What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Hetzner's Cloud Server

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
So do you want to run a test-development server before committing to a major project or deploying PlexGuide?
Note: This is not a promotion article. I truly utilize Hetzner for development testing and is useful for new users without remote servers!

Major Advantage of Utilizing Hetzner's Cloud:
  • Receive your own Dedicated IP Address
  • Create SNAPSHOTS, like VMWare. Basically, you can go back in time very easily.
  • Easy to use backup function
  • Only utilizes SSD (prevents the use of slow hard drives)
  • Cheap Prices
  • Pay by the hour (ensure you turn off your server when done)
  • 20TB monthly bandwidth
  • (Euro Customers) You pay in Euro, so prices are steady
  • Prices are great for testing in development
  • Console is simple and easy to use
  • Can deploy multiple servers or even from another snapshot you created
  • Can pay with your card, bank, or via pay pal
  • Can upgrade / downgrade cloud server specs on demand
  • Can use a flex-ip to access multiple servers (have not tested yet)
  • (Non-EU Customers) No VAT Tax
  • Fast deployment of any image (takes under 3 minutes) and you do not have to wait for days
  • Does not have the same handicaps that most linux vps have
  • Root Access
Major Disadvantage of Utilizing Hetzner's Cloud:
  • Prices are high for use as a DEDICATED PLEX Server (for many users) due to lower amounts amount of disk space
  • Snapshots can become costly if used excessively
  • Diskspace low for real use, unless paying for the higher end version such as CX41 and CX51
  • (US & Global Customers) You pay against the Euro, so price are unsteady
  • Limited in building certain server types
View attachment 94 View attachment 95
Prices & Console VIew (Click To View a Larger Image)
In conclusion, if you need to deploy a testing development server, a limited PLEX Server, or download box; go with Hetzner. Their prices are much cheaper compared to OVH and other cloud providers. If you have any experiences in using their cloud server or have recommendations for other's please post below and let us know.

Last edited:

kalyway

Donor
Great all around for the price you get, however, I wouldn't be able to recommend this for Plex. Techinically, it CAN work, but that doesn't mean that you're supposed to use it to transcode things...

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Great all around for the price you get, however, I wouldn't be able to recommend this for Plex. Techinically, it CAN work, but that doesn't mean that you're supposed to use it to transcode things...
Ya, maybe light plex... but good for testing and development. I was able tons of checks and restore snapshots. Can't do on VM because i need the dedicated ip, plus VMs have different actions at times.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Depends on what they class as a vCore, over the years i’ve had everything from a physical core on older hardware, to the performance equivalent of a random CPU core. See what sort of performances you get per core before deciding if it’s a decent Plex option, though technically you should be direct playing most things anyway (subs excluded).

guml

Donor
i am also on hetzner and really happy but i got an abuse message because the SSDP (Port 1900/UPD) is open - how can i close this port or can i ignore that message?

thanks

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
i am also on hetzner and really happy but i got an abuse message because the SSDP (Port 1900/UPD) is open - how can i close this port or can i ignore that message?

thanks
Ya I did too. I’ll write them about it.

stammbraeu

Respected Member
Donor
Hi - i just got the same message
How to proceed?

Do i have to take care of it - to be honest i s*hit my self when i received the email ;-)

All the best
Stammbraeu

---- Automatically Merged Double Post ----

i deactivated the DNLA server to be on the safe(r) side - anything else i have to do?

Last edited:

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Hi - i just got the same message
How to proceed?

Do i have to take care of it - to be honest i s*hit my self when i received the email ;-)

All the best
Stammbraeu

---- Automatically Merged Double Post ----

i deactivated the DNLA server to be on the safe(r) side - anything else i have to do?
i ignore it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Development Donations

Top NZB NewsGroups!

Members - Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors