What's new
PGBlitz.com

Register Now! Find useful tips, Interact /w Community Members and join the part the Best Community on the Internet!

Solved Cloudflare CDN instuctions added to wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

timekills

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
PG Version
Server Type
Remote - Dedicated Server
The "this doesn't work for me" or "how do I use this" seems to come up about every two weeks with so many different responses that it is difficult to search for and find an actual tested by many people as working solution.

Here you go:

xxKrypto

Thanks for this. Was wondering if I have it setup correctly and made a few changes per what is written. Is there any tools or tests that can be run to see if it is working correctly? I think it would be possible if a benchmark had been done prior to setup but I did not do one and don't feel like disabling it just to test.

timekills

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
Thanks for this. Was wondering if I have it setup correctly and made a few changes per what is written. Is there any tools or tests that can be run to see if it is working correctly? I think it would be possible if a benchmark had been done prior to setup but I did not do one and don't feel like disabling it just to test.
Not definitively, however you could install the Speedtest app and use it with Cloudflare orange cloud enabled and with the orange cloud no enabled (i.e. bypassed) to see what the latency and bandwidth is.
Have to make sure you check the IP that the speedtest.yourdomain.com resolves to before you run the check, because your computer will cache the IP and it won't immediately use the CDN or bypass (actual server) IP when you switch it on or off. It will take a few minutes to propagate.

xxKrypto

So after I made the changes, my speed test is quite bad. Also some users are having trouble streaming. Noteably, a PS4 user is having trouble. I remember passing over a thread that said the PS4 does not support SSL Plex so is that the issue? VPS has a gigabit line and I only get 10mbit download on my end as well.

Also, is it possible to code the install/deployment of plexguide to use the cloud flare API to auto create the sub domain? I believe this is possible but it is only a convenience since you have to add it once and then done.

EDIT: Added a pic of my cloudflare setup

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MrDoob

How to Enable Secure Connections
Enabling the ability to connect securely with your Plex Media Server is actually really easy. In fact, in a default installation, there isn’t even anything special you need to do, since things will already be set up for you.
  1. Secure connections require Plex Media Server version 0.9.12.3 or newer. So, make sure you’re running a current version of the server.
  2. Sign in to your Plex account in the server.
  3. Under Settings > Server > Network in the Plex Web App, make sure that the Secure Connections preference is not disabled (we recommend leaving it at the default setting of Preferred).

Which Apps Support Secure Connections?
The following Plex apps will support secure connections to your Plex Media Server:
  • Amazon Fire TV
  • Android (mobile)
  • Android TV
  • Apple TV
  • Chromecast
  • iOS
  • PlayStation 4 (PS3 has device limitations)
  • Plex Home Theater
  • Plex Media Player
  • Plex Web App
  • Roku
  • Smart TVs and TiVo
    • LG (“NetCast” only)
    • Panasonic
    • Samsung (2016+ models)
    • TiVo (Series 6 devices)
    • Vizio (2017+ models)
  • Sonos
  • Windows and Windows Phone
  • Xbox One (Xbox 360 has device limitations)
  • NVIDIA Shield

Trasher

Respected Member
Which Apps Support Secure Connections?
The following Plex apps will support secure connections to your Plex Media Server:
  • Amazon Fire TV
  • Android (mobile)
  • Android TV
  • Apple TV
  • Chromecast
  • iOS
  • PlayStation 4 (PS3 has device limitations)
  • Plex Home Theater
  • Plex Media Player
  • Plex Web App
  • Roku
  • Smart TVs and TiVo
    • LG (“NetCast” only)
    • Panasonic
    • Samsung (2016+ models)
    • TiVo (Series 6 devices)
    • Vizio (2017+ models)
  • Sonos
  • Windows and Windows Phone
  • Xbox One (Xbox 360 has device limitations)
Does this mean the PS4 work with Plex routed through Cloudflare? I was under the impression it did not work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.