What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

GCE Feeder Edition - Why no torrents?

MrSweet1991

Hi All,

first off just want to say a massive thanks to the guys behind PG as the installation was amazing, few hiccups but that's user error. I can only imagine how hard it was to actually code it!

But back to the point, I see the guide states you'll need newsgroups but what exactly is wrong with torrents on this setup? I'm just getting to grips with newsgroups and have signed up to newsgroupdirect and NZBGeek and downloads are seriously quick, already put 12 seasons and 40gb blu rays on effortlessly but it's weird to find downloads being broken or already took down and I quite miss having my private tracker so I was just curious why it's newsgroups only?

M

MrDoob

Torrent need double space. For seeding more CPU use more RAM more Aktionen.

NZB need download /unpack space.
No seeding no double spave.

MrSweet1991

Torrent need double space. For seeding more CPU use more RAM more Aktionen.

NZB need download /unpack space.
No seeding no double spave.
Thanks Mr Doob!

So in theory, if you donated on a private tracker to get freeleech for a month s you don't have to seed and your RAM is 8GB with a 2 core CPU wouldn't it be okay?

M

MrDoob

I dont know .
Thats the same if pay for 1 month per NZB ..

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

MrSweet1991

I dont know .
Thats the same if pay for 1 month per NZB ..
Yeah, to be honest I think I'll change my opinion about usenet once I get some better trackers. Right now I feel a bit lost
I'll add custom ram later but gce and torrents are not a great combo
So, lets say I did add rutorrent and my indexer would anything catastrophic happen? It took so long to get it up and running I'd be quite hesitant to test in this early stage.. as I say I don't mind paying for freeleech to download and delete for a few weeks if space is the issue?

UncleBuck

Staff
Yeah, to be honest I think I'll change my opinion about usenet once I get some better trackers. Right now I feel a bit lost
I understand the frustration on usenet but there are way to improve your results.

To start have multiple indexers. Right now I am using NZBFinder, NZBGeek and NZBPlanet. Some people have more and some have less.

Next is to have two usenet providers on different backbones. Doing this will increase the chances of successfully downloading. I am currently using an unlimited monthly subscription with newhosting.com and a 500GB block plan with usnetexpress.com I set up newshosting as primary and usnetexpress as secondary. The 500GB cost me $20 but it lasts a long while. The way it works is sabnzbd tries to download from newshosting first and then tries to find missing pieces from usnetexpress.

Here is a usenet backbone map. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Usenet_Providers_and_Backbones.svg

Another thing I do is in sabnzbd I set the switch or "Check before download". This slows down the overall process but it has benefits. You won't waste a bunch of download quota because it detects the article is bad before beginning the download.

Slowing down a little isn't necessarily a bad thing either. I have had times where my downloads were faster then my uploads and I filled up my local storage. With that option checked I have never had that happen.

MrSweet1991

I understand the frustration on usenet but there are way to improve your results.

To start have multiple indexers. Right now I am using NZBFinder, NZBGeek and NZBPlanet. Some people have more and some have less.

Next is to have two usenet providers on different backbones. Doing this will increase the chances of successfully downloading. I am currently using an unlimited monthly subscription with newhosting.com and a 500GB block plan with usnetexpress.com I set up newshosting as primary and usnetexpress as secondary. The 500GB cost me $20 but it lasts a long while. The way it works is sabnzbd tries to download from newshosting first and then tries to find missing pieces from usnetexpress.

Here is a usenet backbone map. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Usenet_Providers_and_Backbones.svg

Another thing I do is in sabnzbd I set the switch or "Check before download". This slows down the overall process but it has benefits. You won't waste a bunch of download quota because it detects the article is bad before beginning the download.

Slowing down a little isn't necessarily a bad thing either. I have had times where my downloads were faster then my uploads and I filled up my local storage. With that option checked I have never had that happen.
Thanks a lot Dilonsflix! I read this and thought it was brilliant but I had so much going on at the time that I didn't have chance to write back properly! Well, I'm starting to like usenet at the moment, I also put my guard down a bit simply because I managed to get torrents as an option as well so the whole thing became less frustrating. Right now I'm looking into a secondary indexer as I currently have NZBGeek and while it's been superb at pulling TV Show Seasons, it can miss quite a few and also as th admin found out your account can get flagged from mass DL which is exactly what I intend to do :ROFLMAO:

I've asked for an invitation to Drunkenslug as they appear to be really good judging from what I've read so at least I'll have multiple indexes, now the usenet provider and blocks that really does confuse me. If the files are coming from the indexer, how can a different provider be any more successful? In simple terms, I read the provider is like the treasure map and the indexer is like the gold so I would have assumed the indexer played the most important role in that scenario?

The block plan again confuses me, off the bat the provider looks to the indexer to get the files so I'm a little lost with the block.. don't get me wrong, I'll be constantly searching the web as I always do to get these answers but thanks a lot for the information it's appreciated!

UncleBuck

Staff
Bare with me as I am not all that past being a newb myself. This may not be exactly accurate but I think you will get the point. Basically indexers inform your downloader to the existence of the article. The provider acts as an access point to the pieces of the article. Articles are split into pieces and spread across servers world wide.

Now when an article is published it is done so via a provider on one of the backbones. These articles are then replicated to the other backbones.

Very regularly DMCA removal requests are made. It is then up to the backbone to begin the process of removing the article. This takes time and each backbone will do it at a different rate. So by having providers on different backbones you increase the chance of finding enough pieces to the article to have a successful download.

So in theory you have an unlimited provider on one backbone. This is where you expect to have a large majority of the data downloaded. When your downloader can't find a piece of the article on that provider it will check with your backup provider from the other backbone which most people setup as a block account. If the backup is used it will usually be for a very small percentage of the total article size. So my 500GB could last a very long time depending on how much I download. If you are planning on seeding an entire library it may be worth it to do an unlimited account on the backup until you have finishes seeding.

I have a 2000 movie library and couple of dozen current TV shows. So I regularly download a few dozen new movies a month and about 20 new TV episodes a week. Much of these will be new articles so they probably have not received DMCA removal requests as of yet. My 500GB block backup provider will rarely be used and therefore last me a long time making it a better value then a second $10 monthtly unlimited account.

I recently started looking at Drunken Slug. I had their free account until today and signed up for a ale account. I am waiting for that to take affect to see if it gives me some invites. If you still need one I would be willing to send one your way.

MrSweet1991

Bare with me as I am not all that past being a newb myself. This may not be exactly accurate but I think you will get the point. Basically indexers inform your downloader to the existence of the article. The provider acts as an access point to the pieces of the article. Articles are split into pieces and spread across servers world wide.

Now when an article is published it is done so via a provider on one of the backbones. These articles are then replicated to the other backbones.

Very regularly DMCA removal requests are made. It is then up to the backbone to begin the process of removing the article. This takes time and each backbone will do it at a different rate. So by having providers on different backbones you increase the chance of finding enough pieces to the article to have a successful download.

So in theory you have an unlimited provider on one backbone. This is where you expect to have a large majority of the data downloaded. When your downloader can't find a piece of the article on that provider it will check with your backup provider from the other backbone which most people setup as a block account. If the backup is used it will usually be for a very small percentage of the total article size. So my 500GB could last a very long time depending on how much I download. If you are planning on seeding an entire library it may be worth it to do an unlimited account on the backup until you have finishes seeding.

I have a 2000 movie library and couple of dozen current TV shows. So I regularly download a few dozen new movies a month and about 20 new TV episodes a week. Much of these will be new articles so they probably have not received DMCA removal requests as of yet. My 500GB block backup provider will rarely be used and therefore last me a long time making it a better value then a second $10 monthtly unlimited account.

I recently started looking at Drunken Slug. I had their free account until today and signed up for a ale account. I am waiting for that to take affect to see if it gives me some invites. If you still need one I would be willing to send one your way.
wow! again thanks for the great writeup it really makes things so much easier to understand. after reading that I actually went back and read your initial post and it's so much easier to understand :)

I also like the fact that the block with 500GB is quite literally used to to pick up the missing pieces, initially I saw x amount of TB and I immediately overlooked it as I just thought it's something i'd use a lot of but your description makes it understandable how long that 500GB will last for and it can essentially save a download going to waste.

also, your switch/setting for checking the downloads (I'm not sure what it's called without looking back) but that's definitely an option I need to look into, speed for me hasn't been an issue so slowing things down and making it more efficient just makes so much sense.

As for drunkenslug I'll cross my fingers that they provide an invite with your ale status and of course will greatly appreciate it if one went to me :D

nachobel

Staff
Donor
To start have multiple indexers.
Just to clarify, if I am using an indexer (like nzbplanet) and a provider (like newshosting), I can add another indexer and have access to more content with the same provider? Thanks...still learning...

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Just to clarify, if I am using an indexer (like nzbplanet) and a provider (like newshosting), I can add another indexer and have access to more content with the same provider? Thanks...still learning...
oh yeah, the more the better; key is to get good ones

UncleBuck

Staff
Think of it this way.

Indexers are like your search engine. If you search google, yahoo and Bing for the same term they will all give you mostly the same results but each one will also return some websites the other's won't. By searching all three you get the more options then searching one.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

MrSweet1991

oh yeah, the more the better; key is to get good ones
Do you still have a grudge against NZBGeeks? :ROFLMAO: I have to say when I read that they banned you or what ever for supposedly "web scraping" I was sceptical and quite frankly just waited for my own notice.. but they're absolutely brilliant for the amount of content it gets so I was just wondering if you ever resolved anything with them?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Do you still have a grudge against NZBGeeks? :ROFLMAO: I have to say when I read that they banned you or what ever for supposedly "web scraping" I was sceptical and quite frankly just waited for my own notice.. but they're absolutely brilliant for the amount of content it gets so I was just wondering if you ever resolved anything with them?
i gave them the finger and told them hey, your loss; i'll just stop saying good things about you and warn everyone of you. Could of been the mod/admin on at the time, but even explain how the project works and referrals, but i could tell they had no clue; so nzbplanet is the only one who is unlimited without sending you tons of notices.

MrSweet1991

i gave them the finger and told them hey, your loss; i'll just stop saying good things about you and warn everyone of you. Could of been the mod/admin on at the time, but even explain how the project works and referrals, but i could tell they had no clue; so nzbplanet is the only one who is unlimited without sending you tons of notices.
What a shame, massive loss for sure! just checked NZBPlanet but it's invite only so I'll make another request post and check them out! :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.