Mac Plex server, Plexdrive setup help needed.

Bokito-38

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
Hi All,

I've got a MacMini 2012 2.6Ghz/16GB ram and SSD running as a plex server just fine for a little while.
I've got a spare gdrive unlimited account, and would like to use it with plexrive.

I'm running MacOS High Sierra Server 10.13.6, and Im little confused on how to install plexdrive.
I hope somebody here can help me out.

I cam acros this link from github :
https://github.com/dweidenfeld/plexdrive
https://github.com/dweidenfeld/plexdrive/releases

But so far I can only find Linux builds, and no MacOS builds, I think some linux 64Bit versions should also run on MacOS ?
But how can I install it ?
I Suppose this is terminal work.. ?

I have already installed FUSE for MacOS.
I suppose Plexdrive does support MacOS, since it states in release 5.0.0 MacOS playback issue bugfix.

I hope somebody can help me out, thanks in advance !

Bokito-38

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
i've looked into it, but cannot figure out as of yet how to run or install this precomplied plexdrive version for MacOS.
I recently installed homebrew for macOS, I think I have to run it maybe trough homebrew ?

But I cannot find a way as of yet, on how to run or install it on my Mac.
Maybe somebody here has got experience with MacOS and plexdrive ?

I found this post online : https://github.com/dweidenfeld/plexdrive/issues/316
Maybe it can help MacOS users out there.. ?

overlogging

Blitz Noob
That's - roughly - what I do.

I eventually gave up on trying to run the encryption natively under macOS and decided to go the virtual route.

Using Parallels Desktop, I'm running Ubuntu with 2 GB of RAM and 512 GB of storage.

Has enough umph to run NZBGet, Sonarr and Radarr.

/mnt is shared via Samba.

As for Plex server, I employ an Nvidia Shield.

Runs 4K Remux'ed Blu-Rays like a charm.

Manage to stream two 4K Remuxes plus one 1080p file simultaneously.

On a 40+ Mb upstream connection, I have set the bandwidth limit for uploading to Drive to 20.

Chuckling along merrily.

Heads up: Most 4K Remux versions feature a DD.5.1 "compatibility" audio track in addition to DTS or Atmos. If using an Apple TV as Plex client for a Shield Server, select that one. Reason: On the Shield, there is no hardware transcoding for DTS/Atmos to DD. It will stutter. For Plex Client on the Shield, there's no such problem.

Bottom line:
  • Virtual Ubuntu with PlexGuide does act like a NAS, serving local network access to the encrypted unlimited GDrive
  • plus it automatically downloads new movies/tv shows
  • Plex server on Shield does all the transcoding necessary

Last edited:
Reactions: fr0sty

Bokito-38

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
thanks for your help guys.

I was thinking can't i just get it working withouth a VM or docker container.. ?
And just run Rclone with cache to link to my plex server running on MacOS..?

So i installed homebrew for macos, and rclone and stuff, and used the following toturial :

But i must have done something wrong here, since the folder does does not mount or link to my gdrive account.
For example when i place a file in the directiry that is linked to rclone crypt, gdrive does not see the file..

I hope somebody can help me out, thanks so far !

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Development Donations

Trending