What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Intel NUC 8 i5 8259U as PGBlitz home server?

denzel

Donor
Hello everyone,

I'm using Plexguide so far on a root server with G Suite but I consider replacing it with a home server as I got a Gigabit glass fiber connection (~900Mbos up and download).
I want something kind of small, so I thought about an Intel NUC 8 i5 (NUC8i5BEK2 with i5-8259U (4x 2.3GHz)).
As SSD I thought about the Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB and for the RAM G.Skill Aegis DIMM Kit 16GB DDR4-3000.

1. Do you think this would fit as a home server for Plex and to encode 1080p?
2. Or would you recommend something else?
3. Do you have experience how loud and warm these ones become? It should stay in the living room like next to the TV.
4. Is it also possible to use plex local from home and over the internet when I'm traveling?

I also would use it as a home NAS, so I would provide my GSuite storage with it and also do my backups with duplicati or something similar.

Thank you for your opinion and best regards

axlrod

It can heat up but when the fan kicks off it is less noisy than an average laptop. Look for refurbished units as they can often be had for $350 or so. I have an i7 version that I was going to set up as my local PlexGuide but I ended up repurposing it as my desktop. Will likely get another as a local PlexGuide server. The i7 does 1080p just fine and I imagine the i5 would as well.

As for remotely accessing it, as long as you have upon or map the right port through your router for plex you can access it from anywhere. It can also help to use a dynamic ip like duckdns or even better Cloudflare if you want to control the services remotely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Development Donations

Top NZB NewsGroups!

Members - Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors