Discussion Fiber Available At Home... Now the options expand?

Jstrawsine

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
Donor
Hello Everyone,

So the whole reason I stumbled upon Plexguide was because my server at home (Dell Poweredge 6950) was destroyed. Therefore I started looking at cloud alternatives. Based off Admin's recommendation I have gone with Hetzner and the experience has been fair. Not sure if sometimes issues are encountered because of latency, transcoding performance, or simply download speed.

Regardless, now I have FIBER in my area and upload/download speeds will no longer be an issue. In fact, I already had a server rack, switch, and other home lab items. Now I have a budget of about $1000. Please see my questions below:

First: Has anyone had good experience with an on-premises server utilizing Plexguide?

Two: What would be a solid choice for a new server strictly dedicated to Plex?

Any input would be much appreciated!

zippy

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
I run my server at home using a Dell R410 running ESXI and having PG in a VM and it runs just fine. All the media is downloaded and moved over to a nas which is running from OpenMediaVault.

MrDoob

Administrator
Project Manager
Sponsor
Donor
I use unraid as base OS
PGuide 8.2.5 as VM Inside and
2 root Server to FILL up gdrive

foolio

Blitz 1st Class
Backer
I am not overly experienced yet with PG but have been running PLEX and most of the apps in PG for years inside of VMs I do have PG setup runnign local. Still on PG:8.1.8
My setup is probably overkill but I have:

a 2 node VSphere 6.7 - Vsan Cluster (licenses from VMUG Advantage subscription $200 yr)
each node is a
Dell R220 with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz & 32GBs of RAM - 2x1Gbe Nics - 1x256GB SSD (Vsan cache) and 1x2TB SSD (Vsan data). - picked up on ebay for $550 each. added drives.​
Primary Media Storage : (movies, tv shows, books, comics etc..)
Qty 2 - Synology RS1912+s each with 8x6TBs 7.2k SATAs in a SHR-2 (they are set to replicate to each other via cloud station server a-sync) - these are new and without drives were about $1k ea.​
Gaming Server - (setup as a GeforceNow streaming server for Shield TVs also runs witness for vsan)
Dell Precision 7610 with Xeon E5-1660 @ 3.3GHz and 32GBs of RAM - 1TBssd - & GTX1080 - again picked up on ebay the main system for $345 and added the GTX1080.​
Offsite Replication - (to my brothers house 1184 miles away)
DS1515+ with 2xDX513s with 10x3TBs and 5x6TBs - planning to replace this with PLEXGuide Gsuite setup in a separate VM just had not had the time to play with Gsuite setup yet.​

Servers are barely breaking a sweat and compared to several vms running the same services my footprint went down from 1.1TBs of used capacity on 9 VMs to only 95GB (including metadata) on 1 VM with 19 containers. I guess all those Windows OS's, and patches were eating up alot more space than I thought. I also recently started converting library to web-optimized mp4s with external SRTs which has severely reduced trans-coding requests. I have converted about 50% of my library and dedicated the gaming server (when not in use) and the passive cluster node as handbrake trans-code engines which is helping move that along.

So in summary if you optimize your library and limit trans-codes you server requirements are pretty minimal. If you have a lot of trans-coding requirements then PLEX it self will be your CPU hawg. Plan accordingly based on that. All the other pieces barely touch the cpu and likely could get away with a celeron nuc if you eliminate trans-coding all together.

wpjonesnh

Blitz 3rd Class
Donor
a 2 node VSphere 6.7 - Vsan Cluster (licenses from VMUG Advantage subscription $200 yr)
each node is a
Dell R220 with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz & 32GBs of RAM - 2x1Gbe Nics - 1x256GB SSD (Vsan cache) and 1x2TB SSD (Vsan data). - picked up on ebay for $550 each. added drives.​
Primary Media Storage : (movies, tv shows, books, comics etc..)
Qty 2 - Synology RS1912+s each with 8x6TBs 7.2k SATAs in a SHR-2 (they are set to replicate to each other via cloud station server a-sync) - these are new and without drives were about $1k ea.​
Gaming Server - (setup as a GeforceNow streaming server for Shield TVs also runs witness for vsan)
Dell Precision 7610 with Xeon E5-1660 @ 3.3GHz and 32GBs of RAM - 1TBssd - & GTX1080 - again picked up on ebay the main system for $345 and added the GTX1080.​
Offsite Replication - (to my brothers house 1184 miles away)
DS1515+ with 2xDX513s with 10x3TBs and 5x6TBs - planning to replace this with PLEXGuide Gsuite setup in a separate VM just had not had the time to play with Gsuite setup yet.​
NICE SETUP!!!
I would like to implement offsite replication someday myself. I've been running plex for a number of years now and my library is pretty extensive ( ~15TB ) so would be nice to have this in dual locations. Someday :)

SirTranceALoT

Blitz Legioner
Staff
If you are planning on using your setup only for personal usage, you're going to be just fine with your $1000 since you won't be transcoding a zillion streams and such. As you can read above, some people are running pg inside a vm on an unraid system. You don't need a monster to run plex. In fact, it's built not to have to. Your fiber will be more then sufficiant should you want to use GSuite and upload your stuff to it. So make sure you have space to grab stuff. That's about it really.

MrDoob

Administrator
Project Manager
Sponsor
Donor
Realy 1000$

I build a Micro-PGuide.
For my brother.
Not transcode only local for Plex Streaming.

Internet [ GSuite ] > MPGuide > shield.

This komplet setup was 500€.
The Biggest bill was the NVIDIA shield.
184€

I will Post this Setup shortly.

astroshare

Blitz Sergeant
Donor
I have fiber available here but it's only 30Mbits upload to the advertised 1Gbit download, for an extra $60 bucks a month. Sucks, specially since it's an extra $60 bucks a month.

zippy

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
I have fiber available here but it's only 30Mbits upload to the advertised 1Gbit download, for an extra $60 bucks a month. Sucks, specially since it's an extra $60 bucks a month.
Better than my 10 up from Charter. Fucking charter.

djzidon

Blitz 1st Class
@zippy @MrDoob @SirTranceALoT I'm planning to move my content from Google Drive to a local setup, but I haven't started yet.

Is it necessary to have a NAS? I estimate all I need initially is 3 bays x 4TB (I have an 8TB collection at the moment), so couldn't I just set up a rackmount server and skip the NAS?

Obviously I'm brand new to setting up PG this way (I've only done remote VPS multiple times), so any info you can provide would be extremely helpful: pros, cons, links, software and hardware suggestions, brands, even thoughts on internet speed.

One thing I'm thinking about is going to a used Tech Store and seeing if they have a tower with 4-6 bays. Maybe this is enough for now?

I have a 50MB comcast plan, but actual speeds vary from 28-60 DL, and 4-10 UP. For this reason, I'm hesitant to move data down from gdrive - especially because they have a 1TB monthly data cap. I pay $30/month which is a deal, and I don't feel like upping it to $100 per month (for the 1GB plan). I have a feeling this will be the most challenging part to the whole deal. My best idea on this front is to ask my neighbor if I can use their 1Gig internet connection for a week, so that I can download all of my gdrive media to my setup.

I'm willing to shell out $500-$800, in order to have 100% control over streaming speeds and full ownership of my data. If the internet goes down, I'd like to still be able to stream across multiple local devices.

Reactions: zippy

MrDoob

Administrator
Project Manager
Sponsor
Donor
rackmountet NAS startet from 2.ooo till open end

for 500$ - 800$ is realy cheap ..

the biggeste price is only the HDD ,,,

i pay more then 3.500€ for 16 x 8 TB ..

my complete system ( unraid system) included all cost more then 8000€

so 500$ is not the big deal

Reactions: djzidon

zippy

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
@zippy @MrDoob @SirTranceALoT I'm planning to move my content from Google Drive to a local setup, but I haven't started yet.

Is it necessary to have a NAS? I estimate all I need initially is 3 bays x 4TB (I have an 8TB collection at the moment), so couldn't I just set up a rackmount server and skip the NAS?

Obviously I'm brand new to setting up PG this way (I've only done remote VPS multiple times), so any info you can provide would be extremely helpful: pros, cons, links, software and hardware suggestions, brands, even thoughts on internet speed.

One thing I'm thinking about is going to a used Tech Store and seeing if they have a tower with 4-6 bays. Maybe this is enough for now?

I have a 50MB comcast plan, but actual speeds vary from 28-60 DL, and 4-10 UP. For this reason, I'm hesitant to move data down from gdrive - especially because they have a 1TB monthly data cap. I pay $30/month which is a deal, and I don't feel like upping it to $100 per month (for the 1GB plan). I have a feeling this will be the most challenging part to the whole deal. My best idea on this front is to ask my neighbor if I can use their 1Gig internet connection for a week, so that I can download all of my gdrive media to my setup.

I'm willing to shell out $500-$800, in order to have 100% control over streaming speeds and full ownership of my data. If the internet goes down, I'd like to still be able to stream across multiple local devices.
I personally think it's better to have a NAS as it separated your media server from the storage. The NAS could be a custom new machine or a VM. I like having a NAS because I also use it for a file server holding a bunch of random crap and I feel safer with it being completely separate from a VM with PG on it. For it to run with PG I simply mount the NAS to my linux VM (/mnt/nas) and give that folder to each of my containers. When I want to add any type of media from radarr/sonarr I simply chose the directory to be /mnt/nas, it downloads it and then sonarr/radarr with move the files to the NAS and rename it.

As for the internet I would try to get your neighbors 1gb, or call Comcast and see if they'll let you upgrade for only a month and downloading all of your content that way.

If you want to use a hypervisor to create VMs for a NAS and PG, I use ESXI (not free, but licenses are fairly cheap on E-Bay). If you would like to sperate the PG and NAS with different servers, I would look into UnRaid or FreeNAS for the NAS.

Reactions: djzidon
Assists Greatly with Development Costs

zippy

Blitz 1st Class
Staff
@zippy Could you share specs + brand for either your NAS or VM? I'm close to pulling the trigger
Sure, I'm running A Dell Poweredge R410 bought off of Ebay for ~100, Inside are two Xeon E5620 @ 2.40GHz with 24gbs of ram that I bought separate. I'm running ESXI with a $5 key bought from Ebay. I'm using OpenMediaVault to create a NAS, I'm passing the drives through to the OMV VM. All of my harddrives are conneect externally to a pcie addon USB3.0 card. Both my NAS and PlexGuide VM are running off this server ontop of a few other VM's for builds of my applications or game server hosting.
I spent around $150 on the server, power is a little up there compared to other servers, but this one was so cheap I'd thought I take the bite until I can get a better, more modern power efficient one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Blitz Developer Donations

Trending