What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Netcup + Gsuite plex buffering

Wisem2540

FreeLancer
Hey all,

I am very new to PG. I have had my Netcup root server for about a month now. I am using an unllimited gsuite teamdrive config for storage. When playing 1080p movies at original quality, I get almost constant plex buffering.

I used to think this was due to Disk IO issues when I was acquiring a ton of media at once. That has slowed down considerably and its still happening. Even when plex is set to 4MB 720p, I still get some pixelation and stuttering.

I have ruled out device and network issues by switching to a friend's plex server and playing a title at a similar bitrate with no issues. Even when starting the movie, the initial buffer was considerably faster on the friend's plex server than on my root server.

As I said, I am very new to PG, so I suspect I have a cache setting, or something somewhere that I can optimize. I basically installed PG, set up the dockers and storage links and that was all. Any direction here would be very appreciated

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
It very well could be the server. I haven't heard the best about netcup except prices. You should try a server with hetzner (you can get a refund). I never have problems with them. Unless you have a second box, you'll be unsure if it's the server. You can also run a hetzner.cloud server instance (cheap) to test. Finally, you can test a home virtual machine as a free test route.

Wisem2540

FreeLancer
It very well could be the server. I haven't heard the best about netcup except prices. You should try a server with hetzner (you can get a refund). I never have problems with them. Unless you have a second box, you'll be unsure if it's the server. You can also run a hetzner.cloud server instance (cheap) to test. Finally, you can test a home virtual machine as a free test route.
Netcup isnt exactly cheap for a root server. I just paid 22 EURO for this month. How easy is it to move my PG config from one server to another? I really do not want to have to redo all of the configs. Especially my plex DB. Well, actually, the plex stuff is docker-based. That should be easy enough. What about the gsuite configs?

Last edited:

eclipseserena

Netcup isnt exactly cheap for a root server. I just paid 22 EURO for this month. How easy is it to move my PG config from one server to another? I really do not want to have to redo all of the configs. Especially my plex DB. Well, actually, the plex stuff is docker-based. That should be easy enough. What about the gsuite configs?
I'd say 22 euro is cheap.. I bet most of us are paying upwards of 40...

It's easy to backup and restore you blitz install, use pgvault.

Finally are you transcoding or direct playing... as thay can be a big difference, and what are your vfs settings?

Wisem2540

FreeLancer

Finally are you transcoding or direct playing... as thay can be a big difference, and what are your vfs settings?
ive tried the direct play and transcode, actually Transcode seems to work better most of the time. So it leads me down the path of a bandwidth issue rather than a CPU issue.

Can you explain what VFS settings you are referring to? Id be glad to provide you with any settings that could help with this.

eclipseserena

ive tried the direct play and transcode, actually Transcode seems to work better most of the time. So it leads me down the path of a bandwidth issue rather than a CPU issue.

Can you explain what VFS settings you are referring to? Id be glad to provide you with any settings that could help with this.
Option 4,1,S

pooch

I had similar issues with the root servers, not quite sure why, I had the one with 2 dedi cores. Switched over to the 4 shared core VPS and have had better performance.

Wisem2540

FreeLancer

see attached.

Attachments

astroshare

Donor
It could also be network peering, since you are in the US. Have you tried cloudflare? I've been using a netcup rootserver for the last month with no issues. I can even directplay 4K video with no buffering and have had 4 x 1080p transcodes at once with no hiccups. I did go with the RS 4000 SAS (6 cores 32GB and SAS drive) for 22.99 eu

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
It could also be network peering, since you are in the US. Have you tried cloudflare? I've been using a netcup rootserver for the last month with no issues. I can even directplay 4K video with no buffering and have had 4 x 1080p transcodes at once with no hiccups. I did go with the RS 4000 SAS (6 cores 32GB and SAS drive) for 22.99 eu
true

Wisem2540

FreeLancer
Truthfully, I am new to PG and VPS. Is Cloudflare a replacement for Gsuite or just an additional layer? I did some quick google searching and it is not clear.

Can someone give me a basic Idea of what a CDN does? And what is the cost?

Thanks

vFlagR

Respected Member
Staff
I'm interested to know if these issues ever cleared up. I was contemplating replacing my Hetzner server for a Netcup dedi this month as I can get a similar spec (apart from Hard Drive size) for £25 less per month from Netcup. My current Hertzner server has never had an issue with 4k/1080p transcoding and direct play so It'd be good to know if Netcups network peering isn't up to it.

(I'm based in the UK, baring in mind so I have a feeling my peering will be better)

jackd

I use a netcup RS 2000 server and dont have any issues tonight or generally, but i do run a separate feed server, as you only get 4 dedicated cores and 16gb of ram so when your news software starts to uncompress newgroup files the cpu usage goes up high and does cause issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.