Deiteq

Administrator
Original poster
Project Manager

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
So, if I got this right then only sharing is the big problem. As I am not sharing there shouldn't be a problem? They probably don't check files on your drive when there are no complains, right?

I also use rclone crypt for my stuff.
Could you clarify a bit what you mean with "covering your backsides"?

Do you have speed problems connecting to Gdrive? What speeds do you get there?
DMCA relies on someone authorised to do so sending a DMCA take down notice to the owner/provider of the hardware the file is hosted on, if you are not making files publically available, then who would know/report them? If you download using torrents then obviously use a VPN (that’s just common sense), or you risk being stung that way by a rights holder (depending on the laws in the country you are based).

To answer the other points, German providers tend to have a have a very strict hosting policy in general, they are risk averse and so things like running adult sites from a German hosting provider are not likely to end well, same with anything else that’s likely to end in unwanted attention. Netcup’s speed policy is already published above (200mbit, throttled back to 10mbit if you average over 80mbit for an hour which seems quite low to me as ‘home’ is 80/20). Speeds are in the benchmarking thread, but if you want no throttling, Hetzner may be a better option as you get shared 10Gbit uplink and 20TB upload bandwidth, you’ll normally see significantly more than 200mbit and not throttled back (I get gigabit+ burst and seem to average 35-65MB/s so 300-500mbit 24/7).

Reactions: electrorad and neik

guzic

Blitz 3rd Class
Not sure if you saw my updated review with a screenshot of my RS2000 G7 and VPS2000 G8....the VPS is clearly better as it has double the cores but they are virtual whereas the RS has dedicated cores.
I guess it depends how you plan to use it....since I use my server occasionally the VPS is great for me and will eventually cancel my RS2000!

Hopefully somebody here has the RS2000 G8 and can give a screenshot Benchmark found in option E, A & A of the PlexGuide menu!;)
@Deiteq here you go...from RS2000 G8.
Got it a few days ago and not sure if i did the right thing...
I am using it just for mounting google drive and streaming files.
To be honest the server is working great, no problem watching 20GB file from gdrive trough PLEX, but I'm still unsure how their 80Mbps / 60 min will work for me.

If I understood it correctly, I can stream max 35GB in one hour before throttling happens. Is this right?

If that is the case, since i use direct play in plex, if i watch a 40GB file then i will go over their average bandwith in one hour?

Attachments

neik

Blitz 2nd Class
I guess your throttling assumption is wrong! In their official (german) forum they tell you that you first have to consume your monthly bandwith (Root Server G8 = 80TB) and only after that the throttle (80mbit/h) kicks in.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

guzic

Blitz 3rd Class
I guess your throttling assumption is wrong! In their official (german) forum they tell you that you first have to consume your monthly bandwith (Root Server G8 = 80TB) and only after that the throttle (80mbit/h) kicks in.
can you provide source for that.
on their german forum i found that if any of the conditions (80TB or 80Mbit/h) is met throttling will kick in.

Samekas

Blitz 3rd Class
I wouldn't recommend netcup to anyone, their are so paranoid about the verification and the cancel terms are so bad.

neik

Blitz 2nd Class
Can't confirm that. Verification took me literally a 3min phone call from their said, which went like "Am I talking to Mr. xyz? Can you confirm your dates please?". That was it!

Compared to Scaleway their server perform way better. I think they're great perf/$-wise

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Can't confirm that. Verification took me literally a 3min phone call from their said, which went like "Am I talking to Mr. xyz? Can you confirm your dates please?". That was it!

Compared to Scaleway their server perform way better. I think they're great perf/$-wise
Problem is with scaleway i believe it's on our it doesn't work list; something to do with their image.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
it's typical euorpe. think its related to the consumer laws
Nope, German providers are very risk averse when it comes to hosting certain things, they have a higher verification requirement usually. That said I set up a new Hetzner account a while back and had zero verification, Myloc wanted a copy of my passport and would only send verification to a German mobile number.

macfreaker

Blitz Sergeant
Backer
UPDATE - 19/05/18: Netcup have upgraded their servers and traffic limits, will update thread soon!!!

Hi all!

If you are like me and looking for a cross between a dedicated server and a vps that's cheap then root servers are the way to go!:)

I've been with Netcup for a few months now granted I was using it as a test server for this project so never fully put it to work as at the time I was using ZX Play (ZX Host) server to run Plex and Emby on.

Now that I got rid of my ZX Play server (due to their mistakes and I don't recommend them I'm sorry to say:() I have started to use my RS 2000 G7 SE 60GB SSD server, it only costs €16.99 per month and I used a discount voucher when I joined which gave me 5% off EDIT: it was actually €5 off my first order....plus you get 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it so might as well!;)
UPDATE: Netcup have upgraded their servers so have updated the images for the new specs!

Netcup.eu version
View attachment 1187
Netcup.de version (cheaper!;))
View attachment 1186

View attachment 1188

There is a VPS option too (see further down for new voucher codes!)
View attachment 1196
If you do decide to try them then go for the SAS drive option as I have found 60GB to be very limiting if you plan to use Plex as well as Usenet.
This is due to Usenet unpacking the downloads and Plex metadata growth!
Update Note: I now have the RS 2000 G7 SE 480GB SAS server and can say that I'm very happy with it, I was only using the 60GB SSD version for testing purposes until the cancellation period has finished!
UPDATE: The new G8 servers have upgraded CPU's and RAM

They do have an average bandwidth of 200Mbit/s which is plenty for my case use although when testing I found I have more than double that!
That said, if you use an average bandwidth over 80Mbit/s for more then 15mins then they may throttle you back so that it doesn't disadvantage other customers!

But if you are using Usenet then downloads run pretty quick so you shouldn't ever hit the limit....and if you are concerned then you can change the settings in sab or nzbget to make sure that you don't go over say 70Mbit/s as the other 10Mbit/s is reserved for the RClone move script.
Update Note: Running torrents with this is not advised, but if you are still keen to use torrents then definitely set the speed limit to 70Mbit/s or lower depending on if you plan to use Plex or Emby a lot!;)
UPDATE: The new G8 Root Servers have a better throttling conditions now where if you use more than 80Mbit/s for more than an hour then they may throttle you back to 10Mbit/s
Old G7 Root Server bandwidth terms
View attachment 1189
New G8 Root Server bandwidth terms
View attachment 1405

So if you are interested in trying them out then you can redeem one of the voucher codes below from here!:D Or here for the pre-translated version but more expensive!
Correction thought it was 5% off the first order but it's actually €5 off, apologies to those I've accidentally misled:oops: but it's a better deal!;)
Here's a list of current available €5 off discount voucher codes to use on anything:-

36nc15293433360 36nc15293433361 36nc15293433362 36nc15293433363
36nc15293433364 36nc15278819169 36nc15278835130 36nc15293433365
36nc15293433366 36nc15293433367 36nc15278835134 36nc15278835135
36nc15293433368 36nc15278835137 36nc15293433369 36nc15278835139
New discount codes for VPS!
Below are 2 codes for each type of VPS on offer, I am currently testing the VPS 2000 G8 and am very happy with it, I am also considering cancelling my RS 2000 G7 as it's snappier and it's unthrottled for the first 80TB per month! 2056nc15294833510

2052nc15285337400 2052nc15285337401 10% rebate VPS 200 G8
2053nc15285334560 2053nc15285334561 10% rebate VPS 500 G8
2054nc15285334550 2054nc15285334551 10% rebate VPS 1000 G8
2056nc15300948240 2056nc15300948241 10% rebate VPS 2000 G8
In my opinion, if you are only planning to use it for testing then try the 200 or 500, but if you want to use it for Plex/Emby then go for the 1000 and if you want to use it for Usenet as well then go for the 2000 (Also, it appears that they charge an hourly rate with the VPS so can be even cheaper for testing or occasional use purposes)!
If none of the voucher codes work then let me know and I'll get some more, I will try to update this list from time to time!;)
View attachment 1404

EDIT: Also for those wanting to use it or any German server as a torrenting machine then make sure that you set up VPN as those companies will follow the law to the letter!:geek:

EDIT 2: When you put in an order they normally call you to confirm you are who you say you are....I did mine in the evening and got called the next day....pretty straight forward.

EDIT 3: You have the right to cancel the contract without reason within 14 days via email, letter or fax. I just cancelled my test RS1000 server via email and I pay my invoices via paypal (I didn't pay my invoice until after cancelling) so got an instant refund that way....Although another member here went for the 12 month contract deal which caused him a headache when trying to cancel, so try it out on a month by month plan first to see if you like it!;)
View attachment 1191
EDIT 4: My set up process for a new Netcup server:-
When you first get your server login details it will have Debian installed automatically on it, so to change it to Ubuntu you need go to you SCP (Server Control Panel) click on Media, then Images and choose Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
View attachment 1192
Then I chose Minimal
View attachment 1193
And finally One Big Partition
View attachment 1194
You may want to also change the VNC Keymap layout, I tend to use Putty but it's a good backup option to use their VNC console!
View attachment 1195
PlexGuide setup - this is the process I use for first run of the Netcup server
First follow along with our Wiki-Guide Protect Your Server and when you finish setting up your SUDO user account add the following 2 lines of code, continue to install PlexGuide and the rest of the security settings!:)
## change language settings for UK english
update-locale LANG="en_GB.UTF8" LANGUAGE="en_GB:en"
## the following code will be set in ~/.bashrc
echo 'LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"' >> ~/.bashrc

EDIT5: Here is a comparison benchmark test between the old G7 RS2000 480GB (RootServer) and the new G8 VPS 2000 160GB:-
View attachment 1343
I have root server RS 2000 G8 but problems with Plex to transcoding.
Do you have this also ?

neik

Blitz 2nd Class
That probably depend on what you want to transcode and how many transcodes you have ongoing.

1080p transcodes shouldn't be a problem, 4k might be.

Try to lower the transcode settings (if possible with Plex, I use Emby)

Reactions: Qlogic and Erico

macfreaker

Blitz Sergeant
Backer
I do normally 1080P and get then the popup "server not strong enough".
Will try 720p.

neik

Blitz 2nd Class
I have a RS 1000 G8 and only transcode 1080 interlaced LiveTV stuff as the FTVS do have issues with certain interlaced videos but in my case the RS 1000 is capable of transcoding 1 LiveTV stream without issues and keeps up quite good.

All the other stuff 1080p I do direct play as I keep the files in a streamable format.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
haagsemark Ultimate Server Quest 0