Chat Hello all! Looking forward to playing and have a question...

womble123

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
Hello everyone,

Stumbled across your project site a couple of weeks ago but have been mega busy but have now found the time to have a play with it. Im not going to lie, I found it quite hard to understand what you had created but now I know.

What I wanted to know is can I have instance of go Plex Guide running remotely on a server and have it synced with my local server which I am about to migrate from my 4-Bay Synology NAS (DS918+) with 4 x 8 TB to my new home server which will be quite an animal and lower cost than you might think thanks to the chaps at Serverbuilds:

PartSelectionCost
MotherboardGigabyte GA-7PESH2 dual socket LGA2011$175
CPU'sDual Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 @ 2.6 GHz (Base)
  • Single CPU Passmark: 13114
  • Dual CPL Passmark: 19049
$149
RAM32GB DDR3 1600MHz ECC Reg$80
CaseBasic 2U Case with 12x 3.5" Hot-Swappable SATA Bays£140
PSU2U Server PSU 600W£92
OS Hard Drive's2 x 240GB Sandisk SSD Plus £60
Storage Hard Drives8 x 8TB WD Red £130 each

As you can see, you can get a lot for your money when you shop around!

Anyhow, back to my question. Is it possible to sync my local setup running Plex Guide with a remote one also? Im also slight confused with how G-Suite comes into all this as in the 'INSTALL PGBLITZ' link give me a tutorial for setting it up on a dedi or VPS server? Then there I mentions of using Hetzner Cloud?

So basically I've read through the whole site almost and I'm a little lost where to start? Like I mentioned at the start, my local server is not quite ready for use yet but could I get started with a remote one and link to my home server at a latter date? Also, if someone could explain the G-Suite mention also. Sorry to sound thick but Im a little stumped!

Cheers

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
your fine. basically get a gsuite account and test the install on a hetzner cloud before dropping tons of money on a server; sorry have to head out :D

Last edited:
Reactions: womble123

MrDoob

Blitz VP
Staff
Sponsor
Donor
Here that's my Servers at home :love:

Home Server :

Intel Xeon E5-2650v2 ( Max E5-2690 )
ASUS Z9PA-U8
32Gb ECC DDR3-RAM ( Max 256Gb DDR3-ECC)
4 x 600 SAS RAID1+0 Cache Drive
( onboard via SAS to SATA )
1 x Samsung SSD 500GB Evo
( onboard via SATA )
8 x 8 TB RAID5 ( WD Red Only )
4 x DELL Perc H310i IT-FLASH
Intel PRO-1000 NIC
Chenbro 41416 16BAY
BeQuite 480w 80+

SAN :
Intel Xeon E5-2650 ( Max E5-2690 )
ASUS Z9PA-U8
64Gb ECC DDR3-RAM ( Max 256Gb DDR3-ECC)
4 x 600GB SAS RAID1+0 Cache Drive
4 x DELL Perc H310i IT-FLASH

GPU Build Server
2 x Intel XEON E5-2690v2
ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
256Gb ECC DDR3-RAM
4 x 500 GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD RAID1
4 x 500 GB GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD
RAID5 ( decode and encode )
4 x Nvidia Quadro P6000
2 x DELL PERC H310i IT-FLASH

And more server at home / it's to much for posting all !

REMOTE Dedicated Server
Provider: Hetzner
Data-Center : HEL1-DC2
CPU : i7-7700k
RAM : 64 GB
Hardware-Transcode : YES
Space :
OS > 240Gb Datacenter SSD
HDD > 2 x 4 TB
{ 1 x 4 TB Cache Drive for Plex }
{ 1 x 4 TB Download and unpacking }

womble123

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
Nice setup!

I still don't fully understand how local works with G suite/Hetzner though?!

MrDoob

Blitz VP
Staff
Sponsor
Donor
In sync my Gsuite drive to my Home Servers !

Porkie

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
You mount your Gsuite drive with rclone locally. This is all Plexguide does but remotely, its just a bit more hands on and a some linux knowledge setting up remote and local rather than having everything run remotely.

MrDoob

Blitz VP
Staff
Sponsor
Donor
I run a plex local as well as on the hetzner server.

And yes it's need more linux know how and too much editing the lines and then it will work.

Porkie

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
I run a remote server (GCE) for all downloading and uploading to Gsuite. I then run a local server for Plex, Plex autoscan. I have 18tb locally but I had that before I switched to Gsuite but you could run a local server with just a decent sized SSD so you can mount your gsuite with Rclone which doesnt download the files but your able to read them, So no need for extra HD's unless you want them.

My home server build which is overkill but it was cheap at the time.

Dual cpu Xeon 2650v1
32GB ram
18TB of mixed drives including a SSD
Nvidia 960 for plex transcoding
Mobo is a Unicorn from Hong Kong with 10GBE, But it was cheap server grade, something like £150 including delivery instead of £400 for consumer products.

Reactions: Admin9705

womble123

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
Hi watching the PS installer guide now. So do I need a Hetzner Cloud or G Suite to start?!

MrDoob

Blitz VP
Staff
Sponsor
Donor

Porkie

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
You need both. Gsuite to store files, Hetzner cloud or GCE to do the downloading/uploading. Then you will have plex local if thats how you plan on doing things as long as your confident enough with linux to setup you local plex install.

Most people find it easier to get a Hetzner auction server and run everything from one server. Then you just install the plex app on your devices to connect to your hetzner box.

womble123

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
Cheers. I like the idea of having at all online but I already have my Unraid server at home. My upload speeds are not quick enough to stream outside so have a duplicate of mine is perfect.

90% of my content is either 1080p 4GB+ or 2160p 30gb+ so streaming outside isn't possible really.

MrDoob

Blitz VP
Staff
Sponsor
Donor
here the same .. my Home Server / SAN`s runs as unRAID OS .. inside this i create a VM for uploading the files ^^

womble123

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
Right, so I have PG installed on my Hezner cloud and gsuite linked with the API's etc etc.

How do I simply view the Plex, Radarr, etc GUI? I linked the gsuite to an old domain of mine so thats done. Sounds stupid but what's the url I put in?!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.