firmware, they are fine. The PCIe 2 vs 3 debate is also largely moot for most mechanical drives as non SAS drives drop to SATA3GB/s rather than SATA6GB/s anyway. Just don't put SSD's on them (no TRIM support and SATA3 = 50% speed).

I probably spent way too much time playing with playing/cross flashing/benchmarking them :D

As to the UK being in the EU and the tax situation, tell that to German hosts, though technically for at least the next 6 days you're right, beyond that is anybody guess!

Last edited:
M

MrDoob

Till middle of Juni is UK in the EU ^^

Than go strange a head in you dead of economy ^^

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Interesting point, I suspect it's more of a storm in a tea cup.

The sad thing about all of this is we need the EU as much as the EU needs us, unfortunately rather than acknowledge that, both sides have taken a punitive approach to negotiations and it's perceived that rather than parting on favourable terms with each other, we seem to be choosing between a bad deal and no deal. At least with no deal, we can still negotiate a deal, with a bad deal, it is what it is.

Oh, and if it all goes horribly wrong I have eligibility to claim citizenship in among other places Germany as does Mrs Datamonkeh :D

womble123

Cheers for the info on PGMove and PGBlitz. I still need to do some reading as I don't fully understand it all as yet. I just need to get the same or at least same film/show online before I go anywhere (preferably in the same or better quality also).

Is there a tutorial on that part?

womble123

Right, I've watched some videos and I kinda get it now but its the initial bit im having trouble with due to my slow upload.

I basically want to use Radarr, Sonarr, and Lidarr to mirror my local drives somehow using VPS or GCE to download the nzb's direct to the cloud so it mirrors my local as close a possible based on the quality profiles etc? After thats done and I have a near exact copy of my local media I carry use PG as normal. Does that make sense?

womble123

Did I confuse you all?

So initially NZB >>> GDrive >>> Download to drive GDrive >>> Sort in GDrive >>> Plex mounts GDrive

After >>> Normal way after once folders match local the same / GDrive

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.