What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Ideas Failover gsuite storage

murkr

Blitz 1st Class
Donor
Hi, I wondered if it would be possible or a good idea to have a failover storage, so if pg detected that the media was offline it could start using a different instance automatically?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
@murkr it's an idea, but this will not happen. if your media goes offline, your containers shutdown. the problem with this suggestion your posting is that it creates tons of wild cards. Roll over to another gsuite? local drives? remote server? local server? This would be a programming nightmare and exceeds the scope of the project. Basically if you want to program and push :D go for it. Just being honest with you. If your media goes offline, most likely your internet is down and your plex container can't push anything out to anyone regardless.

murkr

Blitz 1st Class
Donor
@Admin9705 Perhaps I will have a look at what this involves to see if I can come up with anything. In theory with rclone you can mount more than 1 gdrive. It was more of a gdrive rollover on the same server (as I guess this is what most people use).

So to clarify, a dedicated server using gdrive was what I meant.

pYTTH

Blitz Legioner
Staff
not seen that happen, and if so you've got other problems anyway. even if u loose ur stuff you can be up and running in a few hours, just ask @MrDoob ;););)

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
yes, but guess what that means. then you have to program more keys, and logging and setting up in the interface. but if your current storage fails, then 99% of the time another gdrive will fail because it's likely the internet going down. So what your creating @murkr is scope creep. one change requires 20 changes and the problem your presenting sounds unrealistic because if your gdrive is down, most likely is because of your connection.

it's like deciding to put a new bath tub in your house on the second floor, but there are no water pipes in there. you then build the pipes, but then realize the tub cannot fit in the bathroom because it's only meant for a shower. so then you decide to expand the room, but the wall your tearing down has all the main electrical connections. so then you reroute the power, but then found out it cost $10000. you then work a second job to raise the money and soon as you pay for the job to be done, the tub collapses through the floor because it was never meant to hold that much weight with a tub full of water. i think you get what i mean by scope creep... where all along you could have just taken a shower on the 1st floor because ironically, your bedroom was on the first floor and adding it to second floor was an unforseen want :D

Basically, you'll have to decide if you personally want to code this and it will only be for you lol because it would have to match your setup.

Last edited:

murkr

Blitz 1st Class
Donor
Lol you may have misunderstood, there have been a few instances where gdrive account gets banned. So for example I have 2 gdrive accounts, a main and one that I backup to. I guess it's easy enough to just link a new gdrive if you see it goes down, just thought it may have been easier to implement. (Also I use gdrive rather than tdrive which is slightly more simple)

pYTTH

Blitz Legioner
Staff
means also 2x uploads, 2x implementation of gdrives etc.
in my eyes that's not what pgblitz is about, at least not for right now.

if u don't use a fake EDU account and don't share your gdrive links externaly you should not get banned. or just encrypt your stuff and you should be fine

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.