Hetzner server with PG

SirTranceALoT

Blitz Legioner
Staff
It is actually perfectly normal for people wanting to have a gui and I don't see how a webui couldn't be handy. Not everyone wants to dig into the whole script thing and most people want a server to stream media from the easy way. Not everyone is an MIT graduate studant or has a big ego. I run gui's just fine. Hell then you don't need gui's for sonarr, radarr and even plex either do you?

AMMJ93

Blitz 2nd Class
Donor
I think some GUIs just bring more problems than they solve because the user doesn't know what it actually does and thus doesn't know how olto troubleshoot something easily. I get where the 'No GUI is better' comes from. As someone who wants to run a server you should (maybe gradually) learn your way in a terminal instead of having multiple GUIs for everything you do. Then you can even do everything from your Android, IOS or whatever on the fly, wherever you are. Having a GUI for Sonarr and what not is of course different than needing a GUI to see what folders you have on your machine (or deleting a certain folder). Understanding a little bit about whats happening underneath those GUIs is (in my opinion) an important aspect of maintaining a nice and healthy server. Sometimes it's better to try to gain strength in your weaknesses :) So for someone who has no experience in computer languages at all, I would still advise them to start learning a little by little as a hobby. Its fun, right? Why would we want to encourage them to use as much GUIs as possible? Understanding how something works would help them alot when it comes to PG.

Reactions: SirTranceALoT

thepj

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
lol? well aware of raid formats and plenty of reasons to use raid 0. more so if you install on GCE cloud, it doesn't even support other formats. for starters plexguide users run backups and cron scripts right?. everything is disposable and re-installable within minutes. please don't go around advising people to avoid something that's quite helpful to a pure plex box.
Completely agree with this. @MrDoob Raid0 absolutely has its functions on a GCE feeder server. I think what MrDoob is saying is never do it on the main plex server with all your content ;-)

Reactions: MrDoob

SirTranceALoT

Blitz Legioner
Staff
I think some GUIs just bring more problems than they solve because the user doesn't know what it actually does and thus doesn't know how olto troubleshoot something easily. I get where the 'No GUI is better' comes from. As someone who wants to run a server you should (maybe gradually) learn your way in a terminal instead of having multiple GUIs for everything you do. Then you can even do everything from your Android, IOS or whatever on the fly, wherever you are. Having a GUI for Sonarr and what not is of course different than needing a GUI to see what folders you have on your machine (or deleting a certain folder). Understanding a little bit about whats happening underneath those GUIs is (in my opinion) an important aspect of maintaining a nice and healthy server. Sometimes it's better to try to gain strength in your weaknesses :) So for someone who has no experience in computer languages at all, I would still advise them to start learning a little by little as a hobby. Its fun, right? Why would we want to encourage them to use as much GUIs as possible? Understanding how something works would help them alot when it comes to PG.
Don't get me wrong, I for one am a huge fav for commandline and scripts and I understand your point completaly but, Not everyone is capable of doing these things so "should" can not apply to this. People that want to run an out of the box server the easy way, aren't interested in learning about the background of things and that's well in their right to do so. I don't think projects like these should only be for the elite, meaning those with extensive linux and coding knowledge. I learned this the hard way. 70% of people that might use this project just want it to install and have it running. They just want to dump stuff on google drive, stream their media onto different devices and that's it. Should they be denied of using plexguide? I don't think so. It's a matter of vision really. Kinda like the iPhone vs Android thing.

kingelk

Blitz 2nd Class
Original poster
okay guys, whats the quickest way to test if a file is getting uploaded to Gsuite? Have set everything up can download fine to the default sab location /mnt/downloads/sabnzbd/movies (for movies) then what happens after that? PG Clone is set up. Cheers

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

MrDoob

Administrator
Project Manager
Sponsor
Donor
cp -a -r -v <source> /mnt/move

MrDoob

Administrator
Project Manager
Sponsor
Donor
You can use Radarr and Sonarr for renaming .
But i dont use it.
I use another options for rename and move.

But this is CP command is a quick command for Testing.

You can use also this one ..

<unionfs-and-move-test>
cd /mnt/move && touch cron.txt && cd /mnt/unionfs && ls -aral

If you see the file "cron.txt" all is fine.

<tdrive-test>
cd /mnt/tdrive && touch cron-tdrive.txt
&& cd /mnt/unionfs && ls -aral

<gdrive-test>
cd /mnt/gdrive && touch cron-gdrive.txt
&& cd /mnt/unionfs && ls -aral

if you want to test <creat> new folder

cd /mnt/{move,gdrive,tdrive,unionfs}/{move,gdrive,tdrive,unionfs} && mkdir name-of-folder && cd /mnt/unionfs && ls

Change only this to specifi to Create a Folder Inside. move,gdrive,tdrive,unionfs

kingelk

Blitz 2nd Class
Original poster
err i think i hit a problem. I created a folder called "movies" via Cloud commander in the /mnt/unionfs/(movies) folder
I read that i need to point radarr to that folder to add the movies to. But when i try and add a movie in radarr i get an error saying "folder is not writable by user abc) but it can write to the unionfs/ folder directly so movies are being created in there and not in a separate category called movies. Help appreciated

Stryk3r

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
err i think i hit a problem. I created a folder called "movies" via Cloud commander in the /mnt/unionfs/(movies) folder
I read that i need to point radarr to that folder to add the movies to. But when i try and add a movie in radarr i get an error saying "folder is not writable by user abc) but it can write to the unionfs/ folder directly so movies are being created in there and not in a separate category called movies. Help appreciated
It's probably a permissions issue. it's always best to create folders in terminal so you can verify the permissions on them.

Use terminal and sudo chown -R 1000:1000 /mnt/unionfs/* && sudo chmod -R 775 /mnt/unionfs/*

This should fix any permissions issues.

kingelk

Blitz 2nd Class
Original poster
thanks, that fixed the write permissions. Movies are being created in the /mnt/unionfs/movies/(filename.mkv) but i dont see anything moving to Gsuite. Also plex is not seeing anything saved in /mnt/unionfs/movies.

Thanks

Stryk3r

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
thanks, that fixed the write permissions. Movies are being created in the /mnt/unionfs/movies/(filename.mkv) but i dont see anything moving to Gsuite. Also plex is not seeing anything saved in /mnt/unionfs/movies.

Thanks
files get uploaded from /mnt/move which is part of the unionfs that includes /mnt/unionfs/

Have a look in /mnt/move and you should see a movies directory, and anything in there will be uploaded to gdrive. also check the permissions on /mnt/move and make sure they are set to 1000:1000 and not root. You can check the progress of uploads by typing the command "blitz" in terminal.

As for Plex, since the permissions were wrong you will need to restart the plex container for it to "See" stuff in the folders.

sudo docker restart plex

that should do it, or you can use portainer to restart it as well. Once restarted plex should see the contents of the /mnt/unionfs folders now that the permissions are set right. Always restart containers after changing permissions.

kingelk

Blitz 2nd Class
Original poster
All. Some progress. Files now downloading and uploading (albeit slowly) from test VPS server. I have hit one snag. I go through the process of installing plex - claim the server etc...however using the VPS IP i keep getting my (existing remote server home page) and not the wizard to set up a new server. Is it possible to have multiple servers on one account? Thanks

S

subse7en

All. Some progress. Files now downloading and uploading (albeit slowly) from test VPS server. I have hit one snag. I go through the process of installing plex - claim the server etc...however using the VPS IP i keep getting my (existing remote server home page) and not the wizard to set up a new server. Is it possible to have multiple servers on one account? Thanks
Did you look at the sidebar and see the server list with a random guid next to your existing server...?

timekills

Blitz Samurai
Staff
Donor
@kingelk Guess the main point is will struggle with that Xeon and multi user steaming. Coffeelake, not so much.

Xeon would maybe do 5x 1080p transcodes, Coffeelake about 25 and wouldn't be above 50% load. Do need a plexpass to enable hardware transcoding but it really is night and day for multi user shares imo. Reason why I would lean toward coffeelake over any skylake is much better support for newer codec formats (10bit/hevc/hdr+). Check support graph @ wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

While setup cost is higher, monthly price is also lower. As you also mentioned it has 2x nvme drives which can easily be setup in raid0 for superfast metadata seeks. Your call at end of the day, just passing along suggestions from first hand experience. :)
Just FYSA, some Xeons do have iGPUs. Notably those that end in a "5" or "6".
I'm using one right now for hardware transcoding though PG as my backup server.
The older ones are fairly cheap (the one I'm using is a 1246 v3/Haswell family)- but as you said can't do HEVC/x265 and/or HDR unless you get a very new Xeon family, which will be pricy. The 7000 series (Kaby Lake) and higher all support HEVC and HDR - which is why my main server is one of the EX61 NVMEs you mentioned.

P.S. They will occasionally have sales where they don't charge for initial set-up, The last one I saw was around Christmas (late December.)

Last edited:

Sheryars

Blitz 3rd Class
I have E5-1650 v3 how do i know if this one has iGPU and how can i use it for plex?

MrDoob

Administrator
Project Manager
Sponsor
Donor

timekills

Blitz Samurai
Staff
Donor
Fast way: https://ark.intel.com/Search/FeatureFilter?productType=processors&QuickSyncVideo=true
Search for your CPU. (Hint - you won't find it as a Haswell workstation class CPU they don't come with iGPUs)

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Microsoft_Windows

As above by @MrDoob - E5-1650v3 is a Haswell class workstation CPU so:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

Look for the E5-1650v3 series. Note there is no "Graphics Clock Rate" column, because they didn't have iGPUs. (They also didn't come with heatsinks, as the users were expected to add discrete GPUs and their own heatsink.)

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Just FYSA, some Xeons do have iGPUs. Notably those that end in a "5" or "6".
I'm using one right now for hardware transcoding though PG as my backup server.
The older ones are fairly cheap (the one I'm using is a 1246 v3/Haswell family)- but as you said can't do HEVC/x265 and/or HDR unless you get a very new Xeon family, which will be pricy. The 7000 series (Kaby Lake) and higher all support HEVC and HDR - which is why my main server is one of the EX61 NVMEs you mentioned.

P.S. They will occasionally have sales where they don't charge for initial set-up, The last one I saw was around Christmas (late December.)
A cautionary tale, just because a system has an e3 12x5 or 12x6 etc. doesn't guarantee its iGPU is usable. For example the Dell R210ii is a popular/cheap/power efficient 1u server still widely used in budget/mid range hosts, it'll support a e3 12xx v1/v2, due to it's use of BMC/iDRAC iGPU is disabled no matter what you do.

Also as Plex only outputs h264 when it transcodes and all transcoding is done to SDR then h265 support is therefore limited to decode only (iirc decode was enabled in 6th gen?) and HDR to SDR tone mapping is broken. If/when Plex (and FFMpeg) decide to support h265 output and tone mapping is fixed, then a 7th gen will be a decent option, till then the 6th gen is functionally near enough identical for our needs. Either way direct play is the default option.

timekills

Blitz Samurai
Staff
Donor
Excellent point - the mobo/hardware config are all part of the requirements. Hetzner has some dedicated systems with CPUs that have iGPUs but they can't be enabled due to the workstation class motherboard they're installed on.

I'll disagree (with caveats ;) )with the HDR relevance though. II agree it's probably not worth spending more on, but
1) The Kaby Lake and higher do a noticeably better job of h264 encoding than the Skylake (6xxx) series, so even if you're only worried about h264 the HW encoding quality is better. All of the 6XXX and up are WORLDS better than the the 3XXX, 2XXX series though. Those older chips do h264 but it's painful to watch if there is any motion to speak of in the scene.
2) The Plex Media Player actually has HDR tonemapping built into it - so if you're using Plex to encode, whether software or hardware, it does a fairly decent job of displaying the 8bit version of the 10 bit/HDR colors. Not washed out like players without tonemapping. And as you said, it's already being worked in FFMpeg, even available if you want to use it.

But your point still stands that going for a 7xxx or 8xxx (Kaby Lake or Coffee lake) CPU over a 6xxx series isn't worth paying for - at least not much - since by the time h265 and HDR capable players become the norm, those CPUs will likely be older and the servers cheaper to switch to anyway.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Staff
Donor
Excellent point - the mobo/hardware config are all part of the requirements. Hetzner has some dedicated systems with CPUs that have iGPUs but they can't be enabled due to the workstation class motherboard they're installed on.

I'll disagree (with caveats ;) )with the HDR relevance though. II agree it's probably not worth spending more on, but
1) The Kaby Lake and higher do a noticeably better job of h264 encoding than the Skylake (6xxx) series, so even if you're only worried about h264 the HW encoding quality is better. All of the 6XXX and up are WORLDS better than the the 3XXX, 2XXX series though. Those older chips do h264 but it's painful to watch if there is any motion to speak of in the scene.
2) The Plex Media Player actually has HDR tonemapping built into it - so if you're using Plex to encode, whether software or hardware, it does a fairly decent job of displaying the 8bit version of the 10 bit/HDR colors. Not washed out like players without tonemapping. And as you said, it's already being worked in FFMpeg, even available if you want to use it.

But your point still stands that going for a 7xxx or 8xxx (Kaby Lake or Coffee lake) CPU over a 6xxx series isn't worth paying for - at least not much - since by the time h265 and HDR capable players become the norm, those CPUs will likely be older and the servers cheaper to switch to anyway.
I was under the impression that 6th and 7th gen encoding performance is identical in terms of h264 as its essentially the same GPU but with a very minor tweak for the h265 side, h265 is a moot point as Plex doesn't use it. With that in mind, how much h264 HDR content do you realistically have? I was under the impression (I don't personally use HDR) that the upstream tone mapping fix was only introduced a few months back and was still alpha. 8th gen is a different scenario, an 8th gen i3 is actually a pretty decent server CPU (with PlexPass) and beats i5 6xxx CPU's nicely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.