What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Discussion Have Sonarr and Radarr linked to a remote download client?

KingyBear1

Blitz 3rd Class
Mount Type
Blitz Unencrypted
Server Type
Local - Virtual Machine
Just wondering if there was an easy way to do this. Have Sonarr and Radarr running on my local server and have GCE just dedicated to downloading.

I tried just putting the ip for NZBGET in and it would download but wouldn't move the files.

plex_noob

Blitz Legioner
Staff
Donor
Hi,

One easy way is to install a Vpn between the 2 servers in order to be able to talk almost transparently between the 2. An easy method installing a Vpn is as follows:
- go to zerotier.com and create a free account.
- create a new network and get the Id corresponding to it.
- then install the zyclonite/zerotier container on each end. And specify the network Id in the parameter.
- now both server are registered in my. zerotier.com but need first your approval before seing each other.
- once done you can fix the IP addresses of each server and make them talk to each other.

I configured it between 3 different locations and this is quite easy as a management point of view. I use it for example to notify each site's plex server when a new movie or series had been downloaded to update their respective db. Another use is sending all monitoring data from each site to a central grafana instance.

If you need further help just ask.

Cheers.

KingyBear1

Blitz 3rd Class
Hi,

One easy way is to install a Vpn between the 2 servers in order to be able to talk almost transparently between the 2. An easy method installing a Vpn is as follows:
- then install the zyclonite/zerotier container on each end. And specify the network Id in the parameter.
- now both server are registered in my. zerotier.com but need first your approval before seing each other.
- once done you can fix the IP addresses of each server and make them talk to each other.

I configured it between 3 different locations and this is quite easy as a management point of view. I use it for example to notify each site's plex server when a new movie or series had been downloaded to update their respective db. Another use is sending all monitoring data from each site to a central grafana instance.

Cheers.

Now that's set up whats next?

justanothernoob

Blitz 2nd Class
Hi,

Cheers.
I've been trying for a few hours now lol I am such a noob it honestly hurts sometimes, when you have the guide up please let me know as i'd love to read it :)

Somedude

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
The issue is that *arrs need to be able to have read/write access to whatever filesystem that the files are on. Simply pointing the *arrs to the download client and its IP does not give it file system access. The solution I used for my two LAN connected servers was to mount /mnt/downloads/rutorrent from my 40TB server onto my NVME servers with *arrs on it via NFS. Since NFS is only good for something on a LAN connection, you probably want to look into setting up SSHFS.

The easy way is to back up via pgvault and put *arrs directly on GCE, then restore them back to your home server once you're done grabbing what you want.

plex_noob

Blitz Legioner
Staff
Donor
Nzbget will download but the files won't move? I assume I'm setting up the remote path mapping incorrectly. I just followed the wiki and put in the zerotier IP for the host?
Can you elaborate? I don't really understand your problem.

Somedude

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
Hi,

Cheers.

Wouldn't a better way to simply create a VPN on server A and have server B as the client? don't need accounts on another site or anything. Just a direct private tunnel.

plex_noob

Blitz Legioner
Staff
Donor
Wouldn't a better way to simply create a VPN on server A and have server B as the client? don't need accounts on another site or anything. Just a direct private tunnel.
It depends on what you are looking for. A traditional Vpn is a client connecting to a server or 2 servers connecting to each other. With zerotier we are more talking of a peer to peer network than a client server network. To summarize: a traditional Vpn connects different networks where zerotier is in fact the network. It's an abstraction layer which removes all the complexity of protocols, ports, configuration... With zerotier you create a network hypervisor, a network cloud. It takes less than 5 minutes to connect all the peers you want: docker, VM, physical servers, desktops and network devices.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.