Discussion Docker volumes

goofballtech

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
PG Version
Server Type
Remote - Dedicated Server
So, i'm fair with docker at best. Have done enough to get the flow and how to get apps to share items. Been running on unraid for a while and giving PG a shot now.

So far (other than minor bugs about PGShield and community apps already addressed) my biggest thing is all these volumes getting created in the dockers on build.

Could someone please explain to me why we need so darn many volumes, many of which aren't even tied to anything? I went in and made all the '/downloads/' mapping in docker to all point to the same volume and that got me up and running but i can't help but think i am missing something fundamental that someone wiser than me had set up and i just did not understand.

Thanks for any wisdom to help me understand.

*edit-words

foolio

Blitz 1st Class
Backer
If I understand your ask. You are referring to volumes listed in portainer not attached to any container? I have 0 docker volumes not used by containers. But when I deployed an app/container that is no longer deployed that used a persistent volume but then removed the container without removing the volume. I had a few of them but just deleted them. (this can be useful if you need to redeploy that container later and wanted to keep that apps persistent data for later use) If you have no use for those volumes you can likely delete them.

goofballtech

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
i have deleted the unused one. The issue is that they recreate on each deploy. Right now i have 25 unused containers and 23 used ones.

Even for the used ones, they are mapped to /download... but not shared to other containers /download so they are all islands.

I could see a named volume call downloads and shared as the /downloads directory for all containers that need that access, another for incomplete-downloads for the programs that need an ?incomplete folder and have each of those be islands as those incompletes don't need sharing.

I am just trying to understand why even have them at all if they are random generated names and not even shared between the containers that need shared acceses. I fix them all and on next deploy of a container the mass rebuild kills them all again, orphans the unused ones from last build and makes some more random named ones. I haven't gone through the code to see if this is 100% accurate but in my three days of trying to get things working consistently it sure seems to be the output i am seeing

foolio

Blitz 1st Class
Backer
hmmmmm, so I can tell you I do not observe this behavior in my setup. I use torrents and the container I use for downloading has a binded mount to the filesystem for the temp space for downloads. I do not see this mass creation of docker volumes.

I just checked my portainer instance even with 31 containers deployed I only have 17 volumes of which all are attached to containers and only 12 of the 17 have the random generated names I assume as part of the scripts in pgblitz. The other 5 are from docker compose files of manually installed containers like guacamole, chevereto and a couple other apps I manually deployed.

Maybe someone else here can help you troubleshoot what you are seeing. Might be helpful to provide details of your setup i.e. version of pgblitz, what containers you are using and possibly what actions are you taking when you observe this behavior. also I assume your reference to containers is actually volumes? containers are usually eithier running or stopped.

goofballtech

Blitz 3rd Class
Original poster
i have done no adding of containers outside of pgblitz yet so its just core and community containers deployed so far. wanted to get those all happy before moving out into separate items.

By "other containers /download" i mean the way i have done it on my other install is:

Map volume 'downloads' as /downloads to sonarr, radarr, sabnzbd, and qbittorrent. That way they all share that data and sonarr and radarr will pull and sort from there into the main storage shares. So each container has a /downloads but they all reference a volume called downloads. I don't know i that makes it any clearer.

I have done little to nothing outside of the plexguide script though so all this stuff is certainly coming form in there somewhere.

PG version and server type are at the top of this thread as they are required to make a new thread. Running Sabnzbd, sonarr, radarr, qbittorrent for this portion. I have other running but not sure it's worth listing them all because the presence of other containers should change the reasoning for these having the volumes created as far as i am aware.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.