What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Community apps sometimes fail to update/add new apps - FIX

Assists Greatly with Development Costs
Status
Not open for further replies.

timekills

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
If you notice that some of the apps aren't the newest version and/or new apps that are on the GitHub page aren't showing up, it's a pretty easy fix.

Update: 6 FEB 2019. Original "fast" way was causing some issues for some folks who weren't sure how to ensure all the files in the communityapps folder were deleted. Below is a more drastic but sure-fire fix.

1. SSH into your server
2. Make sure you're either logged in as root, or add sudo to the beginning of each command below!
3. type cd /opt You should be in the /opt directory after this. Make sure you are before the next steps.
4. Type rm -r communityapps Remember you have to do these as root or use the command sudo rm -r communityapps
5. Type mkdir communityapps
6. Type chown -R 1000:1000 communityapps This sets the group and owner of the folder to 1000 instead of root.
7. Type chmod -R 775 communityapps This sets the permissions on the folder properly for reading, writing, and executing to the folder owners and group owners.
8. Type /usr/bin/git clone --origin origin https://github.com/Admin9705/PlexGuide-Community /opt/communityapps
9. Type cd / Go back to the root/top level directory
10. Run Plexguide and choose community apps again, and you will have the latest versions.

Last edited:

ukmdisturbed

If you notice that some of the apps aren't the newest version and/or new apps that are on the GitHub page aren't showing up, it's a pretty easy fix.

1. SSH into your server
2. cd /opt/communityapps
3. delete EVERYTHING in that folder. Including the .git, .DStore, etc
3a. ls -la to show all files
3b. rm -r *
3c. rm -r .* (it will tell you it's not going to recursively delete the actual "." or ".." listings as those are pointers to the current folder and parent folder.)
3d. ls -la again and everything should be gone. If not - then delete whatever is left.
4. Run Plexguide and choose community apps again, and it will redownload the latest versions.
When i follow these instruction the "." and ".." are not removed but the install still fails stating the /opt/communityapps already exists and is not empty. I am stuck, any ideas or help?

hoth

When i follow these instruction the "." and ".." are not removed but the install still fails stating the /opt/communityapps already exists and is not empty. I am stuck, any ideas or help?
Have the same issue. Try running “sudo usr/bin/git clone --origin origin https://github.com/Admin9705/PlexGuide-Community /opt/communityapps” and then start plexguide. Then go into the community apps menu and see if you’re still getting the error.

gooner1511

Hi guys,
Sorry to jump in I'm getting same error as hoth

folder exists and is not an empty directory
sits there with the message pulling update files -- please wait

its sat there for 10 mins nothing happening

Hasn't happened before
this is what the screen shows

Type a Selection | Press [ENTER]: 1
PLAY [localhost] **************************************************************************************************TASK [Cloning Community Apps] *************************************************************************************Wednesday 06 February 2019 14:43:24 +0000 (0:00:00.090) 0:00:00.090 **** fatal: [127.0.0.1]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "cmd": "/usr/bin/git clone --origin origin https://github.com/Admin9705/PlexGuide-Community /opt/communityapps", "msg": "fatal: destination path '/opt/communityapps' already exists and is not an empty directory.", "rc": 128, "stderr": "fatal: destination path '/opt/communityapps' already exists and is not an empty directory.\n", "stderr_lines": ["fatal: destination path '/opt/communityapps' already exists and is not an empty directory."], "stdout": "", "stdout_lines": []} to retry, use: --limit @/opt/plexguide/menu/pgbox/pgboxcommunity.retryPLAY RECAP *******************************************************************************************************127.0.0.1 : ok=0 changed=0 unreachable=0 failed=1 Wednesday 06 February 2019 14:43:24 +0000 (0:00:00.346) 0:00:00.436 **** =============================================================================== Cloning Community Apps -------------------------------------------------------------- 0.35s
? Pulling Update Files - Please Wait

timekills

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
@gooner1511

You said: "folder exists and is not an empty directory "

The error said: "fatal: destination path '/opt/communityapps' already exists and is not an empty directory.",

Soooo....did you try the instructions yet?

1. SSH into your server
2. cd /opt/communityapps
3. delete EVERYTHING in that folder. Including the .git, .DStore, etc

timekills

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
ssh into the server and delete /opt/communityapps folder, after that it worked for me.
The reason why I DON'T suggest that as the FIRST step, is because depending on the user permissions of logged in user, the folder may get re-created with wrong permissions (rwx setiings.)

It's safer to remove everything in the folder.

But at minimum, folks ought to try the instructions in the first post. That's why they're there.

gooner1511

Linux noob sorry for the questions..
Tried first post instructions again and am left with . and . . the apps folder deletes but when i try again it fails with the same response.

[email protected]plex:/opt/communityapps# rm -r .*
rm: refusing to remove '.' or '..' directory: skipping '.'
rm: refusing to remove '.' or '..' directory: skipping '..'
[email protected]plex:/opt/communityapps# ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 6 16:04 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 Feb 6 16:00 ..

after following first post instructions
i removed communityapps from the opt folder retried also same response

for someone like me who is not linux savvy i'm not sure what to do now

timekills

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
Linux noob sorry for the questions..
Tried first post instructions again and am left with . and . . the apps folder deletes but when i try again it fails with the same response.

[email protected]plex:/opt/communityapps# rm -r .*
rm: refusing to remove '.' or '..' directory: skipping '.'
rm: refusing to remove '.' or '..' directory: skipping '..'
[email protected]plex:/opt/communityapps# ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 6 16:04 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 Feb 6 16:00 ..

after following first post instructions
i removed communityapps from the opt folder retried also same response

for someone like me who is not linux savvy i'm not sure what to do now
The . and .. aren't folders. That's what 3c was trying to say in the original post before I updated it. So those will show up as "pointers" to the next higher directory (..) and the current directory (.) in every folder.

That's why when you type "cd .." it changes to the .. directory - which is a pointer to move up to the parent directory.
I..E if you are in /mnt/gdrive and type cd .. it will take you to /mnt
And if you type cd .. again while in /mnt it take you to the root directory /

Anyhow try this:
cd /opt
rm -r communityapps/
mkdir communityapps
chown -R 1000:1000 communityapps/
chmod -R 775 communityapps/
/usr/bin/git clone --origin origin https://github.com/Admin9705/PlexGuide-Community /opt/communityapps
cd /
plexguide

Then check and see if the communityapps works. Bet it does.

I've adjusted the first post to reflect this method.

Last edited:

ukmdisturbed

The . and .. aren't folders. That's what 3c was trying to say in the original post before I updated it. So those will show up as "pointers" to the next higher directory (..) and the current directory (.) in every folder.

That's why when you type "cd .." it changes to the .. directory - which is a pointer to move up to the parent directory.
I..E if you are in /mnt/gdrive and type cd .. it will take you to /mnt
And if you type cd .. again while in /mnt it take you to the root directory /

Anyhow try this:
cd /opt
rm -r communityapps/
mkdir communityapps
chown -R 1000:1000 communityapps/
chmod -R 775 communityapps/
/usr/bin/git clone --origin origin https://github.com/Admin9705/PlexGuide-Community /opt/communityapps
cd /
plexguide

Then check and see if the communityapps works. Bet it does.

I've adjusted the first post to reflect this method.
This is the way i fixed it too, unfortunately i didn't see this and trial and error but it does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.