What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Discussion I Just got shut down by spectrum

Watty

PG Version
Mount Type
Blitz Unencrypted
Server Type
Local - Dedicated Server
HI,
This is just an advisory. I've been using torrenting containers for a few months now. the cable company just showed up at my house and said stop or we will bring the police out here. they found me because of the amount of data being uploaded to google. This is just a heads up be careful.

If this is in the wrong place please move

Last edited by a moderator:

Xployt

How much data did you put up?
Seems like your rules are a bit too strict over there!

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Ya torrenting is not wise. Def on a home server and vpns can leak. Usenet is a better way to go. The uploading to google is not the problem, it’s the sharing of content. Also your von provider could have your turned over your info.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Again, torrents are what helps point to you and the vpn provider probably turned over your info. Who was your provider for the vpn? Typically your provider would have also notified what you did exactly instead of just tossing the amount of data uploaded. Also they have procedures typically in strike warnings.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager

gadgethome

Donor
I use usenet and never had issues. When I do need to use a torrent, I use a cloudbase solution such as bitport. I got a 2 year deal for about $48.

Xployt

17TB of data in 6 months, that is nothing. I don't see why they're complaining about the data itself. Try switching VPN providers. One which doesn't have DNS leak reports and one that you pay for! To see if that makes a difference.

@Admin9705 Why would you not trust Nord? Not saying I'm with them....I am....I'm totally with them haha!!

hooper

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
do you use encrypted remote in rclone? if not, then that is what is flagging you and it is definitely the traffic to google.

use VPN for torrents, use encrypted remote for google. if you don't then you run into these problems.

beats

Staff
do you use encrypted remote in rclone? if not, then that is what is flagging you and it is definitely the traffic to google.

use VPN for torrents, use encrypted remote for google. if you don't then you run into these problems.
Unless google is reporting them no it wont, they must be using DPI to see domains active and encrypted mode wont make a difference as the traffic will still flow to google. They cant see what you are doing on google domains due to basic things like https.

Watty

I talked to a friend of mine that works for spectrum and he looked into it. I was uploading and downloading so much i was using most of the allotted bandwidth for my neighborhood and messing up other peoples internet and tv. I never used torrents. The only reason they thought i was using torrents was because they saw i had a server next to the modem. My friend said they initially thought i was bitcoin mining which is not allowed on a home account. They sold me gigabit Internet and could not keep up with my usage. i'm the first and only person with it in the county with it. I'm going to move everything to the cloud and go back to dsl.

Last edited:

Zippy

Staff
Don't see why Spectrum would care if you're uploading a lot, like others have pointed out it seems that your torrenting may have leaked and lead to some copyright notices. ISP's do not have the time and resources to randomly launch investigations into their clients without any tips such as a copyright notice.

hooper

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
but i never used torrents and never got a dmca notice
your first message states you used torrenting containers. now you say you don't.

One way you run into problems is using torrents across non-vpn connections. You dramatically increase risk by using public torrent sites like rarbg and piratebay.

Per spectrum's copyright violations FAQ (https://www.spectrum.net/support/general/copyright-infringement-topics) they will only act if they receive a DMCA or RIAA or MPAA subpoena. You should have gotten notices if this is the case.

I suppose another way you run into an issue is by exceeding your monthly upload quota. I am guessing 17TB in 6 months exceeds whatever quota your account is allocated and Spectrum investigated your IP to see what you are doing. Per Spectrum's TOS/Policies they will do some detailed investigation if you violate the TOS.

from https://www.spectrum.com/policies/residential-terms.html

7. Enforcement. Spectrum reserves the right to investigate violations of this AUP, including the gathering of information from the Subscriber or other Users involved and the complaining party, if any, and the examination of material on Spectrum's servers and network. Spectrum prefers to advise Users of AUP violations and any necessary corrective action but, if Spectrum, in its sole discretion, determines that a User has violated the AUP, Spectrum will take any responsive action that is deemed appropriate without prior notification. Such action includes but is not limited to: temporary suspension of service, reduction of service resources, and termination of service. Spectrum is not liable for any such responsive action and these actions are not exclusive. Spectrum may take any other legal or technical action it deems appropriate.

Coming to your house to confront you on this is bizarre though. YOu are certain these were actual Spectrum employees? did they give you some kind of written notice when they visited you? This sort of interaction doesn't make sense, because 17TB in 6 months is not a huge amount and making a call to your house is an expensive operation. Their policies actually specify that you would get a postcard or email if you were in violation. Did they request other information from you? did you divulge any PII to these people?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.