What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

How to arrange HDD for optimal performance?

kenzo86

Hi guys, I am thinking of upgrading from a 2x 2tb HDD (Raid 0) with processing to /mnt --> to 2 x 512 GB NVMe SSD.
At present, the system slows down significantly if it is unpacking / repairing

My question is, how should i set up these 2 NVMe drives for optimal performance, keeping in mind that i will be using nzbget, sonarr, radarr, and rutorrent?

Thanks!

captains1stm8

I have the same setup in raid 0 with excellent performance. 25 users, ~7-9 concurrent transcoding streams. I do have a 1.5TB spindle setup for downloading and moves directory, but with the performance I get out of the nvmes, I have no doubt Without it I’d still get great performance. I just wanted a larger buffer of space for when there’s contention between downloading and uploading, when recline has a hiccup, etc. Just make sure if you go with raid 0, that you have solid backups. Of course, if you’re using cloud storage for your media, and you don’t mind having to rebuild, you don’t really have to worry about that.

kenzo86

I have the same setup in raid 0 with excellent performance. 25 users, ~7-9 concurrent transcoding streams. I do have a 1.5TB spindle setup for downloading and moves directory, but with the performance I get out of the nvmes, I have no doubt Without it I’d still get great performance. I just wanted a larger buffer of space for when there’s contention between downloading and uploading, when recline has a hiccup, etc. Just make sure if you go with raid 0, that you have solid backups. Of course, if you’re using cloud storage for your media, and you don’t mind having to rebuild, you don’t really have to worry about that.

Thanks for replying.
Not too sure why my system slows down during nzbget processing. With RAID0, is there anyway of pointing processing folder to the 2nd physical drive?

artiume

Yeah, you shouldn't use hdd's for unpacking and repairing nzb's.

So once you get the new ssd's online, rerun the PG setup and point the second processing disk option to the new disks.

captains1stm8

Yeah, you shouldn't use hdd's for unpacking and repairing nzb's.

So once you get the new ssd's online, rerun the PG setup and point the second processing disk option to the new disks.
What’s the issue with using a separate disk for downloading/processing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.