Netcup

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

DeadPool

Blitz Sergeant
I wouldn't recommend netcup to anyone, their are so paranoid about the verification and the cancel terms are so bad.
verification is middle ground (ie more than nothing and less than asking for passports).
cancel terms are at best shady and at worst duplicitous..
31 day cancellation term means that, in affect, their monthly term lasts for two months.
20Euro 'upgrade admin' fee which is frankly ludicrous.

HOWEVER, if you're smart you can 'test' for 14 days then use the snapshot export to ul/dl the image snap offsite.Then you're able to use said snapshot in any new(same OS) vps you use.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION - their hardware quality/$ ratio is unbeatable ANYWHERE on the interwebs.
2p

barryclamsworth

Blitz Samurai
Donor
I might just mention that I've been causing their Anti DDos filter to kick in lately due to some of my questionable high speed downloading activities. It takes a few hours before it automatically switches off but makes not much difference to me as it's just a download server at the moment.

I can adjust the settings and stop it from happening but I haven't found the sweet spot yet and there doesn't appear to be a way to switch it off completely. (This is only happening with MyJDownloader)

I got myself a one year contract so I'll be sticking with it until at least then. So far it's been great for me.

Reactions: Erico and Admin9705

badcop

Blitz 2nd Class
Donor
Placed an order and quite pleased with the performance thus far, even my peering without a cdn is more than enough which is a lot coming from the distance for myself and others that casually use my plex.

macfreaker

Blitz Sergeant
Backer
Placed an order and quite pleased with the performance thus far, even my peering without a cdn is more than enough which is a lot coming from the distance for myself and others that casually use my plex.
I am happy for you but I get from time to time in Plex “server not strong enough” and when I change the movie quality then it is better.

badcop

Blitz 2nd Class
Donor
I am happy for you but I get from time to time in Plex “server not strong enough” and when I change the movie quality then it is better.
I try to keep all new media aac x264 always to keep as much server load off the box as possible. Best to try and convert some old content because there is no sense in transcoding the same movie 8 times vs the obvious at least for me

DeadPool

Blitz Sergeant
I have noticed with newshosting I can no longer connect to:

news.newshosting.com (this is an auto locate so would go to news-de anyway)
news-de.newshosting.com

I can connect no problems to:

news-nl.newshosting.com
news-eu.newshosting.com

I have not tried the US server.

I wonder if it is actually netcup blocking the local newshosting services for some sort of legal reasons. Does newsdemon have alternate servers you can try?
As usual barry comes with the pertinent information!

EWEKA does work also.

Thanks

---- Automatically Merged Double Post ----

Yeah, last month I noticed that the .com server stopped working...found that the US one was down so now use the EU one, but I just tested them again and the US one is working but the DE one is down which means the .com is down also!:unsure:
+1

I try to keep all new media aac x264 always to keep as much server load off the box as possible. Best to try and convert some old content because there is no sense in transcoding the same movie 8 times vs the obvious at least for me
badcop, do you not think aac makes eveything sound flat and really hard to hear?
my experience over many years is that i can barely hear them during talking scenes and then during action scenes my telly almost falls off the wall with the noise...
no dynamic contrast in sound.of course it depends on the sampling rate and bitrate but i usually find the 'flatness' to be the default and not the exception..
YMMV obviously.
just adding my tuppence.

Last edited:
Reactions: barryclamsworth

DeadPool

Blitz Sergeant
badcop, do you not think aac makes eveything sound flat and really hard to hear?
my experience over many years is that i can barely hear them during talking scenes and then during action scenes my telly almost falls off the wall with the noise...
no dynamic contrast in sound.of course it depends on the sampling rate and bitrate but i usually find the 'flatness' to be the default and not the exception..
YMMV obviously.
Thank you DeadPool, this made me feel useful in the midst of a grey couple of weeks.
mate your additions to ANY threads i've ever read have ALWAYS been pertinent and on the ball>
you and DT are the people who have helped me most on PG so thank YOU.
(just in case you're not feeling the love Admin, you're great too!)
Seems a few of you are going through some stuff these past couple of weeks:
Chins up all.

DP

thanks to barry admin DT et al(my own hours(and hours and hours and hours and hours.lol) of study and effort notwithstanding), i now have a fully operation system...
and i managed to max out a 1gbps connex(though not flatline(just peak))...
THAT'S 115MB/s BOYS AND GIRLS>
F***adoodles!!!!!!
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Datamonkeh

badcop

Blitz 2nd Class
Donor
still going strong well worth the price, even able to build buffer and is more than capable of racing against some fat ovh's. Friends have nothing but good things to say about the new server and it's all thanks to netcup. Has better peering than hetzner in my opinion. I'll probablly update again in 3 months

titooo7

Blitz Sergeant
Is any of those capable of doing 4 simultaneous 1080p transcodes.
I had a look to the passmark scores of that cpu but it looks like the number of cores they have on the servers is less than the ones of the CPU scored on the passmark websites

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Is any of those capable of doing 4 simultaneous 1080p transcodes.
I had a look to the passmark scores of that cpu but it looks like the number of cores they have on the servers is less than the ones of the CPU scored on the passmark websites
Divide the total CPU mark score by the number of cores, this gives the per core figure (not thread). Plex quote 2K for a 1080p transcode, multiply that by the number of streams you wish to simultaneously transcode, divide that total by your per core figure to work out how many cores you need to transcode that number of streams at once. Remember to allow for anything else you will be doing at the same time (downloads, PAR/RAR work, Sonarr/Radarr, Tatulli, Ombi etc.)

Then make better client/media choices so that you don’t need to transcode in the first place.

titooo7

Blitz Sergeant
Divide the total CPU mark score by the number of cores, this gives the per core figure (not thread). Plex quote 2K for a 1080p transcode, multiply that by the number of streams you wish to simultaneously transcode, divide that total by your per core figure to work out how many cores you need to transcode that number of streams at once. Remember to allow for anything else you will be doing at the same time (downloads, PAR/RAR work, Sonarr/Radarr, Tatulli, Ombi etc.)

Then make better client/media choices so that you don’t need to transcode in the first place.
Thanks, so Gold 6410 has 18 cores and a passmark score of 23964.

Then we can assume that RS2000 G8 would have an score of 5325?

badcop

Blitz 2nd Class
Donor
Thanks, so Gold 6410 has 18 cores and a passmark score of 23964.

Then we can assume that RS2000 G8 would have an score of 5325?
What clients are you running? I'd suggest using the mp4 automator to prevent the need to transcode the same 4 file 4 times. Get your clients to set their s*hit to max and you'll benefit alot.

Reactions: DeadPool

DeadPool

Blitz Sergeant
What clients are you running? I'd suggest using the mp4 automator to prevent the need to transcode the same 4 file 4 times. Get your clients to set their s*hit to max and you'll benefit alot.
ha...indeed that is absolutely true...but how many of us have told, asked BEGGED (lol) the leechers to set to MAX, over and over and over and over again?
(are those everybodys hands i can see waving manically?)...

guys and gals FYI...
they have just released a new batch of VPS PLUS servers.
NOT as good as the plus rs servers from summertime(which sold out in a day or less) but bloody good value for the price.

https://www.netcup-sonderangebote.de/

PEACE.

Last edited:

haagsemark

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
Donor
used a coupon,... sneaky deiteq your getting 10% of my payment each month now hahahha

bretc

Blitz 3rd Class
I read through this a while back but don't remember anyone having an opinion on RS 2000 G8 vs VPS 2000 G8? They're pretty close in price and I know the passmark of the RS should be 5325 as @titooo7 mentioned, but I can't figure out what the passmark on the VPS would be (and also real world values).
I'm going to run usenet at the same time with no more than 2 users simultaneously.

Edit: Found this, but never saw a definitive response.

Not sure if you saw my updated review with a screenshot of my RS2000 G7 and VPS2000 G8....the VPS is clearly better as it has double the cores but they are virtual whereas the RS has dedicated cores.
I guess it depends how you plan to use it....since I use my server occasionally the VPS is great for me and will eventually cancel my RS2000!

Hopefully somebody here has the RS2000 G8 and can give a screenshot Benchmark found in option E, A & A of the PlexGuide menu!;)

Last edited:

neik

Blitz 2nd Class
That shouldn''t be a problem at all. I have a RS1000 myself and already had like 5 simultaneous streams (phone, pc, notebook, android TV - all in the same household) ongoing.

I am wondering where I can find the passmark benchmark and how would I run it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
haagsemark Ultimate Server Quest 0