What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Discussion is Quadro supported from the install

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

shiromar

Blitz 3rd Class
title basically,

Is nividia-docker2 setup from the plexguide install. Or from a new installation what needs to be done for a Quadro GPU to handle transcodes aside from installing drivers.

hooper

Blitz Samurai
Staff
Donor
Are you a plexpass subscriber? that is a requirement.

what nvidia card do you have? have you followed the basic HW transcoding setup? some basic steps are here https://plexguide.com/wikis/plex-hw/. I realize these steps are regarding intel HW, but much still applies if using nvidia.

What problems are you running into?

shiromar

Blitz 3rd Class
I am Plex Pass subscriber. This is for a new build where a Quadro p4000 will be used.

Though it doesn't say it, I think that link you posted is for Intel quicksync? I will be using Skylake W Xeon Don quicksync won't be an option. I want to be able to use the Quadro p4000 for hw transcoding.

https://github.com/NVIDIA/nvidia-docker

Edit: I see that the link posted was for CPUs with integrated graphics not quicksync. Even in that case the CPU I'm using doesn't have either and I wish for hw transcoding to be done by Quadro.

Last edited:

hooper

Blitz Samurai
Staff
Donor
I am Plex Pass subscriber. This is for a new build where a Quadro p4000 will be used.

Though it doesn't say it, I think that link you posted is for Intel quicksync? I will be using Skylake W Xeon Don quicksync won't be an option. I want to be able to use the Quadro p4000 for hw transcoding.

https://github.com/NVIDIA/nvidia-docker

Edit: I see that the link posted was for CPUs with integrated graphics not quicksync. Even in that case the CPU I'm using doesn't have either and I wish for hw transcoding to be done by Quadro.
yes the link i posted was specific to Intel on hetzner, but some of the basic steps still apply. I don't think many people go this route since Plex doesn't support Nvidia HW for decode, but only for HW encode.

This thread on the Plex forums is probably your best bet for support on this topic https://forums.plex.tv/t/how-to-setup-nvidia-hw-acceleration-in-ubuntu-docker/288625/15

shiromar

Blitz 3rd Class
Just to be sure I tested out a i7-4790k and sure enough quicksync was not working. I tried the work around to expose that layer to docker and it started working. Now with the quadro workaround I did get that to work, however it seems PG will overwrite the custom docker create file on version update.

owell, guess ill have to do a custom k8s.

hooper

Blitz Samurai
Staff
Donor
the system you are going to use the Quadro in, does that support Quicksync? if so, I would just wait on better support from Plex for Nvidia and not go through all the hassle of building your own container for use with PG. Use quicksync for now.

There is HW decode support yet for the Nvidia GPU. Intel has both Enc/Dec support and it works great with a relatively new CPU. I don't feel the Nvidia part is worth using with plex yet, especially with so many HEVC encodes out there. HEVC takes a huge amount of CPU to transcode without HW enc feature.

See https://forums.plex.tv/t/why-cant-i-do-hardware-accelerated-decoding-cuvid-with-nvidia-hardware/332698 for really in-depth discussion of this issue.

Last edited:

shiromar

Blitz 3rd Class
That guys setup is the same as mine. No quicksync only a Xeon w-2155. Good link, I'll have to watch their progress thanks.

Sn0wed

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
title basically,

Is nividia-docker2 setup from the plexguide install. Or from a new installation what needs to be done for a Quadro GPU to handle transcodes aside from installing drivers.
The version of Docker that PlexGuide installs is not supported by the Nvidia drivers. If you try to install the drivers it will give you the error

nvidia-docker2 : Depends: docker-ce (= 5:18.09.0~3-0~ubuntu-bionic) but 18.06.0~ce~3-0~ubuntu is to be installed or docker-ee (= 5:18.09.0~3-0~ubuntu-bionic) but it is not installable

Oh, I think that makes my choices a lot simpler then.
UPDATE

I managed to install the Nvidia drivers to the Docker environment. I was using an outdated version of Docker (1.38) when I updated to the latest (1.39) the install went smoothly. Now I need to find the correct container settings for plex. I will update this post when I get it working. So far I have run the container as privileged and changed the runtime to Nvidia.

Last edited:

nachobel

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Donor
Any updates to this? I can’t install the nvidia-docker2 container because it says I need a different version of docker.

nachobel

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Donor
That thread was interesting, looks like HW Decode is coming soon™, but it appears encoding is working in Docker, yeah? I can't seem to figure out how to make it happen.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Encode support just needs the Nvidia docker installed and variables added to a Plex docker build afaik (I’m mid way through changing my Plex set-up and waiting for additional hardware to arrive).

This may be useful:

The other option is to bare metal the Plex install as NVENC will work without additional work bare metal, which is what i did when I tested my 980GTX, sadly it lacked HEVC/H.265 capabilities and required driver patching.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Development Donations

Top NZB NewsGroups!

Members - Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending