What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Dedicated Mac server and PG + Plex "outside". Can unionfs be a Samba share ?

remserwis

Hi
I just started my journey with PG and I am amazed... Power of sonarr and nzbd apps closed in dockers with all "background" preconfigured for Gsuite drive... blew my mind for two weeks when I was testing it across different server scenarios.

1) So as Hetzner is cheap and reliable EU locations limits it a little for UHD content (not impossible but noticeable worse)
2) I thought for a moment that hetzner for PG without plex (harvesting, uploading etc) and just plex on US VPS would be a solution to avoid transfer limits but this won't solve transcoding issues.

So now I am exploring US datacenters with mac mini colocation:
1) Can be an affordable solution ( macvault has a promo for 120$ unlimited transfer for the whole first year which is really cheap).
2) I would like to install PG in the VM (Parallels, or VBox for hardcore experience)
3) leave Plex and Jdownloader out of it as they will function much better outside dockers.
4) still using this mac for different purposes occasionally ( network controller etc)

As I am not too deep in administrating Linux (just enough to install, configure and do small modification in PG script) and just started PG experience I would like to ask the opinion about this setup.
I have 2 small questions also:

1) I would like to have two separate external IP's (one for the VM machine with PG, other for the main server with Plex waiting under simple domain http request (for easy access to my friends).
I think I will figure this out but if somebody has a tip I would be grateful.
2) I try to expose mnt/unionfs and mnt/downloads folders with samba to be mountable in OSX as this is the most important for plex to use PG rclone setup and Jdownloader to feed manually pulled content. No luck so far.

I hope somebody can support my way of thinking and I will be happy for any feedback/advice.

remserwis

Just an update, maybe useful for somebody.

1) Mounting unions in OSX is a little tricky - (have to setup password for samba user separately as it doesn't work by default). sudo smbpasswd -a <username>

2) After firs tests performance is really good. I started 3 streams with 4K UHD content ...worked flawlessly. when one of them was hardware transcoded for iPhone client (not beta). than processor usage spiked to almost 100% . I hope it's just because 4K UHD HDR material....but in general I am very happy.

Now just a little play with domains and IP's to make it flawless...and thanks to the PG homemade Netflix will be better than ever.

EDIT

PIC REMOVED !! BLUSH YOUR USERNAME AND THE IP !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bokito-38

this looks good.
i'm finding a solution for my MacMini 2012 plex server to use Gdrive.

I think what you have got running is what I need, can you explain for noobs like me some instructions how you did it.. ?
For example problems i'm facing now is runnig docker containers on MacOS, i cannot add custom folders.

remserwis

this looks good.
i'm finding a solution for my MacMini 2012 plex server to use Gdrive.

I think what you have got running is what I need, can you explain for noobs like me some instructions how you did it.. ?
For example problems, i'm facing now is runnig docker containers on MacOS, i cannot add custom folders.
1) I have MacMini dedicated server
2) Connecting via remote desktop
3) installed Parallels Desktop (virtual system Ubuntu 18.04). It's paid but I find it much easier than free Virtual Box
4) I ordered the second IP to assign it for Ubuntu
5) I have Jdownloader and Plex server instaled on Mac OSX for ease of use and hardware decoding
6) Everything else is on Linux image (try to install it manually without GUI - creates a lot of problems) via PGBlitz.
7) from config perspective the only difference is that you have to put external IP of MacMini whenever you connect plex in sonarr, radarr,ombi,etc

Last but not least you have to install samba on this Linux image and connect unionfs share in osx

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.