What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Hetzner Advice for a Newbie

ThunderousJake

Hi all!

I have recently Sitevered this incredible community and have been lurking for the past few days, doing my research and getting some hands on experience by trying out some of the cheap Hetzner cloud services for practice. I had never used Linux prior to this week, so I still have a TON to learn, but I think that I am going to go ahead and take the plunge on an Auction dedicated server from Hetzner. I formerly ran an automated Plex server locally (using Windows on my everyday PC), but due to a theft incident that occurred last year I wanted to make the shift to a cloud based solution.

I'm sure that I will have a lot of questions during the entire setup process, but I look forward to the challenge and I think trying to make everything run smoothly will be half the fun. For now though I had a few questions about my server selection specifically.

1. I am based in the USA, but of every option I've looked at Hetzner seems the most appealing - any reason not to use them since they obviously aren't close to me geographically?

2. I'm looking to be in the $25-$35 range for a server that I might share with my brother and a few friends. Is extra HDD space truly important or would 2x 250 SSD be plenty of space for me initially?

Examples:

Option A: $28.57
  • Intel Core i7-4770
  • (CPU-B 9840)
2x 256 GB
  • SSD
32 GB RAM

Option B: $31.93
  • Intel Core i7-4770
  • (CPU-B 9840)
2x 2 TB HDD
  • + 2x SSD 250 GB
32 GB RAM

I know it's only a difference of $4, but as a novice I would just like to understand what, if any, kind of performance boost I might expect.

Lastly, I have heard that Hetzner bills on the 20th of each month (sorry if this is inaccurate) and was just wondering if I should wait a few days and purchase on the 21st?

Any advice/reccomendations would be greatly appreciated and I hope this doesn't come across as lazy! After reading through the forums for the past few days this seems like a really helpful community and I can't wait to hear back from some of you.

Porkie

Staff
SSD is good if your going to use gsuite to store your data, with them being only 250GB you maybe better setting them up as raid 0 so you get full use of them both and get 500GB rather than 250GB in raid 1. If your just going to use local storage go for something with a few TB of drives but that will not be SSD but HDD.

Im not sure how the streams will be streaming from Europe to the US, but maybe Cloudflare can help in that regard been as they are a US based DNS/Proxy.

Other than that the cpu and ram is sufficient and the cpu also has igpu which can offset transcoding so it wont effect the whole system resources.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Hi all!

I have recently Sitevered this incredible community and have been lurking for the past few days, doing my research and getting some hands on experience by trying out some of the cheap Hetzner cloud services for practice. I had never used Linux prior to this week, so I still have a TON to learn, but I think that I am going to go ahead and take the plunge on an Auction dedicated server from Hetzner. I formerly ran an automated Plex server locally (using Windows on my everyday PC), but due to a theft incident that occurred last year I wanted to make the shift to a cloud based solution.

I'm sure that I will have a lot of questions during the entire setup process, but I look forward to the challenge and I think trying to make everything run smoothly will be half the fun. For now though I had a few questions about my server selection specifically.

1. I am based in the USA, but of every option I've looked at Hetzner seems the most appealing - any reason not to use them since they obviously aren't close to me geographically?

2. I'm looking to be in the $25-$35 range for a server that I might share with my brother and a few friends. Is extra HDD space truly important or would 2x 250 SSD be plenty of space for me initially?

Examples:

Option A: $28.57
  • Intel Core i7-4770
  • (CPU-B 9840)
2x 256 GB
  • SSD
32 GB RAM

Option B: $31.93
  • Intel Core i7-4770
  • (CPU-B 9840)
2x 2 TB HDD
  • + 2x SSD 250 GB
32 GB RAM

I know it's only a difference of $4, but as a novice I would just like to understand what, if any, kind of performance boost I might expect.

Lastly, I have heard that Hetzner bills on the 20th of each month (sorry if this is inaccurate) and was just wondering if I should wait a few days and purchase on the 21st?

Any advice/reccomendations would be greatly appreciated and I hope this doesn't come across as lazy! After reading through the forums for the past few days this seems like a really helpful community and I can't wait to hear back from some of you.
Do they? Thought it was online.net that did that. Ya the hd matters on how u use the server. Welcome by the way! Also u can run test with a home vm or https://hetzner.cloud

ThunderousJake

SSD is good if your going to use gsuite to store your data, with them being only 250GB you maybe better setting them up as raid 0 so you get full use of them both and get 500GB rather than 250GB in raid 1. If your just going to use local storage go for something with a few TB of drives but that will not be SSD but HDD.
I plan on using gsuite so I guess I will probably stick with the SSD configuration! Thanks a lot. Now to figure out how to set up RAID 0 :ROFLMAO:

Do they? Thought it was online.net that did that. Ya the hd matters on how u use the server. Welcome by the way! Also u can run test with a home vm or https://hetzner.cloud
Thanks! I'm thinking maybe I could test out a cloud option for a full month and then migrate over to a dedicated server once I'm starting to get the hang of things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I were to switch over from a cloud server to a dedi, I would have to redo my PGBlitz setup, but everything that I already had sent to my gsuite would remain there?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top NZB NewsGroups!

Members - Up To a 58% Discount!

Development Donations

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors