Hardware:
F1 micro - google free tier

Software:
Emby
mrmachine/python-googledrive-videostream

Content:
Gdrive account - content sourced by a 3rd party

How does it work?
  • 'mrmachine/python-googledrive-videostream' scans every 5 minutes for any new content added to GDrive. Generate STRM files for new content
  • Emby libraries pointed to folders with STRM files, downloads metadata etc
  • Emby client is served content directly from Gdrive
Questions/discussion points:
  1. I noticed 10gb 1080 files are being served at a lower bit rate by gdrive. Guess gdrive scales the 1080p down to 15mbps no matter how high the bit rate is. This is not a big issue for me, but is it a big issue for you? Why is this a big deal?
  2. f1 micro has 30 gb disk. That should be plenty for metadata i was thinking? Is there a way to point metadata back to gdrive too?
  3. Why isnt plex supporting STRM? What do they have to loose? Based on my quick search, it sounds like they have dropped support for STRM recently.
  4. Would plexguide team have any plans to productise this frugal setup? I was told recent version of emby has some issues. Trying to get reverse proxy to do some shady denial on port as a workaround (ddurdle has sent me a script that i am in the process of integrating)

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
it's not a focus on my end right now (because of other project focuses), but if anyone contributes, we'll def support it :D

Reactions: quadiator

quadiator

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
@ddurdle has been helping with trying to get this going (with a emby bug that is forcing some streams be brokered via emby instead of direct play). Perhaps he may know how to productise this on plexguide setup?

piperflix_setup

Blitz 3rd Class
Oh wow, reading up on this and I'm super interested. Would it be possible for this to work with a encrypted tdrive?

• Money
Reactions: Admin9705

quadiator

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
well - i am a novice. applying a very basic logic of the setup - relying on gdrive to serve up the video, when encrypted it is just a data blob.

Why did you bother encrypting your media? i can understand the obvious reasons. Does plexguide let you serve encrypted media - decryption on the fly? I assume for encrypted media, it will have to wait for the whole file to download to your box before it could decry-pt and serve?

quadiator

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
i have been using google shell. All traffic within google domain is free. I dont know how CPU intensive is encrypting - you sure could use google resources to move data around. Shell has a booster option available as well.! give it a shot

timetrex

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
I use the gdrive add on with Kodi. I know it direct plays from gdrive. Bit rate doesn't change. Alot of my content would be remuxes.

Havent bothered with this add on. Find myself now just using powershell and generating the strm instead of exporting with the addon. The export takes longer. My powershell script done in a few seconds.

Since it's just me using my library, kodi is fine. I may explore other routes if i add users /family but for now Kodi will do.

timetrex

Blitz Sergeant
Staff
I can share, powershell script just uses the gdrive filestream on the pc. Goes through the drive and creates the strm files. Will share tomorrow.

Reactions: quadiator

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.