IPTV with plex?

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
A lot of the bundled P4S providers (Plex and IPTV) use Plex, issue is epg, or rather lack of, emby is superior in this respect. Method depends on how you source the content, via your own tuners or an IPTV provider, a lot of the resellers are beyond clueless, a load more are cowboys, a few are decent.

Last edited:

Miguel

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Donor
Could be done, either with a tvheadend container which would take your IPTV m3u url and load up all the channels, then a docker with tvhProxy or Antenna which takes the signal from tvheadend and emulates a hdhomerun, you can then add the DVR into plex and use the xmltv epg url within plex.

Another very recent option is just a single docker with Telly which does both of the above.

I've had a play about with it the last few days, Telly wasn't too reliable so i'm going to give tvheadend another go. Just waiting for some spare time next week.

Reactions: SirTranceALoT

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Could be done, either with a tvheadend container which would take your IPTV m3u url and load up all the channels, then a docker with tvhProxy or Antenna which takes the signal from tvheadend and emulates a hdhomerun, you can then add the DVR into plex and use the xmltv epg url within plex.

Another very recent option is just a single docker with Telly which does both of the above.

I've had a play about with it the last few days, Telly wasn't too reliable so i'm going to give tvheadend another go. Just waiting for some spare time next week.
If you guys figure this out, can push it to plexguide :D

Miguel

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Donor
Happily! I've actually had it working already using Telly and a 48 hour IPTV trial but it was very hit and miss on what channels worked so still need to investigate more to get it working reliably.

Step 1) Get it working
Step 2 ) Work out how the f you push things to github.

Reactions: MrDoob and FeralF

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Happily! I've actually had it working already using Telly and a 48 hour IPTV trial but it was very hit and miss on what channels worked so still need to investigate more to get it working reliably.

Step 1) Get it working
Step 2 ) Work out how the f you push things to github.
If you do, we'll help assist. I haven't done a push to a main project via someone else, probably not hard but u know how well do it. Someone just added pyload to our project (with full credit via info and changelog); but it's really about just giving to the community :D

kingofsnake74

Blitz Noob
tried a few things on my synology ds218+. Webtools and iptv package on plex. Works but hd stremas failed with a transcoder problem (100% processor usage). So tried tv headend 4.2.5 with the latest the jf/antennas in docker all up and running, but implementation on plex Version 1.12.0.4829 (live tv and dvr with plex pass) didn't went well. sometimes it picked up the channels, but at the end it didn't hold up, error no device discovered And had to install again. Anyone better experiences?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
tried a few things on my synology ds218+. Webtools and iptv package on plex. Works but hd stremas failed with a transcoder problem (100% processor usage). So tried tv headend 4.2.5 with the latest the jf/antennas in docker all up and running, but implementation on plex Version 1.12.0.4829 (live tv and dvr with plex pass) didn't went well. sometimes it picked up the channels, but at the end it didn't hold up, error no device discovered And had to install again. Anyone better experiences?
i knew a few people use IPTV, i haven't. I have an ansible role for telly if you ever want to test!

Miguel

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Donor
Telly is a pain in the a** to get working on a cloud/dedicated server. I can only recommend using telly if you're running a/your PG server at home.

apdqueen

Blitz 1st Class
I've successfully got Telly working on my server (cloud based). I didn't realise there was an ansible role for it so installed it all manually. Seemed to work ok, but getting the EPG to match up was a pain in the a****. So much so that I just could't be bothered with it for now. I only tend to have a IPTV during the football season, so will look again in a month or so!

Miguel

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Donor
I've successfully got Telly working on my server (cloud based). I didn't realise there was an ansible role for it so installed it all manually. Seemed to work ok, but getting the EPG to match up was a pain in the a****. So much so that I just could't be bothered with it for now. I only tend to have a IPTV during the football season, so will look again in a month or so!
Which provider is your server and your IPTV sub with?
The epg matching is deffo a massive ballache, you learn to just match the channels you're definitly going to watch.

apdqueen

Blitz 1st Class
Which provider is your server and your IPTV sub with?
The epg matching is deffo a massive ballache, you learn to just match the channels you're definitly going to watch.
For my server, netCup. Pretty reliable so far. IPTV is Superior Hosting. Think they are a reseller. Been pretty good to date. Haven't had to rely on a VPN for 3PM matches yet. But I'm sure that will change going forward.

One issue I've found is that upon doing a Plexguide update, the Telly setup stops working in Plex. Seems containers get a new IP each time they are rebuilt or sometimes on a restart, so I have to go through the pain of setting it all up again.

But when it works it is OK. Managed to record a few matches and they recorded ok which I was pleasently surprised with!

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Miguel

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
Donor
For my server, netCup. Pretty reliable so far. IPTV is Superior Hosting. Think they are a reseller. Been pretty good to date. Haven't had to rely on a VPN for 3PM matches yet. But I'm sure that will change going forward.

One issue I've found is that upon doing a Plexguide update, the Telly setup stops working in Plex. Seems containers get a new IP each time they are rebuilt or sometimes on a restart, so I have to go through the pain of setting it all up again.

But when it works it is OK. Managed to record a few matches and they recorded ok which I was pleasently surprised with!
Thanks for the info! People have struggled with most iptv providers blocking dedi server companies, so it helps to know here are some iptv providers who aren't blocking them.

P, s for your telly/ip issue, just use the ip 172.17.0.1 instead of the specific telly IP

Reactions: Admin9705

dishjuarez

Blitz 1st Class

i cant find IPTV Superior Hosting...

Raidalot

Blitz 3rd Class
telly has a option for -useregex .*UK.* for example.
if you have a huge playlist of over 1000 chanels plex will not work.
you need the -userregex and the country you want to add to plex.
Plex will only read 600 channels most or crash.
Can you please add the option for useregex in the telly option please. Pretty please.
Or is there a way to edit the docker to add that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.