What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Discussion Data usage from PlexDrive

Assists Greatly with Development Costs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apothis

Donor
First off, this probably isnt a bug (and if it is, then not with plexguide) so sorry for posting in wrong forum, I wont be offended if you think it belongs better anywhere else :)

Just playing with plexguide for the first time, so big thanks for all the work that has clearly gone into it.

I'm only using the plex and plexdrive portions of it, running it locally, all my grabbing and uploading to gsuite is done offsite, so the data only comes into my local network on playback.

I've been running a plex/netdrive combo on a windows box (plex then feeds infuse on appletv as the end client, as the plex client on appletv is so bad). The thing I'm noticing, is how much data is being pulled down on the initial plex library scans. When I did that on the windows box, it was pretty painless and quick. (the slow part came on infuse importing from plex DLNA, I'm nowhere near that part yet). But just on adding my film lib to plex here, and its very modest, only around 6-700 films. The initial creating films bit on plex went quickly, it then took many hours to finish, and on looking at network stats, I can see that the box pulled down roughly 350gig of data before completing. I'm worried about the amount thats going to be used by the TV import (around 9000 episodes).

Appreciate this is probably a plexdrive question rather than plexguide, but is this normal behaviour? Is it so much less efficient than netdrive on windows?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
First off, this probably isnt a bug (and if it is, then not with plexguide) so sorry for posting in wrong forum, I wont be offended if you think it belongs better anywhere else :)

Just playing with plexguide for the first time, so big thanks for all the work that has clearly gone into it.

I'm only using the plex and plexdrive portions of it, running it locally, all my grabbing and uploading to gsuite is done offsite, so the data only comes into my local network on playback.

I've been running a plex/netdrive combo on a windows box (plex then feeds infuse on appletv as the end client, as the plex client on appletv is so bad). The thing I'm noticing, is how much data is being pulled down on the initial plex library scans. When I did that on the windows box, it was pretty painless and quick. (the slow part came on infuse importing from plex DLNA, I'm nowhere near that part yet). But just on adding my film lib to plex here, and its very modest, only around 6-700 films. The initial creating films bit on plex went quickly, it then took many hours to finish, and on looking at network stats, I can see that the box pulled down roughly 350gig of data before completing. I'm worried about the amount thats going to be used by the TV import (around 9000 episodes).

Appreciate this is probably a plexdrive question rather than plexguide, but is this normal behaviour? Is it so much less efficient than netdrive on windows?
I'm really unsure also. As long as your not pulling more than 10TB a day; but it's a good observation.

Apothis

Donor
I'm really unsure also. As long as your not pulling more than 10TB a day; but it's a good observation.
Its noticeable, because its running on my home network, and I only have a UK BT fibre connection, so 80/20mbs, so it saturating my download for a long time with the scan. TV scan has been going for 2 hrs and is only up to the series beginning with 'B', lol. Network download has been saturated for the whole time.

Reason I'm doing this is to move plex off the i7 windows box to a much lower powered i3 haswell nuc I used to use for Kodi. Transcoding is irrelevant within my network, if something is transcoding, then its not working right, so once scan is done, plex doest have a whole lot to actually do. I'm using it this way because plex matching is way better than infuse, but infuse has a much better video player

Thanks again for how simple plexguide makes setting it up tho, its really appreciated

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Its noticeable, because its running on my home network, and I only have a UK BT fibre connection, so 80/20mbs, so it saturating my download for a long time with the scan. TV scan has been going for 2 hrs and is only up to the series beginning with 'B', lol. Network download has been saturated for the whole time.

Reason I'm doing this is to move plex off the i7 windows box to a much lower powered i3 haswell nuc I used to use for Kodi. Transcoding is irrelevant within my network, if something is transcoding, then its not working right, so once scan is done, plex doest have a whole lot to actually do. I'm using it this way because plex matching is way better than infuse, but infuse has a much better video player

Thanks again for how simple plexguide makes setting it up tho, its really appreciated
i'm putting the pd4 as a selectable option, like u can pick either or (but not working yet; the mongodb service is being pain for it)

View attachment 254

Apothis

Donor
i'm putting the pd4 as a selectable option, like u can pick either or (but not working yet; the mongodb service is being pain for it)

View attachment 254
So you think PD4 would work better? Presume PD5 is whats currently installed then?

Since this morning, plex has processed about 1800 tv eps, and PD has pulled down another 150gig of data or so

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
So you think PD4 would work better? Presume PD5 is whats currently installed then?

Since this morning, plex has processed about 1800 tv eps, and PD has pulled down another 150gig of data or so
No idea, but it makes sense because it’s scanning through the files.

barryclamsworth

Legendary Member
Donor
This might explain why my home server experiment seems to be failing, left it running for three days and it managed to make it's way through only four or five films and no tv shows. I have since unplugged and planned on a complete reinstall thinking I'd messed up something but I might try and take the drive to work and run it there first.

Is it possible to just swap OS drives between boxes with linux? I know I can do this with windows and Mac but I'm not too sure about anything when it comes to linux, I've been learning for a year or two but I'm not as quick to pick it up like @Admin9705 .

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
This might explain why my home server experiment seems to be failing, left it running for three days and it managed to make it's way through only four or five films and no tv shows. I have since unplugged and planned on a complete reinstall thinking I'd messed up something but I might try and take the drive to work and run it there first.

Is it possible to just swap OS drives between boxes with linux? I know I can do this with windows and Mac but I'm not too sure about anything when it comes to linux, I've been learning for a year or two but I'm not as quick to pick it up like @Admin9705 .
I tried this a long time ago, use SMB windows and linux. I scrapped that idea a long time ago; it was slower for me.

barryclamsworth

Legendary Member
Donor
I'm not sure if I've made it clear, I'm going to pull the physical SSD drive out, take it to work and boot off it to do a full install and then bring it home with me and plug it back into the original box.

I have an ADSL1 connection at home (max of around 10 down and 1 up) and fibre at work (100/100)

razzamatazm

When plex does its scans, it doesn't download the whole file, just the header. I wonder if Infuse is trying to read the whole file to analyze or something. I would stick with basic plex if you're oging to use plexdrive

Apothis

Donor
This _is_ just plex, havent even hooked infuse up to it uet. Just the basic plex scan has so far pulled down 1.3TB of data over the last couple of days, on just the initial scan. And its still going.

jaredhobbs

Any resolution on this? I'm seeing the same behavior with plexdrive running on my Mac. Set it up yesterday and went to sleep. This morning got an alert from my ISP that I hit my monthly data cap (1024GB). Checked my router's download stats and sure enough, the Mac had downloaded a terabyte of data over night. I promptly unmounted the plexdrive until I can confirm this is expected behavior.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Any resolution on this? I'm seeing the same behavior with plexdrive running on my Mac. Set it up yesterday and went to sleep. This morning got an alert from my ISP that I hit my monthly data cap (1024GB). Checked my router's download stats and sure enough, the Mac had downloaded a terabyte of data over night. I promptly unmounted the plexdrive until I can confirm this is expected behavior.
I personally cannot answer. The program runs natively from how plexdrive operates. If you read up on their documentation, it's kind of sketchy. Knowing that plexdrive cache the files and reads through them technically, I would avoid the use of such a project on a 1TB bandwidth cap; I wish I knew more. You can maybe check their github. But if there is any info, please let us know. The author programmed everything in go.

You can try the rclone beta; but that might take some work on your end :D

jaredhobbs

Yeah, I'm paying for unlimited now after hitting that cap. I'd obviously rather drop that to save $50/month though. Does rclone also mount google drive through fuse?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Yeah, I'm paying for unlimited now after hitting that cap. I'd obviously rather drop that to save $50/month though. Does rclone also mount google drive through fuse?
yes, but you can trigger the API ban that route :D Check out rclone beta, still early; but there is hope :D

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
evil comcast right? or others.... mine is still free unlimited 500/50 - WoW internet

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager

Leon_CC

looks like i should get the comcast biss since it has unlimited data up an down

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
looks like i should get the comcast biss since it has unlimited data up an down
You can do with home. Their business cost more with slowe speeds. Home is 50 extra for unlimited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top NZB NewsGroups!

Members - Up To a 58% Discount!

Development Donations

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors