Discussion Hetzner sever

Spoonsy1480

Blitz Samurai
Original poster
I have a auction server at the moment with a e3-1245 and 16gb of ram, I’m having trouble with radarr and sonarr not loading very quick it was fine when I was using gce but just got charged £100 from google so I must have done something wrong, so I’m just going to use my dedi, the options I’m looking at are
Changing auction for a e3-1245 v2
With 32gb of ram would this be better for hardware transcoding as my 1245 isn’t very good or should I get An ex42 nvme with a i7 6700 with 64gb of ram
Also I’m in the uk does it make a lot of difference if I use Helsinki instead of Germany as Helsinki is cheaper

it-junkiez

Blitz 3rd Class
I dont know what your monthly budget is but im with hetzner and went for one of the EX42-NVME

I'm in the UK too and picked the Helsinki datacentre.

It's about 40 euros a month and has an i7 7700 (although 6600 is advertised) / 64GB Ram and 2x 512GB NVME Drives which i've softraided into 1 1TB NVME parition.

Extract time is so quick and the server has loads of resources for transcoding and everything else

Maybe worth a shot?

Maslygan

Blitz 1st Class
Donor
Oh thats not bad. maybe i should upgrade from my 1246v3 to this instead. currently i have 32gb ram, 2x2tb HDD, for 36euros, so its a nice upgrade for not much extra. i live in Denmark, so either place shouldnt be a problem

Reactions: it-junkiez

Maslygan

Blitz 1st Class
Donor
Did you pay for setup fee?

it-junkiez

Blitz 3rd Class
I havent as of yet. but once the billing period comes round i'm assuming there will be a setup fee there. but it's well worth it!

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Spoonsy1480

Blitz Samurai
Original poster
What are the upload and download speeds on that Helsinki datacenter. I tried a falkenstien 1 and i was only getting 700 max mostly 300 up and down running Debian 9. I like the ex42 a lot it’s just the setup fee

MrDoob

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Here that's the upload and download speed simultan! Full GB

EX-42 : HEL1-DC2

Spoonsy1480

Blitz Samurai
Original poster
To be honest I have no idea what I'm looking at really why does it go down to 12 19 Mbit/s

MrDoob

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
1.) sudo apt-get install ethtools
2.) ifconfig
3.) find enp0s**** in ifconfig
4.) ethtool -K <use the name of the enp?> tso off tx of
5.) Have fun

Reactions: virtunic

timekills

Blitz Samurai
Staff
Donor
I have a auction server at the moment with a e3-1245 and 16gb of ram, I’m having trouble with radarr and sonarr not loading very quick it was fine when I was using gce but just got charged £100 from google so I must have done something wrong, so I’m just going to use my dedi, the options I’m looking at are
Changing auction for a e3-1245 v2
With 32gb of ram would this be better for hardware transcoding as my 1245 isn’t very good or should I get An ex42 nvme with a i7 6700 with 64gb of ram
Also I’m in the uk does it make a lot of difference if I use Helsinki instead of Germany as Helsinki is cheaper
I have a very similar Hetzner machine (1246 v3) albeit with 32 GB of RAM running all my downloading/uploading and monitoring apps as well as an instance of Plex.
Both your and my machine are capable of hardware encoding although the quality isn't great.
Concur that the EX42 with either the advertised 6700 or a 7700 and NVME drives will be both better and faster for Plex, and the extra memory will certainly help with multiple Docker enclosures. However you're sacrificing significant initial/local storage for the processing and uploading of files.

I'll add that my 1246v3 performs very quickly and I'm very happy with it. The only reason I'm running and additional EX-61 is because I wanted a Plex server with the ability to natively perform hadrware transcoding of h264, h265 and HDR/10bit video. I've had no issues with the 1246v3 doing multiple transcodes and 100+ downloads through SAB, along with Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr, Ombi, Tautulli, Monitorr, Organizr, NZBHydra and other containers running simultaneously.

Sounds like your system has other issues - and the "fine" to Google? What's that about?

kingelk

Blitz 2nd Class
im thinking of upgrading to this. Currently running a auction server i3770 but with 24TB of storage to store some local content as well. find it a little laggy. Do you find you have enough space for the downloading of content until it uploads to Gsuite? I need to start the migration of my local content first before switching

Somedude

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
I have an auction server with a 3770, 16gb ram, intel nic, and 4x4TB raid 0 setup. Everytime I notice lag its because of a high iowait (you can see it in netdata). So the bottleneck isnt the cpu or ram. Its the hard drive itself. I run too much stuff the hard drive can't keep up. But I need the space for seeding. Check and see if your problem is the same.

Reactions: boganslayer

kingelk

Blitz 2nd Class
I have an auction server with a 3770, 16gb ram, intel nic, and 4x4TB raid 0 setup. Everytime I notice lag its because of a high iowait (you can see it in netdata). So the bottleneck isnt the cpu or ram. Its the hard drive itself. I run too much stuff the hard drive can't keep up. But I need the space for seeding. Check and see if your problem is the same.
sounds like this could be the problem. I think once I have built up the content and no really significant downloading will be done except for updates to re-occurring shows and the odd new movie release i could get away with switching to the EX42.

it-junkiez

Blitz 3rd Class
im thinking of upgrading to this. Currently running a auction server i3770 but with 24TB of storage to store some local content as well. find it a little laggy. Do you find you have enough space for the downloading of content until it uploads to Gsuite? I need to start the migration of my local content first before switching
I've had the queue in sab well over the 1.2TB mark waiting to be downloaded and it all uploaded to GSuite before the hard drive filled up if that makes sense? - Like i never ran out of space because it was extracting/uploading/deleting before the drive filled

Reactions: kingelk

it-junkiez

Blitz 3rd Class
Before i went for the EX42-NVME i had a server with ovh, and thats exactly what the problem i was having. i was downloading/unpacking too much and the hard drives just couldnt keep up with the pace so everything grounded to a halt.

Since i've moved over to the NVME system, it's lightening fast!

Spoonsy1480

Blitz Samurai
Original poster
The fine to google must have been a mistake on my part, I must have had it set with the same billing account as my old address that I had already used the free $300. An expensive mistake, I think I had done something in Traefik so it messed up my webpages.
Upgraded to the e3-1346v3 as it had 32gb of ram thought that may help

Reactions: timekills

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.