What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Discussion Moving to docker swarm

armsby

Staff
As this project grows and more features are added, it might be an idea to start using docker in swarm mode, that way you can create a stack for each menu item, and also move some containers to services, but the main motivation for this idea is that with a docker swarm I could put components on different hosts, so your chance of hitting cloud traffic limits are smaller, if the host used for downloading has reached the limit you can still use plex/emby

Clownfused

Sponsor
There is already a project that is similar to Plexguide that uses Docker Swarm:

https://geek-cookbook.funkypenguin.co.nz

The resources required are substantial compared to Plexguide. I'd wager that for most people a docker swarm (3 nodes) is overkill and most people won't be bothered with the cost and learning curve.

But for some it makes sense to use docker swarm. Most people though are more likely to use a setup like Plexguide.

Both projects have their pros and cons. Pick whatever floats your boat. Although, I really hope water floats your boat.

armsby

Staff
You done need 3 nodes, you can run docker swarm with only 1 just as normal, you need consensus between masters that is why a lot of people think you will need 3, but 1, 3, 5 and so one, are needed for masters, so you can have 1 master and 1 worker node, in that a case you will have 2 host running containers, 1 powerful for the plex/emby server and 1 for the rest that does not really need to much hardware.

Resource wise if we are talking hardware, are the same you just get the options to add multiple hosts, and if you add 3 you will have 3 masters.

But I do see when you mean, but please don't discard it with the reason that it requires to many resources (as in hardware nodes) as this would give flexibility as the project grows

armsby

Staff
That is correct, but there is with 2 nodes as download would not interfere with streaming, and there is no disadvantage with only 1 node

Last edited:

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
But clownbased is correct in a sense. From a PMP standpoint, the question is do we study to improve PG or go about a way that only 1 percent of users would utilize. That’s what’s meant :p

armsby

Staff
I do agree, I and currently I don't have any need for it, I was just playing around with it, and could see some possibilities in separating the application stack in to easy contained modules, both for easy of use and for security.

The suggestion was also to see if anybody else beside me could see any need for it, is so I hope they will add a comment here, as you are right if only 1% would use it, it is not worth the development time.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

WSinclair

Donor
The suggestion was also to see if anybody else besides me could see any need for it, is so I hope they will add a comment here...
Perhaps I can chime in as the anybody else:LOL:.

It appears at first glance this setup with docker swarm will be useful for those of us that use say a seedbox-like-server with a sizable amount of space ( :cool: be a good netizen and seed :cool:). We then have certain containers like Deluge in the seedbox and Plex and other apps in say a home server.

At present, I am in the circumstance of downloading essentially a one 1 TB torrent:eek:. Having no space for such a creature, I decided it best to do that torrent on a separate machine. Plexguide has been a Godsend in helping me overcome the GDrive limitation.

As armsby said (assuming I read him correctly and know how programs like Plex function), this will help with the upload as we will not have two programs (torrent and Plex vying for the same resources.

armsby

Staff
That is one of the major points, also when running as a swarm if 1 server stops working the rest will take over, I know that I am a bit crazy (or that is what the wife says) when I have 3 enterprise server running in my home lab along with storage, but it is there and swarm mode would help as other things are also running there :)

But yes if it was running as a swarm you could manage you GCE Feeder and and your Plex server running at Hetzner and what ever people want, from the same portainer.

Nightshade

the main motivation for this idea is that with a docker swarm I could put components on different hosts
The option would be handy as well for access to a running redis instance or database remotely.
Also for memory-heavy components of a stack, to leave more for PG on your main if you have several mid-range servers.

artiume

I run my setup in swarm mode. My r710 is my plex box and I run my support services/media on odroid-hc2 nodes.

Since PG is already in ansible, it's quite feasible to make PG swarm aware. There's a lot of complicated situations to consider and there's benefits to swarm mode.

I can roll a service with minimal interruption. if I want to update a service, it can be setup to start up a new container, and once it's stable, it'll drop the old one. If I need grab a lot of nzbs, I can set the service to 2, a new container pops up and now I have two seed boxes.

Most days I'm just pulling my hair though haha

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.