What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

New Media Server with Windows file server

BeeRobots

Blitz 3rd Class
Hi all, I am just getting started with Ubuntu and a new media server utilizing plexguide. I have a quick question. I would like to use my Ubuntu VM to run docker, sonarr, etc. and save those files to a domain joined Windows file server. I was wondering if anyone utilizes this setup or had any knowledge about how this might be done? Thanks in advance for any answers!

Zippy

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
I'm assuming the windows file server is a samba share and accessible by different computers you can install cifs. apt install cifs

the command to connect would look like:

mount -t cifs -o username=USER,password=PASS //197.100.1.192/nas/Media /mnt/nas

the 197 ip is the local server's direct path
and /mnt/nas is the folder on the ubuntu server

I also like to chmod 777 the entire folder because sonarr/radarr can get angry and not move media unless it had full access.

BeeRobots

Blitz 3rd Class
I'm assuming the windows file server is a samba share and accessible by different computers you can install cifs. apt install cifs

I also like to chmod 777 the entire folder because sonarr/radarr can get angry and not move media unless it had full access.

Thanks Zippy! I'll give that a try and let you know how it turns out.

BeeRobots

Blitz 3rd Class
Thanks for that info, i was able to get the drive mounted to my Ubuntu server but I am unable to navigate to it from sonarr or radarr? I'm guessing this is a permissions issue but I'm not sure. I'm going to keep plugging away though so let me know what you think!

Zippy

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Thanks for that info, i was able to get the drive mounted to my Ubuntu server but I am unable to navigate to it from sonarr or radarr? I'm guessing this is a permissions issue but I'm not sure. I'm going to keep plugging away though so let me know what you think!
You may have to add the directory to each of those containers in portainer as a volume.
This is what my sonar volumes look like. the bottom one is pointed to the directory that the nas is mounted to.

BeeRobots

Blitz 3rd Class
That is probably my issue. I need to figure out the path to my mounted drive on my ubuntu server so I can add a volume to Sonarr.

BeeRobots

Blitz 3rd Class
Thanks for all your help Zippy, any way I could convince you to expound on your setup and exactly how I set up this volume? my full path to the mounted share is /home/plex/Desktop/TV does that get placed in the path in the container or in the Volume field? Sorry I am not that familiar with Linux or File Sharing in general, but I'm learning lol. Thanks again.

Zippy

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Thanks for all your help Zippy, any way I could convince you to expound on your setup and exactly how I set up this volume? my full path to the mounted share is /home/plex/Desktop/TV does that get placed in the path in the container or in the Volume field? Sorry I am not that familiar with Linux or File Sharing in general, but I'm learning lol. Thanks again.
Ok so when you mounted your share to the linux machine are you able to navigate to it and place a file inside? Example: cd /mnt/nas && touch test then on another machine connect to that share or even the server that the share is hosted and do you see that test file? If so continue, if not I'll try to help if something is wrong.

Portainer:
  • Ensure the directory that the network share is mounted to has a full rights chmod 777 shareFolder
  • In portainer stop your sonarr container && go into it and click Duplicate/Edit
  • Once in the edit mode, scroll down to the last card in the ui titled Advanced container settings and click the Volumes tab
  • From there click map additional volume, it will create a blank volume map, fill it out like so:
      • Ensure the mode is set to BIND on the right
  • Now scroll up a little and click Deploy Container
Now in sonarr when adding a tv show make sure you set the download directory to /tv as that is that path set that points to the mount on the linux machine
Do the same for radarr.

Let me know if you need more help.

BeeRobots

Blitz 3rd Class
That worked but apparently when I mounted my shared drive it's owner was root! I cant adjust any of it's permissions lol. Sheesh. Well I'll tackle that tomorrow. Thanks for all your help

BeeRobots

Blitz 3rd Class
So when I originally mounted the share drive it's owner was root. I have tried adding this with a uid and gid of 1000 which is my default user to no avail. I cannot change ownership from root and I cannot install a shared drive as anything other than owned by root. I did this using cifs and editing the /etc/fstab file.

Zippy

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
So when I originally mounted the share drive it's owner was root. I have tried adding this with a uid and gid of 1000 which is my default user to no avail. I cannot change ownership from root and I cannot install a shared drive as anything other than owned by root. I did this using cifs and editing the /etc/fstab file.
Don't really understand what's wrong. You can't get the directory mounted into your container?

BeeRobots

Blitz 3rd Class
Sorry I didn't explain that well. I can get the directory mounted to the container but sonarr doesn't have access to write to it. I have tried to chmod 777 to the directory but it keeps saying that its not allowed to and when I check ownership it is owned by root. I cannot change ownership or permissions.

Zippy

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Sorry I didn't explain that well. I can get the directory mounted to the container but sonarr doesn't have access to write to it. I have tried to chmod 777 to the directory but it keeps saying that its not allowed to and when I check ownership it is owned by root. I cannot change ownership or permissions.
Hmm, never had this happen to me, my directory is owned by root wiht 777 perms and I have no issues. I would google it some more or even try a reboot see if it works (tho you need to remount on a reboot)

BeeRobots

Blitz 3rd Class
Fixed it. It was my NTFS Share Permissions, duh. Thanks for all your help Zippy would've taken a few extra weeks if it weren't for you

Zippy

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Fixed it. It was my NTFS Share Permissions, duh. Thanks for all your help Zippy would've taken a few extra weeks if it weren't for you
No problem, if you have any other questions drop them on the forums we're here to help.

fr0sty

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Donor
Ive been messing with this and had the folder 777 till i mount it then it jumped to 755.
Followed this guide to set permissions in /etc/fstab itself. Note: I did change cifs vers=3.0 not 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.