Status
Not open for further replies.

DrgnFyre

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
PG Version
Server Type
Remote - Dedicated Server
So. the other day I installed 8.0.11 on a brand new server (using hetzner - dedicated servers for all of this testing)
things weren't going good - docker/portainer wouldn't connect.. i installed several apps (radarr/sonarr/sabnzbd/netdata) - couldn't connect to any of these services via ip: port

sudo rebooted the server.. then couldn't get to my ssh port (had moved it but verified I was getting to it before the reboot)

Dunno what happened - nuked the server.. actually decomissioned it and asked for a new one with SSD boot drive and 2x3TB HDD's

Build new server. Install pg 8.0.12
move ssh port - confirm things are right.. update system.. make sudo user..etc (got all the commands written down now that i've done this 4 times)
docker/portainer - working.. yay.
sudo reboot

dead server.. can't ssh anymore to it - no containers are working (server responds to ping)

It's almost like pg installed a firewall.. I didn't setup portguard or traefik or anything like that.

so.. nuke server again.. figure i'll install 7.7.3 (says latest stable version)

I go to install 7.7.3 - and.. it's like the v7 installer is now the v8 installer. it just shows me v8 as an option.

sigh.

install 8.0.9 (because 8.0.12 and .11 didn't like me today)
docker works.. yay
setup 2nd processing location - all good.

when i try and deploy nzbget and sabnzbd however, i get errors creating their containers.
seems like it's not making them properly in my new processing location (I change processing location to /mnt and things work again)

go to restore from plex vault
doesn't see my other server backups (it can see gdrive - did all the auth stuff / deployed pgblitz no encryption)

copy my other server backup to new name of this server..
type in this server name, and get ⛔ ERROR - Type an Exact Server Name

i also tried to reinstall plex and just tell it to use my new /mnt/raid0 location by editing server.hd.path - now sabnzbd deploys okay, but again i can't restore backups.

what do i need to do to install 7.7.3 again? it worked except for the 2nd processing folder thing not working right with pgblitz but I think i can get around that.

edit for error i get when trying to do a restore -
Type a Number | Press [ENTER]: 2
cat: /var/plexguide/program.temp: No such file or directory

Last edited:

tonycfromit

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
So. the other day I installed 8.0.11 on a brand new server (using hetzner - dedicated servers for all of this testing)
things weren't going good - docker/portainer wouldn't connect.. i installed several apps (radarr/sonarr/sabnzbd/netdata) - couldn't connect to any of these services via ip: port

sudo rebooted the server.. then couldn't get to my ssh port (had moved it but verified I was getting to it before the reboot)

Dunno what happened - nuked the server.. actually decomissioned it and asked for a new one with SSD boot drive and 2x3TB HDD's

move ssh port - confirm things are right.. update system.. make sudo user..etc (got all the commands written down now that i've done this 4 times)
sudo reboot

dead server.. can't ssh anymore to it - no containers are working (server responds to ping)

It's almost like pg installed a firewall.. I didn't setup portguard or traefik or anything like that.

I go to install 7.7.3 - and.. it's like the v7 installer is now the v8 installer. it just shows me v8 as an option.

sigh.

docker works.. yay

when i try and deploy nzbget and sabnzbd however, i get errors creating their containers.
seems like it's not making them properly in my new processing location (I change processing location to /mnt and things work again)

doesn't see my other server backups (it can see gdrive - did all the auth stuff / deployed pgblitz no encryption)

i also tried to reinstall plex and just tell it to use my new /mnt/raid0 location by editing server.hd.path - now sabnzbd deploys okay, but again i can't restore backups.

what do i need to do to install 7.7.3 again? it worked except for the 2nd processing folder thing not working right with pgblitz but I think i can get around that.

**OH MY GOD!**

That sounds like a nightmare!

I was actually feeling a sinking feeling in my chest by the end of reading that.

I wish I could help you but I have been taking a break on updates since 7.7 because I was having more issues on the server configuration side than the platform and decided to focus on that.

I am happy I did, because what you described would have me pulling my hair and gnashing my teeth!

(If I were you I would hit up the discord and see if you can find some help from one of the devs!)

plexserver.hetzner

Blitz 3rd Class

sudo reboot

sigh.

docker works.. yay

I went through the exact same thing two days back. I too have hetzner dedicated server but i used a VM in Hyper-V inside.

What i found out at the end was that I wasnt giving enough storage assigned to the root LVM in Ubuntu. I was using a second vhd as the download path, it had 1TB, but kept failing. Removed that disk, expanded the root to 500 GB instead and it worked.

Also, do remember to install Openssh as the package during the fresh Ubuntu install.

I have made NAT rules from the Hyper-V host to the internal VM for all the docker ports for me to access them outside network.

Reactions: pYTTH

DrgnFyre

Blitz 1st Class
Original poster
(If I were you I would hit up the discord and see if you can find some help from one of the devs!)
What os are u on?

Why nuke it instead of logging in via hetzner console and dig trough logs and see whats causing the problems?
I did post on discord but was unable to get a solution. No response to not being able to install 7.x.

dpoeryde tried helping me with troubleshooting some log files but I don't know enough about linux to know what to look for honestly.

Also, the rescue kvm console for hetzner --sucks--. You can't type in things like "/" or use half the numpad (using / on that keyboard types 7) - took me forever to get into it because my password contained an "=" and typing that in their console results in "0". had to use ascii codes to get it to work. (oh and when you type in an ascii code it adds a trailing "0" to whatever you typed so you have to use ^H to backspace because then backspace tends to try and go 'back' a page in your browser)
:(

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
you know when you cannot ssh into your server, your running out of space or put a security measure that prevents you from logging in. installing v7 will not resolve that. the v8 and v7 are the exact same; one just pulls v8 files to install and the other pulls the v7 files to install (like a text file).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.