What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Ideas Emby strm Help

Mysterious-

Hi sorry putting this in the wrong section, dont know where else to disscus this. Does anybody know how play strm files in Emby? I tried kodi google drive export strm files. I get metadata and everything working in Emby but cant play the file. I get an error messge saying Playback error. I saw some posts floating around and people got around this fix, i tried there methods but dosnt seemed to work, also dont know how to set them up.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
Interesting idea....

Last edited:

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
well, it does work. This is Jellyfin running on strm files, no rclone mount and on the most crappy VPS (2 vCores, 4 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD). I swear the performance you see here is real. This is not hosted locally at my home. Files are stored on google drive and jellyfin is hosted on that shitass VPS. No transcoding is happening either.

I would seriously like to thank my channelx possy for thinking this trough and doing the necessary. You guys are fucking legends. Mind you this is a concept so not finished. It isn't working with teamdrive yet.

Last edited:

pro_engineer

Staff
Donor
Patron
well, it does work. This is Jellyfin running on strm files, no rclone mount and on the most crappy VPS (2 vCores, 4 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD). I swear the performance you see here is real. This is not hosted locally at my home. Files are stored on google drive and jellyfin is hosted on that shitass VPS. No transcoding is happening either.

I would seriously like to thank my channelx possy for thinking this trough and doing the necessary. You guys are fucking legends. Mind you this is a concept so not finished. It isn't working with teamdrive yet.

That video doesn't even do it justice. Quality is perfect and scrubbing is much better than plex. I even had it going on my phone in a browser window and it was champion.

Agree with @SirTranceALoT, the guys at CHX who made this are geniuses. The encodes of the content is the other 50% why this is possible. When the video doesnt need transcoding, life is better and higher quality ?

pro_engineer

Staff
Donor
Patron
Tried it, blew my mind. Quality is perfect and scrubbing is much better than plex. I even had it going on my phone in a browser window and it was champion.

Agree with @SirTranceALoT, the guys at CHX who made this are geniuses. The encodes of the content is the other 50% why this is possible. When the video doesnt need transcoding, life is better and higher quality ?

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
Oh and, for those that are still doubting this is working, I made another video showing that in the metadata settings the file is indeed a .strm file.

Somedude

Respected Member
Staff
As someone who has streamed from that server I can also attest that is works like they were saying.

Edit: Did we have a little "staff" circle... about the jellyfin project?

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
That video doesn't even do it justice. Quality is perfect and scrubbing is much better than plex. I even had it going on my phone in a browser window and it was champion.

Yeah exactly. This is what I meant with my endless ranting on about compatible media and encoding. And yeah, we couldn't have done this without our gang. Talent needs to be recognized. And we all did it in good fun haha. That's what you get when you have a passion for streaming. I'll make another video, showing it off in Kodi.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
As someone who has streamed from that server I can also attest that is works like they were saying.

Edit: Did we have a little "staff" circle... about the jellyfin project?
Well staff cirkle as in, we just rolled into it LOL.

Somedude

Respected Member
Staff
Well staff cirkle as in, we just rolled into it LOL.
Haha ya. Once everything is figured it would be awesome if someone posted a guide. I'm in the chats and only get the concept, not the implementation. I would like to make my own version. Maybe some of the information with Jellyfin can be used for Emby.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Staff
Yeah this works for emby too. And quite well actually. The reason we use jellyfin is that you get all the premium perks from emby. There is no lack of client support either anymore, they just need to be compiled. The reason for not having binaries is that jellyfin can actually be branded. In fact, thy have a whole tutorial section about it and you know what I did with the logo right? lol. so for them emby users, switch to jelly. It works fine and we'll see if we can have some apps compiled soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.